Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow Light Bulb Replacement ?

Realized at the end of my final clean-up & system check on my 01 SLXi that the bow light wasn't working. Oh well - something to tackle in the spring.

I realize it could be a whole mess of things, but want to start with the most likely culprit first - the bulb...

I believe it's a Perko bow light similar to this. I haven't been able to find any

The question is, how do I remove the bulb?

I didn't spend a lot of time messing it, but didn't see any obvious way to remove the colored lens. The only fasteners I see are 2 screws going down through the base apparently to attach it to the boat.

Do I need to remove the whole bow light from the boat to replace the bulb from the bottom?

Or did I miss another easy way to get at the bulb?

I will have some free time this weekend and plan on replacing it then.

Thanks in advance.

Realized at the end of my final clean-up & system check on my 01 SLXi that the bow light wasn't working. Oh well - something to tackle in the spring.

I realize it could be a whole mess of things, but want to start with the most likely culprit first - the bulb...

I believe it's a Perko bow light similar to this. I haven't been able to find any

I didn't spend a lot of time messing it, but didn't see any obvious way to remove the colored lens. The only fasteners I see are 2 screws going down through the base apparently to attach it to the boat.

Do I need to remove the whole bow light from the boat to replace the bulb from the bottom?

Thanks in advance.

From my experiences, you have to pull the whole light off and then it comes apart to access the bulb. Don't forget to replace the colored lenses on the correct sides...or you get an angry fisherman yelling at you that you screwed it up (voice of experience). Have hun.

There is 2 screws you take out and it comes apart from the boat and then there are 3 little screws on the bottom. It comes apart and take the bulb to your local boat or automotive store and they can match it up for you. Its not hard at all

Thanks Guys... From the quick look I did, I thought I'd have to remove it from boat to replace the bulb, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something easier.

As usual here, within a few hours, multiple answers.

:werule:

Turns out that I really didn't have to remove the 3 screws from the bottom of the light.

There is a little panel there that holds the bulb with a tab towards the lens.

I was pretty crusty and I thought about cleaning the contacts, but one cap has come off the bulb.

Edited by weinrdog
  • 1 month later...

Thanks in advance.

IT might not even be the bulb the wires in the bow are clamped not wire nutted so bounceing around on the lake might of loosed the conection up or a loose bulb conection if that's not it then change the bulb yes you do need to take the whole light ficture off but it was pritty easy

Since you've got it apart (unless you already put it back together), swap an LED bulb in there. You won't have to replace it ever again, and it's MUCH cooler to the touch, so you won't burn your hand on the light at night (been there, done that).

It's been back together for about a month. I did think about changing to an LED bulb, but didn't have the time to search for a good replacement LED version matching 180 degrees & bright enough.

An LED could have had the same problem as the last bulb - one of the end caps came loose & broke the wires between the end-cap and the filament.