Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Changing impeller on 20' LSV Sunsetter

Can you tell me how hard it is to change the impeller on a 20' LSV Sunsetter? It looks as though there is plenty of room for your hands, but you would be doing it more by feel than sight. I know it was easy to get to in my Sportster but it could be hard to pull out/insert. I don't have an impeller puller -- seems like I would have to get one with the placement of it in a V drive. Your thoughts?

Can you tell me how hard it is to change the impeller on a 20' LSV Sunsetter? It looks as though there is plenty of room for your hands, but you would be doing it more by feel than sight. I know it was easy to get to in my Sportster but it could be hard to pull out/insert. I don't have an impeller puller -- seems like I would have to get one with the placement of it in a V drive. Your thoughts?

most of them will pull right out with your fingers. you are working by feel. Try not to drop the little brass bolts. Dont forget to pack the impeller with vasoline before you put the cover back on

most of them will pull right out with your fingers. you are working by feel. Try not to drop the little brass bolts. Dont forget to pack the impeller with vasoline before you put the cover back on

Umm - I believe that vasoline will deteriorate the impeller. Don't use it.

Umm - I believe that vasoline will deteriorate the impeller. Don't use it.

The Jonhnson that I purchased last year came w/ a small packet of glycol lubricant. I wouldn't even consider using vaseline.

Pull out with your fingers....maybe if you're superman. Us common folk use needlenose pliers or two flathead screwdrivers.

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the Globe impeller I picked up from the buCrew group buy (thanks Goose!) in my Vride today. I've done a number of these on several inboards but this was my first shot at doing it on a v-drive where the engine is rotated backwards so the impeller housing is facing the rear of the boat. This made it tough to get the impeller out, and was no way possible by doing it with my fingers. After I pulled the faceplate, I made a couple of attempts with a pair of angled needlenose pliers. Next I pulled the deadman lanyard & bumped the engine a few times. Tried it again with the pliers but still no luck at all.

One of the things I used with the inboards was a pair of paint can openers to get behind the impeller & pull it out. But with the small space between the impeller housing and the transom, I couldn't get both my hands in there, much less see much. So I tied a piece of string to the paint can opener, tied the other end to one of the hoses on the thermostat housing, then dropped the opener behind the muffler. With one hand I would insert the opener & get it to hook the impeller, and then pull the string with the other hand. I'd work on one side a bit, then go to the other side, then to another part of the impeller. Took just a few minutes once I figured out that process.

The Globe easily slid into place, I reinstalled the faceplate, and after an inspection of the old Johnson impeller, decided it was worthy of using it as an emergency replacement.

Heres a pic of the new "impeller removal tool". Maybe it'll help someone else get that little bas**** out of there.

post-821-1208153527_thumb.jpg