Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Project Rhino

smedman

For my latest board I'm working on a "noserider" prototype. I've been wanting to build something that you could walk up on the nose and just camp out there for a while old school style...

From my last board thread some of you wanted a step by step. I don't think I documented everything, but here's several pics of the process so far...

Gluing up the stringer

post-1409-1205412188_thumb.jpg

Tracing the outline

post-1409-1205412212_thumb.jpg

Outlining the bottom contours / concave. It will be two-part. The main section is about 3/8ths deep running to a little past the midpoint. The front section is shaped like a plate to provide some "braking" ability as the rider moves to the nose.

post-1409-1205412715_thumb.jpg

The rails are mostly a soft 50/50 design. You can see they are fairly round on each side of the tail. The soft rails (especially on the tail) will act to create suction on the tail to hold it in place (under water) as the rider walks towards the nose. (At least that is the idea...)

post-1409-1205413273_thumb.jpg

I didn't take any pics of the fiberglassing on this one. But I put 2 layers of 4oz cloth on the bottom, and 4 layers on the top for extra durability where people will be pounding their on the board.

Painted some stripes on the foam before fiberglassing. Just a couple of simple clean stripes takes a lot of work to get taped off just right.

Now, getting started on putting in the finbox.

I built a Jig template out of some scrap masonite.

Taped off the general area to prevent fiberglass shards from flying everwhere...

post-1409-1205413702_thumb.jpg

Taped the Jig in place

post-1409-1205413737_thumb.jpg

Routed the hole with my Ryobi router and placed the finbox in to check for fit. So far so good...

post-1409-1205413749_thumb.jpg

Dude, you got skills, i love following all your builds...they're so cool. I still haven't had the chance to go get foam and try and carve one myself but it will happen. A question when you sandwich the stringer between the foam is it straight or is it cut out in the shape of the curvature of the board? It looks to me like it's striaght then you shape your stringer curve with the flat plane once the glue has cured.

Good work Smedman! i guess we will see this at the springfling?

Hey Blade - when is - I must have missed the thread. Would love to bring some boards out for folks to try out.

Dude, you got skills, i love following all your builds...they're so cool. I still haven't had the chance to go get foam and try and carve one myself but it will happen. A question when you sandwich the stringer between the foam is it straight or is it cut out in the shape of the curvature of the board? It looks to me like it's striaght then you shape your stringer curve with the flat plane once the glue has cured.

Thanks!

I use the same templates (well one of them) that I made for the hotwire. Just trace it onto whatever you are using for your stringer and cut out to shape (as close as you can) before gluing up the sandwich. In this case I'm using PVC so I cut them out with a utility knife, but if you are using would probably better to use a jigsaw. Then when the blank is glued up and ready you can take down any excess with an electric planer first and then the finger planer as you get closer to your shape. Heres a couple of pics of how I'm cutting the PVC stringer. I actually drill a couple of low profile screws through the masonite and PVC into the ply just to keep everything in place. PVC sheet is not easy to come by, so probably easier just doing with basswood or birch...

post-1409-1205444071_thumb.jpg

post-1409-1205444084_thumb.jpg

Thats so sweet. When are you going to start selling them or have china make them.

Thanks D-Goose and Chatham!

I'm working on a little website right now....

We got the board out this weekend for a few short rides.

Little Smed was up first, but he thought the water a bit cold.

post-1409-1205794132_thumb.jpg

Then my turn...

post-1409-1205794148_thumb.jpg

A short little nosewalk sequence. Didn't quite get 10 over LOL, but maybe someday (I might need to loose a little weight first)

post-1409-1205794294_thumb.jpg

post-1409-1205794306_thumb.jpg

Edited by smedman

That is a SWEET board! Good job, Smed!

Now you just need to train the youngun' to hand ten while you're providing "tail" weight!