Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

May buy as used Malibu, NEED HELP!!!!

srintx

Great Site! I'm looking at buying my first Malibu which would be a used 1999 MALIBU VLX 21' WAKEBOARD BOAT, and would like any information anyone can provide as to what the boat should be worth and any other information!

Here's the skinny:

325hp Indmar fuel-injected engine-250 hours

Skylon "Tuna" Wakeboard Tower w/ 4 Kicker speakers

Wakeboard Racks (2ea)

Sony Marine Sound System w/ amp, satellite radio, CD, and MP3 plug-in

Depth Finder

Bimini Top

Teak Platform

Capacity: Seats 10 comfortably

Tandem-Axel Trailer w/ hydraulic brakes & alloy rims

Spare Prop

Thx for ANY HELP!!!!

post-6064-1209731639_thumb.jpg

Great Site! I'm looking at buying my first Malibu which would be a used 1999 MALIBU VLX 21' WAKEBOARD BOAT, and would like any information anyone can provide as to what the boat should be worth and any other information!

Here's the skinny:

Wakeboard Racks (2ea)

Depth Finder

Bimini Top

Teak Platform

Spare Prop

Thx for ANY HELP!!!!

www.nada.com is a good place to start.

Here's the skinny:

Wakeboard Racks (2ea)

Depth Finder

Bimini Top

Teak Platform

Spare Prop

Thx for ANY HELP!!!!

www.nada.com is a good place to start.

Call the insurance agent that you will insure your boat with and ask him what kind of values his system shows. This will give you a good idea what the boat is worth.

-Dave

I have the malibu dealer looking over it now...anything I should watch for on this boat?

You description sounds just like my boat however mine is a 2001.

Since I have bought my boat (it was likely somewhat maintenance neglected, however I could not pass on the price) I straightened the prop, cleaned the drive belt, fine tuned the stereo equip., replaced the impellar, replaced the steering cable, replaced the battery.

Careful of the tuna tower. Mine broke last year. A weld broke and an actual piece of the tower fell off. The manufacturer told me that the tuna tower was not a great design. With that said, I welded the tower back together and really like the way it looks along with the board racks and speaker configuration. Like I said it all sound the same as the boat your looking at.

I paid 26,500 and it was worth at least 30,000 at the time.We had a tremendous amount of fun with it and it got alot of looks as well.

Hope this is of any help.

Here's the skinny:

Wakeboard Racks (2ea)

Depth Finder

Bimini Top

Teak Platform

Spare Prop

Thx for ANY HELP!!!!

Check out this post: Link

In addition to that: During your test drive, make sure you open the engine cover and look for water in the bilge. If you see a lot, it could indicate issues. Watch the temperature gauge. Make sure it idles steady (probably around 750 rpms). Run it at full throttle, make sure there are no funny vibrations. If it has ballast, make sure you check that out. If it has Perfect Pass, check that too. Check the brakes on the trailer, and tires too.

Make sure you look at the prop. Test how easily you can turn the wheel. Ideally, you would be able to steer with a finger. Not a deal breaker, but replacing the steering cable would run you a couple of hundred dollars, at least.

Let's see, what else did we forget to do while we were test-driving ...? I'm sure there's more.

It's a lightly used boat, that could make for a very good find!

I bought my '98 VLX in fall '05 for $23,500. It was loaded, had 250hrs and in perfect shape. I would say $25k or under if in great shape depending on where you are.........

That Skylon tower is reason enough to keep looking for another boat. Any of the Titan & Illusion towers are much better quality & well worth it. Look around on the net & you will find multiple people who have removed the Skylon to upgrade to something stronger.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you all had a great weekend! We finally got the chance to take the boat out on the water this weekend for about 2hrs and to make a long story short.... We bought the Malibu! Just wanted to pass on my thanks for your help and look forward to the future! Yahoo.gif

• 1 month later...
Here are some pics of the Wakesetter...Things have already changed, we just installed a Titan II pics to come.

Good looking boat... Now you just need to fix your profile, to Wakesetter VLX.