Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX question

MadDogMike

I used to have a '97 "Sunsetter" VLX. That exact same hull later became the "Wakesetter" VLX. At some point, Malibu released a new Sunsetter VLX which supposedly had a wake more suited for slalom, while the Wakesetter VLX continued as the wakeboard flagship.

My question is, when did the "slalom friendly" Sunsetter VLX come out? The reason I ask is that I found what seems to be a great deal on a 2002 Sunsetter VLX. However, I want the wakeboard hull, not the slalom hull. Is the hull on this 2002 Sunsetter VLX the same as the famed Wakestter VLX or not?

Thanks,

Mike

That's interesting.....according to the chart Ronnie posted there was no Sunsetter VLX in 2002. I know my 01 SSVLX is the SV23 Diamond (non-wake hull v drive), and it was the first year for that. So any thing 2000 and earlier would be the wake hull. And it looks like in 2002 that changed to the Sunscape LSV.

The sportster is a wake hull? Crazy.gif

The VLX is on the same hull the sv23 until 2005 when it was changed to the sv25. The Sunsetter VLX in the early days was offered with the wakesetter package the MLS (front ski locker ballast), tower and wedge. In '01 they started to offer the diamond hull on the SVLX, so to clear that up the Sunsetter VLX vs. the Wakesetter VLX the SVLX essentially became the LSV in '02. Therefore, you want either the sv23wake/sv25wake hulls for the premier wakeboard boat.

That's interesting.....according to the chart Ronnie posted there was no Sunsetter VLX in 2002.

My bad, it is a 2000, not 2002. So, it sounds like it should be the wake hull.

Thanks guys,

Mike

Edited by MadDogMike
  • 5 months later...

How big is the difference in wake between the SV23 Diamond and the SV23 Wake hulls? I'm seeing some decent deals on Sunscapes out there. I'm wondering, with decent ballast, and maybe the wedge, if the wake will be that much different than a VLX?

Edited by MadDogMike
How big is the difference in wake between the SV23 Diamond and the SV23 Wake hulls? I'm seeing some decent deals on Sunscapes out there. I'm wondering, with decent ballast, and maybe the wedge, if the wake will be that much different than a VLX?

You will need to weight the diamond hull more and especially get some weight up in the bow, but it will put out a very respectable boarding wake. It will not, however, be the same as the VLX with a wake hull. The ski wake, though, is much superior to the ski wake put out by the wake hull. I had an '01 SSVLX on the diamond hull and it was an awesome boat.