Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much transmission fluid???

Some you may remember my post a while back about me dropping a straw in my transmission. Fast forward 4 months, lots of pissed off nights, use of an endo scope, and a red hot sharpened coat hanger (don't ask) and me a my buddy FINALLY got it out Yahoo.gif

At any rate, we siphoned all the transmission fluid out (at different times). I don't have a way to measure the volume of what I siphoned out. Can anyone provide the amout of fluid needed to fill a completly dry transmission???

Some you may remember my post a while back about me dropping a straw in my transmission. Fast forward 4 months, lots of pissed off nights, use of an endo scope, and a red hot sharpened coat hanger (don't ask) and me a my buddy FINALLY got it out Yahoo.gif

At any rate, we siphoned all the transmission fluid out (at different times). I don't have a way to measure the volume of what I siphoned out. Can anyone provide the amout of fluid needed to fill a completly dry transmission???

It will depend on your transmission type. I was reading my manual last night (I am getting ready to change the fluid in mine as well), and it stated that the amount ranged from 1.6 to 2.12 quarts depending on the type of transmission. They recommended to fill the transmission, and then after running for a few minutes (to fill the lines and cooler) and check the level with the dip stick. Remember when checking with the dip stick you DO NOT screw the dip stick back in after removing and wiping it off. Just place it back on top without screwing it in and then ckeck to ensure that the levels are between the "Low" and "High" marks on the dip stick. And of course the boat should be level when checking. After checking and filling.....THEN be sure to screw the dip stick all the way back in.

Remember when checking with the dip stick you DO NOT screw the dip stick back in after removing and wiping it off. Just place it back on top without screwing it in and then ckeck to ensure that the levels are between the "Low" and "High" marks on the dip stick. And of course the boat should be level when checking. After checking and filling.....THEN be sure to screw the dip stick all the way back in.

It depends on what type of trans you have. For my velvet drive 1:1 the manufacturer states that you place it in all the way.

1. Remove the dipstick and wipe with a clean towel.

2. Insert the dipstick completely (do not screw in

threaded dipstick to check fluid). Remove the dipstick

and read fluid level.

3. Return dipstick after level check. Make sure it is

secured in place.

4. If level is below “ADD” mark, add the proper fluid until

it reaches the full mark. Add fluid through same tube

as you removed the transmission dipstick.

The above came directly from Indmar Owner's Manual.

Edited by skistud1

Using a siphon, it took 56 oz's to refill mine. Dropping the drain plate, 65 oz's. Book says it holds 2.12 qts, which is almost 68 oz's. Zurth 450 trans.

{edit} Where did you find the straw?

Edited by electricjohn

At first the straw was on the starbord side of the transmission sump (on the other side of the sump from the fill hole, under where the shaft passes through). It was quite a miracle we got it out. We just lucked out and knocked it into the right place with a parts grabber...once I could see it through the fill hole I knew it was only a matter of time.

Rockon.gif

At first the straw was on the starbord side of the transmission sump (on the other side of the sump from the fill hole, under where the shaft passes through). It was quite a miracle we got it out. We just lucked out and knocked it into the right place with a parts grabber...once I could see it through the fill hole I knew it was only a matter of time.

Rockon.gif

Wish I could have sat and Beer.gif when you did this job. Glad you got it. Thumbup.gif