Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing Hard Tanks

jesutton3

I'm in the process of changing out the rear hard tanks to sacs in my 01 VLX. It is my best understanding that the tanks were not availble this year, so someone else had to install them later. I'm having a hard time seeing how the tanks will come out of the locker. I know its a tight fit but I have no clue how they come out. Is there a trick to removing the tanks that I don't know about?

I have removed mine and re-installed them several times. (had some leak issues) They will come out...just have to work with them a little. My boat (06 Vride) has a carpeted panel between the engine compartment and the rear seat on each side. I remove that panel (3 or 4 screws) on each side. That gives me a couple extra inches of wiggle room to get the tanks out. I believe once that panel is out I have enough room to push them forward and then lift up the rear ends of the tanks to get them free.

Not sure if you have those same panels in your boat but I know our hulls are boats are basically the same. Hope this helps...

Tim

James, get them out. remove all of the hardware, pumps, fittings and panels and start wiggling them out. If that doesn't work use the sawzall. Cut them out, whatever it takes. they fit in the trash can easier if you cut them out.

the motor dividers are one piece on the 01's and if you cut it in half and tap new holes for more knob scews you can get to the motor a whole lot easier for oil changes too.

I already have the the front wall removed, guess I'll try pulling the fittings out for some extra room.

Dave those one piece dividers are a big pain with the hard tanks in. I'm gonna give them another shot when the tanks are gone. But if they're still a pain I believe I'll have to give that idea a try. Did you have to brace your dividers at all when you installed your sacs?

Nope just get-r-done

Come on how hard is this? Dontknow.gif All you should have to do is just remove all hose's and screws holding it down, move it to the back and tilt the front up and out of the locker.

James,

No bracing is needed. even with 750's you won't need to brace.

I'm taking the tarp off ours and charging the batteries tonight. I hope I don't find anything living in after the winter.

Nope just get-r-done

Come on how hard is this? Dontknow.gif All you should have to do is just remove all hose's and screws holding it down, move it to the back and tilt the front up and out of the locker.

Thats what I thought but it just doesn't seem to work out that way.