Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LXi length

kknudsen12

Hi,

We're currently looking for a good used boat. I really like the RLXi, although I'm not sure we will be able to find one in our price range. Anyway, I know the length of these boats is 20' 6", but what is the total length including the swim platform? Right now we only have a 22' canopy, and so I'm thinking the RLXi might be too long to fit. I guess we could purchase a new canopy, but we just got this one last year! Thanks-

The platform should add a couple of feet to the boat. Does it really make a difference if the platform stick out past the end of the canopy? It doesn't really care if it gets wet, but it will deteriorate a bit faster w/o a cover and need more frequent oiling to stay looking good.

I don't have an exact number, but I have mine in a 24 foot garage and it takes about 23 feet of that garage including the trailer with the tongue folded back.

I would say the whole mess is 23.5 or 24 feet. I had a 20 foot canopy and rain was hitting the bow / folded back trailer tongue and/or the platform which bugged me. I was able to talk the manufacturer into sending me another section of frame for an extra 5 feet of canopy. The corrugated roof material was available at Lowes, same pattern & color in 10 foot lengths so I just overlapped the additional material and now I have a 25 foot canopy for a little over the price of a 20. Everything stays nice & dry. :-)

You could always remove the platform. I have mine in a 20' canopy and it is totally covered. I just remove the platform every time I put it away.

Maybe I wasn't totally clear. The canopy is for a boat lift. We have a place on a lake, so the boat will stay on the lift essentially the entire summer, rather than taking it out of the water and storing it on the trailer.

Do you think it doesn't make much difference if a little of the platform isn't covered? I realize it's not nearly as important as the boat itself, but I don't want to ruin it either.

On another note, what would you recommend as other options for a similar boat? An open bow is a must as this is going to be a family boat, not just a ski boat. And I think a walk-through would be preferable to a step over type like the RLX. I realize this is a Malibu forum, but maybe someone has other suggestions. I've thought of the Ski Nautique Open Bow, the Sport Nautique, Prostar 195 or 205... any thoughts?

Maybe I wasn't totally clear. The canopy is for a boat lift. We have a place on a lake, so the boat will stay on the lift essentially the entire summer, rather than taking it out of the water and storing it on the trailer.

Do you think it doesn't make much difference if a little of the platform isn't covered? I realize it's not nearly as important as the boat itself, but I don't want to ruin it either.

On another note, what would you recommend as other options for a similar boat? An open bow is a must as this is going to be a family boat, not just a ski boat. And I think a walk-through would be preferable to a step over type like the RLX. I realize this is a Malibu forum, but maybe someone has other suggestions. I've thought of the Ski Nautique Open Bow, the Sport Nautique, Prostar 195 or 205... any thoughts?

2 possibilities:

1: buy a cover that is just designed to cover the platform.

2: take the platform off and store it in the walkway of the boat.

Sorry, now I'm with you. FWIW, I'd just get the boat that you want and consider the "platform in the elements" as an important, but second level consideration. Those covers (not canopy) that stretch over the lip of the platform seem nice but people I know tend to step over to the platform from the dock to undo the cover and the all inclucive covers I've seen form a ramp from the back deck to the edge of the platform so may be a little precarious to take on and off. Maybe get one of those separate covers that slips like a sock over the platform, or just get a fiberglass platform and coat it with wax on the fiberglass, 303 on the grippy every so often, stuff keeps it looking new!

edit: and minus the trailer, my boat & platform are probably just around 22 1/2 feet?

Edited by Green_Giant

I have a teak platform on my Malibu and I more my boat from May-October without a cover on my platform. It fades over the season but it cleans up nicely every year.

I would kill to be able to have a lift and canopy (it is prohibited on my lake) and it wouldn't bother me if the platform was uncovered.

Two thoughts:

1/ A couple of folks on here selling 2000'ish Sunsetter LXi's. Same length, open bow, walk-thru.

2/ Just get a swim platform cover. I had mine fabricated locally for about $100. Velcro attached. On/off in about 60 seconds. I gave my platform to the local boat canvas guy.... asked him to try and find some left-over sunbrella in blue, or white, or gray, or black.... and fit my little job in between his other jobs. He had the platform a month in the off-season. He did a great job.

post-114-1205984292_thumb.jpg

post-114-1205984319_thumb.jpg