Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pay attention on the water

TalleyHo

Unless the Coast Guard boat had emergency lights going my opinion is that they were in the wrong. The vessel on the right has the right of way.

But having the right of way does not keep you from getting run over!

Edited by BillFooter
Unless the Coast Guard boat had emergency lights going my opinion is that they were in the wrong. The vessel on the right has the right of way.

But having the right of way does not keep you from getting run over!

I agree, but anytime I'm on the water I'm watching for the lakecops. If they're anywhere close, I usually know it. I'll give them the right-of-way for no other reason than I don't want to draw their attention and have to do the standard life-preserver check. If I were in the small boat's position, I would've made sure to steer behind them.

Besides, isn't there something that says the bigger boat has the right-of-way? Because the bigger boat can't react as fast as the smaller boat can?

The CG Aux boat should have yielded and then pursued the smaller boat if they failed to stay out of the area.

The little boat was watching the big tour boat to his right. But he was an idiot for not looking all around, that's for sure.

If the skipper on the coast Guard boat is trying to hail the speed boat on a PA well right away or not maybe he needs to respond so not to crash. You need to think the other person is clueless not just keep going. Just no excuse in MHO. for aether of them.

The CG could have just throttled down and then deal w/ the issue once the other boat had passed. The smaller boat needs to be aware of his surroundings which he clearly wasn't. Just unfortunate but amazing no one got injured.