Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Freezing Concerns

Going to get the boat out of the garage this weekend and take it the dealer to get 50 hour service done and get it ready for the start of the season. I was planning then dropping it in the water and putting it up in the lift. I figured we would not be getting any more 32 degree or lower evenings down here in North Carolina. But low and behold the weather forecast for Monday night is a low of 30 degrees.

What are your thoughts - do I run the risk of anything freezing in the boat if the temperature does get down to as low as 30 for just one night? Am I better off putting it back in the garage and wait until after Monday to put it up in the lift?

Here in Austin we get below freezing a couple of times in the winter. People around here pretty much agree that you don't need to worry about anything if it is just for a night -- especially if the weather gets back above freezing during the day. They say it takes about 2 days of below freezing for the water to freeze inside the block...***

we've had several overnight freezes that I never drained the block with no probs... but like I said - if it is likely it will be below freezing for more than a day or so - drain it.

*** no warranties /guarantees claimed or implied - do at your own risk :)

Here in Austin we get below freezing a couple of times in the winter. People around here pretty much agree that you don't need to worry about anything if it is just for a night -- especially if the weather gets back above freezing during the day. They say it takes about 2 days of below freezing for the water to freeze inside the block...***

we've had several overnight freezes that I never drained the block with no probs... but like I said - if it is likely it will be below freezing for more than a day or so - drain it.

*** no warranties /guarantees claimed or implied - do at your own risk :)

This is what most people say--but my neighbor's block froze last year when it hit 27 degrees unexpectedly in early October and that was a $5k problem. I'd feel much safer with a drop light in the engine compartment if it is outside and drops below 28 degrees.

You are in the same boat I was two weeks ago. Toss a 60 watt drop light in the engine compartment and cover it.

Here is my thread with accompanying advice:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....;hl=dewinterize

Plus1.gif The boat over open water is warmer than the air and it takes time for the temp to get bad enough for a hard freeze. But the drop light will keep the dog house and engine from freezing.

I do it in the spring and fall up in Mi. and had some nights go into the hi twenty's. as long as the day temps are holding above freezing you should be good. I will admit I sleep barter when its not freezing but never had any problem with the light in the dog house.

If the boat is in the water and it's only going to be freezing for one night, go out in the boat and get it up to operating temperature before you head into bed for the night.

I think the heat from the engine in the engine compartment would keep the entire engine from hitting the freezing point overnight even if the temperature falls below freezing.

If your boat has a heater I'd be a lot more worried about that freezing. A light bulb in the engine compartment or doing what CLS says should protect you for a night. In fact, if you do what CLS says, then cover your boat and keep it out of the wind (if you have a canopy on your hoist maybe), the engine should keep the heater core in good shape too. If you don't have access to electricity, and don't want to start your boat, you can blow out the heater core with a strong set of lungs.

Edited by UWSkier

Take the boat out for a ride at dusk, then put it to bed with 160* water in the engine.

{edit} whoops somehow missed CLS's post.

Edited by electricjohn

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Supposed to get down to about 29 degrees tomorrow night. My boat has a closed cooling system and therefore its anti-freeze that runs through the heater. Sounds like that is the area I would normally most have to worry about freezing first - with the closed cooling system the heater should not be a problem. All in all with temps just barely dipping below freezing for a few hours on one night, sounds like I don't really have to worry about the engine block freezing at all.

your block will be fine for sure, the heater is going to be the first trouble spot but if you have antifreeze in there already you're good.

In SE Wisconsin we tend to drop in a little early and out a little late. The boat over the open water is going to help. There are mornings that there's frost on the ground everywhere on the way to the lake. I walk down the yard and find the frost stops 50' from the lake because of that nice warm water. Well, warmer than the air anyway. The light in the boat is a great peace of mind/safety net just incase. I put a blue tarp over my car in Northern Minnesota when the gas line froze one winter...6 hours with a 100Watt lighbulb under there and it was thawed out just fine. It was well below 0 the entire time with a howling wind.