Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

50 hour service fees?

Heya,

I just picked my boat up from having the "50 hour service" done. I wasn't expecting the bill I received! Holy crap Batman! For these prices I should have put my $50K in to an airplane!

$416 !!! Just curious what others are seeing for this service. I was expecting sub $200 or so.

BTW... I saw diesel for $4.29 a gallon this weekend! Guess a new truck isn't in my future for a while :)

Perhaps you should tell us what was exactly done, so we can decide if it was worth it or not.

What actually needs to be done at 50 hours is another topic itself.

Heya,

I just picked my boat up from having the "50 hour service" done. I wasn't expecting the bill I received! Holy crap Batman! For these prices I should have put my $50K in to an airplane!

$416 !!! Just curious what others are seeing for this service. I was expecting sub $200 or so.

BTW... I saw diesel for $4.29 a gallon this weekend! Guess a new truck isn't in my future for a while :)

I've also been a little surprised with my bill from the shop there as well. It's definitely motivation to DIY.

Thats a little much for changing the oils. Maybe they changed the impeller to but still seems high to me. I would think $200 myself.

Maybe $40-50 worth of materials 2hrs labor = $200 or so.

Heya,

You just saw step one in how these boat dealers stay open. Step two is winterizing. Step three is the best one summerizing.

Yeah, from what I recall there wasn't much involved. From memory

Check/adjust shaft alignment

Check spark arrestor

Change oil and filter

Check tranny level

Lube Bendix

Water test for packing

Check/adjust motor mounts

There were a couple of other things and they say it took 3 hours. I'll get the complete list tonight. They did not change the impeller.

that sounds more like a break in service, which in that case your pricing sounds close to being right.... my dealer was $300 for the break in service check...

50 hour service should be

Oil and filter service

Transmission service

Check belts & Air Filter

Test Run engine / general check

$150-$160 (hour labor +parts)

Per hour !Dang, Twice what a car dealer gets for much more complicated systems. That should be the hourly charge for doing an annual on your Beechcraft King air 350GT, Crazy.

Per hour !Dang, Twice what a car dealer gets for much more complicated systems. That should be the hourly charge for doing an annual on your Beechcraft King air 350GT, Crazy.

Hence my initial statement that I should have bought an airplane instead!!! Biggrin.gif

Ours was pretty high when we had it done too, I had sticker shock. Now I just try to do what I can myself, have a friend who is much more knowledgeable than I am who helps.

Heya,

I've also been a little surprised with my bill from the shop there as well. It's definitely motivation to DIY.

Plus1.gif I got one bill like that and it was certainly the last Shocking.gifRanting.gif DIY Yes.gif much cheaper and you know the job is done right

Well, this is what they say they did:

Changed Engine oil and filter

Checked flame arrestor

Checked tranny and v-drive fluid

Checked trailer brake fluid and wheel lugs

Lubed starter bendix

Lubed rudder

Checked engine alignment and engine and tranny mounts

Took to river to check/adjust shaft packing

Checked for fuel and water leaks on engine

Checked serp belt

Checked prop and strut

I think for $416 I'll become a little more mechanically inclined! 3 hours to do this is a little much in my book too.

Edited by Helinut

Most of what they did is pretty easy to do yourself...

One question - how far is the River for the adjustment of the shaft packing?

Many of our local dealers have a 40 min drive each way to suitable water for something that takes just a minute or two to check when you're already on the water. At $90/hr, the drive to/from the water adds $150 to the cost of anything they can't fix 'on the hose'.

... 3 hours to do this is a little much in my book too.

Unless it's an hour drive each way to "water" 3 hours is ridiculous. Most of that list is "check" this "check" that...checking something takes almost no time at all. "Check prop and strut"? Translated means they looked under the boat. :lol:

Fuel prices are up ya know. Diesel or gas tow vehicle Tease2.gif

Yeah I guess there is that. I need to support each of their employees who believe they need to drive new 1-ton diesel trucks to work....

Well, this is what they say they did:

Changed Engine oil and filter

Checked flame arrestor

Checked tranny and v-drive fluid

Checked trailer brake fluid and wheel lugs

Lubed starter bendix. Not needed

Lubed rudder

Checked engine alignment and engine and tranny mounts. Good to have done once or after you have a vibration that you can't fix.

Took to river to check/adjust shaft packing

Checked for fuel and water leaks on engine

Checked serp belt

Checked prop and strut

I think for $416 I'll become a little more mechanically inclined! 3 hours to do this is a little much in my book too.

DIY

Dealer

Not needed

Doing a service your self will take longer then a dealer because your going to take your time and not know every thing to look at.

In all those all they did was check the levels of the fluids. I do that every time I hit the water!!! They need to put down the hours to cover the price of the bill. I would still go to the dealer and spend the money just in case something were to happen. Call me crazy!!!!!

Edited by bu2007vlx

ok i gotta say after reading this did you go back to the dealer and say exuse me i need a little more bang for my buck? you shouldnt be paying for them to do a quick eyeball on things. they should be doing that in hopes of calling you for the hey by the way you need a belt and yes that will be 150 bucks. but it looks to me like they could have done all that stuff while changing the oil. JMO

Yeah, the dealer owner is actually a fiber contractor for where I work. So next time I see him, I'll have to take a jab at him. I can't jab too much because I think I got a great deal on the boat. I just don't wanna get bent over so he can make his money back.