Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Water Temp

The last two times we've had the boat out this season, the water temp has been reading around 105F, with the actual temp around 45F. The gauge was working fine last year. Any ideas?

Edited by chathamsolutions

Mine hasn't worked for a few years. Malibu has a one year warranty on it. If yours is a multi-gauge like what was used in my 2000 Response, it is only available from Malibu. The manufacturer that makes it does not offer a multi gauge in their line up because they have such a high failure rate.

The Internet Explorer spell check just doesn't fix all my spelling!!

Edited by BillFooter

Good luck with it, obski. You'd think you could just unplug/unwire the sensor from the gauge and reconnect with a new sensor.

Oh, and why can't most people spell gauge?! We need to guard against misspelling gauge. RIGHT MICHAEL?

Good luck with it, obski. You'd think you could just unplug/unwire the sensor from the gauge and reconnect with a new sensor.

Oh, and why can't most people spell gauge?! We need to guard against misspelling gauge. RIGHT MICHAEL?

You're right. I misspelled 'gauge' in the title, but spelled it correctly in the text of the post. I went back to correct the spelling, but couldn't edit the title. Oh well, as you pointed out, most people misspell it anyway.

The last two times we've had the boat out this season, the water temp has been reading around 105F, with the actual temp around 45F. The gauge was working fine last year. Any ideas?

The end of last season, we were having the same problem on GalaxyToads RLxi. He has been talking to the bu shop, and they say it is something in the paddle wheel. You might PM Galaxytoad, and find out more details and if it could be the same on your boat. He was just telling me about it last night.

Doug

I find that the dip your toes method is a much more reliable way to determine if you should be donning a wet suit.

The end of last season, we were having the same problem on GalaxyToads RLxi. He has been talking to the bu shop, and they say it is something in the paddle wheel. You might PM Galaxytoad, and find out more details and if it could be the same on your boat. He was just telling me about it last night.

Doug

I'll do that.

We took the boat out today and the gauge was reading 75F. Trust me, that was not the actual temp of the water. We did have glass to play on though.

My water, air, and depth all read extremely low. Is there a "metric" mode?

Other that schlepping the boat to a dealer, any suggestions?

Biggrin.gif Heck, I've probably misspelled it too. :Doh:

The sending unit for the lake temperature gauge is in the paddle wheel. I don't know why or how they go bad but that is most likely where the problem is. I had mine replaced under warranty and the problem went away. There is a metric version but I doubt that's your problem if it was working correctly last season.

You're right. I misspelled 'gauge' in the title, but spelled it correctly in the text of the post. I went back to correct the spelling, but couldn't edit the title. Oh well, as you pointed out, most people misspell it anyway.

fixed :)

• 4 weeks later...

Doug

The sending unit for the lake temperature gauge is in the paddle wheel. I don't know why or how they go bad but that is most likely where the problem is. I had mine replaced under warranty and the problem went away. There is a metric version but I doubt that's your problem if it was working correctly last season.

I took the boat in for some warranty work on the vinyl and mentioned the problem with the temp gauge and the service manager said right away that it is a problem with the paddle wheel. They have some in stock and just needed to call Malibu to get it done under warranty, which they would do while they had the boat for the other work. So sounds like that should fix the problem. It won't make the water any warmer yet, but at least I'll know for sure just how cold it is.

fixed :)

Thanks