Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas useage

I am looking at purchasing a 2008 Sunscape Lsv 20'. I currently have a 2000 Sportster with a 310 vortec engine. I noticed the gas tank is huge. Will this Sunscape suck gas like crazy? Are there any charts on this kind of stuff like there is when you buy a vehicle?

Are there any charts on this kind of stuff like there is when you buy a vehicle?

No.gif Gas consumption will depend on the usage of the boat (cruising at WOT, skiing, surfing,...) and how the boat is propped. The LSV is a significantly larger/heavier boat and will use substantially more fuel than a Sporty.

For exact same usage, I bet the 20 would burn 1 more gal per hour. Don't let the big tank fool you that it uses THAT much more. The big tank is used because the vdrives are often used more as "all day" boats than a ski tractor like the sportster. But all tanks have grown, even the rlxi holds 41 gals.

MalibuNation
Are there any charts on this kind of stuff like there is when you buy a vehicle?

No.gif Gas consumption will depend on the usage of the boat (cruising at WOT, skiing, surfing,...) and how the boat is propped. The LSV is a significantly larger/heavier boat and will use substantially more fuel than a Sporty.

Yep Rockon.gif

I'm betting that the LSV 20 will use LESS gas than the sporty. The sporty is a carburated motor vs the LSV being injected. ALso, if you are getting the Monsoon (this is a must, anyway), it has cats and a O2 sensor which will improve the fuel economy even more.

I'm betting that the LSV 20 will use LESS gas than the sporty...

:lol: You can't be serious. The 20' LSV is a thousand pounds heavier than a Sporty (nearly 50% weight gain) and you think EFI, CAT's, and an O2 sensor are going to offset 1000#'s. No.gif Not to mention being a V-Drive which will cause the boat to get on plane slower using even more fuel.

If you are worried about gas consumption, don't buy a boat.. buy a prius, and ride behind it on a skateboard, like marty mcfly.

I split time b/w a 21 lsv, rlxi and rlx and they all burn 5 gals/ hour skiing. I don't think difference will be that much. The thing is, the props don't slip once on plane, so weight is not an issue, but you will turn more rpms going 34 in vdrive than a sportster, however hull IS more efficient.

...The thing is, the props don't slip once on plane, so weight is not an issue,...

:unsure: Did you actually just "say" that? :lol: If weight is not an issue then a 247 should see the same fuel usage as a Sporty...right?

Edited by NorCaliBu
I'm betting that the LSV 20 will use LESS gas than the sporty...

:lol: You can't be serious. The 20' LSV is a thousand pounds heavier than a Sporty (nearly 50% weight gain) and you think EFI, CAT's, and an O2 sensor are going to offset 1000#'s. No.gif Not to mention being a V-Drive which will cause the boat to get on plane slower using even more fuel.

My Audi is heavier than an old Buick that was carburated, it also has about 2x the power, but gets better mileage. My Yukon is heavier than my old regular cab carburated Chevy truck, it also more power, but get's MUCH better mileage.

I never checked the numbers to be sure, but I believe that I'm getting every bit as good of gas consumption with my new VTX with cats as I did with my Echelon with out cats. I'm fairly sure that I am using LESS gas than I did with my SSLxi.

All I'm saying is that the new technology is performing better both with power and with economy. I cant say for sure, but I'll bet I'm more right than you think.

I cant say for sure, but I'll bet I'm more right than you think.

How right do I think you are? Crazy.gif

Yes, the newer technologies will improve gas consumption. But not enough to offset going from 2200 pounds to 3200 pounds and going from a weight balanced DD to a weight-back VD. No.gif That's all I'm saying.

Comparing autos to boats is not really relevant for this issue. Once you get a vehicle moving it will tend to stay moving. If you have one of those on-board fuel calculating computers watch the #'s during acceleration from a stop Shocking.gif and watch how they jump way up once at cruising speed. Not much power required to maintain speed. Compare that to a vessel. Once up to cruising speed in your boat you can't back off the power. Hydrodynamics vs aerodynamics.

I'll bet you're less right than you think I think...I think... Crazy.gif

:lol:

Edited by NorCaliBu

I'd also add, that you're comparing different engine technologies.. Audi vs buick, and new Yukon vs old carb chevy.. Those are both totally different engines vs the Monsoon getting the addition of fuel injection and cats. The basics of the engine and cylinder heads haven't changed.

Agree that the newer engine probably does make more HP, and a bit more efficient - but the additional drag of the larger boat will be a big impact.