Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$ difference trailer vtx

Willy

Does anybody know what the "usual" difference in price would be from a single to a tandem. I had a single on my 07 vtx and liked how easy it was to move around. However, the tandems look really sharp!!

Edited by Willy
Does anybody know what the "usual" difference in price would be from a single to a tandem. I had a single on my 07 vtx and liked how easy it was to move around. However, the tandems look really sharp!!

It's about $1,000 to $1,500 depending on the wheels selected from my experience. While yes it's easier to move the single axel trailers around in the garage etc, the tandem axels pull so much better down the highway.

So what if they are easier to move around. Get a tandem. If you've ever had ANY issues with bearings, or tires, or whatever, you'll understand why.

Single's are scary for anything on the highway.

I think our quote was around the previously stated $1K...As far as I am concerned, the tandem is a must on high value boats like these...I would much rather deal with the difficulty of moving the boat, then the difficulty of my trailer/boat dragging down the freeway at 70 mph!!!

WOW, Everybody is sure high on the tandems. The trouble is that I put my boat in the garage and it is a 90 degree turn to get it in there on a concrete driveway(marks, tire wear). Like I said I had the Boatmate single on my VTX last year and liked it real well. I do however have an opportunity to upgrade to a totally tricked out tandem, 20's, led with chrome trim, chrome malibu emblem's and a wider frame. Basically like an extreme only nicer. Dealer is looking to get $2,200.00 on the upgrade so I was just trying to judge the difference. I would think the rims and tires are $800 alone.

I guess I will give it some thought for a couple of days. I am just trying to wrap my boat up this week.

Here is last years! (If this pic thing works)

post-1537-1205882815_thumb.jpg

post-1537-1205882053_thumb.jpg

Edited by Willy
WOW, Everybody is sure high on the tandems. The trouble is that I put my boat in the garage and it is a 90 degree turn to get it in there on a concrete driveway(marks, tire wear). Like I said I had the Boatmate single on my VTX last year and liked it real well. I do however have an opportunity to upgrade to a totally tricked out tandem, 20's, led with chrome trim, chrome malibu emblem's and a wider frame. Basically like an extreme only nicer. Dealer is looking to get $2,200.00 on the upgrade so I was just trying to judge the difference. I would think the rims and tires are $800 alone.

I guess I will give it some thought for a couple of days. I am just trying to wrap my boat up this week.

Here is last years! (If this pic thing works)

post-1537-1205882815_thumb.jpg

I've got a 90 degree turn to get the boat in my garage also. But, if you are pulling that boat more than 5 miles, put it on a tandem. It is sooo much safer in my opinion. My tandem has all the bling you mentioned, but it also has disk brakes on both axles, this alone is worth it. But the handling characteristics on the highway and safety of boat, tow vehicle, and passengers if there were to be a blow-out is the real reason to have the tandem. As I've mentioned before, when I was looking at used boats, I automatically discarded any boat that was on a single axle trailor, unless it was a good enough price that I could go buy a new dual to slide under it.

If you have that first blow out at 65 - 70 mph with a single axle trailer you will know why the tandem is worth every penny. I had two blowouts last summer pulling my 23' XTi and was very glad to have the tandem!

i have a single if you go looking to up grade can you find one used or just go get a new one and where to start at looking for it????

Willy,

I had a single on my '96 Response and had a blowout at 70 mph. Now that boat is 1000 lbs lighter than the VTX but it was no problem to slow down and pull over to change the tire. As a matter of fact, I hardley even noticed at first that the tire blew, but I did pull over very quickly because I was kind of expecting a blow out as the tires were a bit old at the time and I was planning to replace them after the season. If you aren't trailering very far, I wouldn't worry about the single vs double.