Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 SLXi Engine

kknudsen12

Just looking at a 1999 Sunsetter LXi online. It says it has a 310hp engine. Is that correct? From what I see, the SLXi of that year should have a Monsoon II 325hp engine. Unfortunately, the boat is in storage now and they didn't know off hand any of the engine specifics, including whether it's carbureted or fuel-injected. I really hope they're wrong on the Indmar 310hp thing, because that would be a carbureted engine, right? Hopefully someone knows more about this than I do and can share his or her knowledge!

You are correct. 310 HP would be a carbed boat. I've got a 310 carbie in my Sporty and have never had an ounce of trouble from it. I actually bought a rebuild kit expecting to have used it by now but haven't had to. If it's a good deal I wouldn't let a carb be a deal killer. Others may disagree.

Wow, quick replies! This forum is great! I did speak too soon, as I saw the 310hp was the base engine for that year. In comparing the pictures of the engine with pictures of Monsoon II engines, they look identical... would they? or should the 310hp engine be different looking?

The 310 has a blue flame arrester and pretty much looks like a carb

The 325 Monsoon has a carbon fiber (looking) flame arrester and has fuel injectors and other neat stuff (more wires)

You are correct. 310 HP would be a carbed boat. I've got a 310 carbie in my Sporty and have never had an ounce of trouble from it. I actually bought a rebuild kit expecting to have used it by now but haven't had to. If it's a good deal I wouldn't let a carb be a deal killer. Others may disagree.

I completely agree with NorCaliBu. I've owned 5 different boats in the past 12 years (2 Mastercraft ProStar 190 ...1 carbed, one FI; a carbed Brendella; a carbed Supra; and my 98 Echelon with the FI Monsson), so I have a lot of experience with both carbed and FI. My $.02 worth would be make sure everything else is in shape as a good sound boat. If so, you'll get just as much enjoyment with a carbed engine as you would with FI. Just be sure to pay attention to the carb to make sure it stays clean (jets, bowl gaskets, float, etc.) Also, some engines are throttle body injection which is also a good set-up. Kindof a hybrid FI- carb. Good luck.

The 325 Monsoon has a carbon fiber (looking) flame arrester and has fuel injectors and other neat stuff (more wires)

Yup, exactly.

Yup, exactly.

Besides teh obvious benefits of FI, if you vary elevation a lot, teh carb will give you problems. We used to run our old boat at sea level, and 5200ft, and it ran like crap if we didnt' tune it differently every time.

From the limited amout of photos, it looks like a pretty clean boat. Can you test ride it easily? 99 - 04 SLXi's are great boats.

Just looking at a 1999 Sunsetter LXi online. It says it has a 310hp engine. Is that correct? From what I see, the SLXi of that year should have a Monsoon II 325hp engine. Unfortunately, the boat is in storage now and they didn't know off hand any of the engine specifics, including whether it's carbureted or fuel-injected. I really hope they're wrong on the Indmar 310hp thing, because that would be a carbureted engine, right? Hopefully someone knows more about this than I do and can share his or her knowledge!

Where are you located? I have a 99 Sunsetter LXi for sale too. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=13039

310 Carbie will have more torque out of the hole than 320 fuel injected.

When I was prop shopping at ACME and OJ..... I got to speak with Eric Johnson at OJ..... who confirmed that 310 carbie had more low end torque than early Monsoons. It's why Malibu had to lower the standard prop they put on the early Monsoon boats from the 13 X13 to a flatter pitch.

Another piece of info. HP is simply a math calculation that includes torque X RPM. The carbie gets max HP at 4800 rpm.... the Monsoon at 5200 rpm. Since the hp's are almost identicle, but the carbie is spinning slower, the math says the carbie would be putting out more torque.

Whatever...... drive it. I think you'll be amazed at the low end grunt the carbie has.

Sure, you may like the idea of EFI..... but let the actual performance be your true guide.

Having said that.... when you're making the purchase deal, you want to whine and moan and complain that you really wanted the EFI.... so that you can drive the price down.

doughickey, I totally understand about complaining about a carbed boat... makes perfect sense! This boat, however, is apparently EFI, which I'm happy about. Like the way they start, plus better resale.

We're located in MN, so a trip to Oregon is probably stretching it.

The other thing is that we just bought a brand new lift and canopy (FLOE) last year. Unfortunately, we only got the 22' canopy. Of course, we could buy another, but that's a pain and will cost a handful of money. It might make sense to spend that extra money on a boat. So... we're going to take a closer look at the RLXi's, with hopes of finding something within our price range (was originally up to $25K, but may be willing to go a bit above that).

Any comments on the SLXi vs. the RLXi?

I suppose this thread is now getting off topic... I do appreciate all your help though!

They are both great boats. To sum up their main differences in as few words as possible... the RLXi has a slight edge in the course and the SLXi is roomier. Personally, I feel you can never have too much room in a boat.

I had been going between the two for a while myself, and decided on a 2000 SLXI this past fall. I mainly course ski, but I also occasionally wakeboard/surf (75% ski, 25% other). But the main deterent for the RLXi, was the fact that I wouldn't be comfortable taking it out on Minnetonka, which I wanted to be able to do. If I only skied, and was only using it on smaller lakes, I would have a RLXI no question!

Edited by Brodie

I had been going between the two for a while myself, and decided on a 2000 SLXI this past fall. I mainly course ski, but I also occasionally wakeboard/surf (75% ski, 25% other). But the main deterent for the RLXi, was the fact that I wouldn't be comfortable taking it out on Minnetonka, which I wanted to be able to do. If I only skied, and was only using it on smaller lakes, I would have a RLXI no question!

Brodie, we're from MN too, but our lake place is West of the cities a couple hours and is on a small (~250 acre) lake. So considering we're boating on a tiny lake like that, you would for for the RLXi?

Brodie, we're from MN too, but our lake place is West of the cities a couple hours and is on a small (~250 acre) lake. So considering we're boating on a tiny lake like that, you would for for the RLXi?

It all depends on what you want to use it for, and how big your usual crew is. If you want a premier slalom boat that handles like a sports car, then get the RLXI. If you want a little more room, and don't want to spend as much, then get the SLXI. Both boats are great. ON your lake, waves will never be an issue, and since you will never be far from the dock, the extra room may not be needed, but you will pay more for the RLXI.

I agree that is an EFI. My best ski buddy has a 99 Slxi carb 210 hp. I love his boat as a mater of fact it cost me a lot of money! IT made me come over from another brand it skied so good.

As stated above the size of the Slxi is very nice it is in MHO the best crossover boat better on the ski side but a good wake boat maybe very good if you put some weight in it, but still good with just the wedge. I have a 07 Rlxi we ski at 36mph at 35 off and if I close my eyes I can't tell which boat I am behind. The Slxi is less weight sensitive If you ski with only a driver ( but I never do that ha ha )

It should fit under your canapé and you could use a cover on the swim platform. I keep my boat on the lift all summer I still put the cover on and raise it up under the cover over night or if I am not using it. It keeps it clean.

Good luck on your search but the Slxi can be hard to find so if it is what you want don't wait to long if it looks good. The pictures look good we have one on our lake looks just the same nice boat.

I’ve skied many times on a very small lake and the SLXI size was never an issue. Brodie hit the points about crossover and lakes w/ larger waves. The size of the rear trunk alone is a great benefit everything can go in it. Cost wise the RLXI’s will be more.