Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak Swim Patform Cleaning

I'd like to restore my teak swim platform. So far I power washed at the local car wash and have cleaned it twice with Starbrite Cleaner. My next step is to put a coat of mineral spirits, then 2 coats of 25% mineral spirits with 75% Amazon's Teak Oil, bake in sun, then 1 coat Amazon Teal Oil full strength, bake in sun. I'd like to sand but I don't know grit or if I need it. Any other suggestions?

Go with the poly system, it lasts longer, and is easier when you have to redo!

I'd like to restore my teak swim platform. So far I power washed at the local car wash and have cleaned it twice with Starbrite Cleaner. My next step is to put a coat of mineral spirits, then 2 coats of 25% mineral spirits with 75% Amazon's Teak Oil, bake in sun, then 1 coat Amazon Teal Oil full strength, bake in sun. I'd like to sand but I don't know grit or if I need it. Any other suggestions?

I wouldn't suggest baking the teak oil in the sun. I did that two years ago and it just causes the oil to shalaque (sp) on to the swim step and it is slicker that snot when it is wet. I had to sand it all off and re-oil the swim step the normal/right way per the directions on the can.

Here's what I did

LINK ONE

LINK TWO

After all my sanding, first application was 100% Teak prep to remove any moisture, let dry overnight. Then the next day 25% Amazon Prep/75% Amazon Oil two coats. 15 minute dry time, wipe off 10 more minute dry time. Final coat the next day of straight Amazon Oil.

Don't bake in the sun. Not a good idea.

Edited by areamike

I did not notice it,

Go with the poly system, it lasts longer, and is easier when you have to redo!

Won't that make it slippery?