Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ProStar 205v

mrothwell

My buddy just gave me a call and said that he has a chance to get a really good deal on a 2004 MC ProStar 205v. He has owned ProStar 190's in the past (1985, 1991), but doesn't currently own a boat. He has been considering getting back in, and would like a Malibu V on a Diamond hull, as he is mostly a skier, but his kids will ski and board.

So, how is this boat for skiing? Boarding? Driving? Family with 5 kids?

Thanks for the input.

Edited by mrothwell
My buddy just gave me a call and said that he has a chance to get a really good deal on a 2004 MC ProStar 205v. He has owned ProStar 190's in the past (1985, 1991), but doesn't currently own a boat. He has been considering getting back in, and would like a Malibu V on a Diamond hull, as he is mostly a skier, but his kids will ski and board.

So, how is this boat for skiing? Boarding? Driving? Family with 5 kids?

Thanks for the input.

The 205V is essentially the first-generation X-star, minus the bling and the ballast.

I'm not sure how it skis.

That is what I have heard too that it is basically a 1st gen X-Star.... I had a 96 prostar 205 direct drive and it had a nice wake when I added 2 side sacs (260 lbs each) and 1 rear sac under the rear at 370 lbs for a total of 890 lbs.... It was a very nice boat... I think that the V-drive would be perfect especially for a great price... Last spring I upgraded to an '07 Wakesetter VLX and it was a lot more $$$$ but It sure is noce to have the V-drive and the extra storage and not have bags all over the floor.... I think that that would be a nice boat from a former MC owner

I owned a 2003 MC 205V for four years. (before my Malibu LXi 2007)

The ProStar 205V is the same boat at the X without the ballast and bling.

It is a great boat. There is huge storage each side of the engine, which you lose in the X with the ballast that takes up most of that room. On the passenger side skis slide in from the platform nicely, room for 3 and tons of other stuff. We especially enjoyed how the engine compartment lid was 3 parts, opening away from the center section. Easy to get stuff, even while someone sitting on the cover, engine never exposed. Cant understand the two part lids common now.

It has a ski hull, and is a good ski boat. At full line length and at 15 off it is a fine wake. It gets a little firm at 22 off, and at 28 off is harsh; so it is not a tournament boat. However, most non-tournament skiers are happy at 15 off and will be quite impressed with the wake compared to any other V-drive. I moved to the tournament ski boat, less common today. It was the only MC with tracking fins beneath of the V-drives.

The wakeboard wake shape is ideal; I think MC was trying to create a dual purpose boat and stumbled upon a great wakeboard wake. It does not need a ballast, really. In fact, at 15 mph the hump of water behind the boat is really tall which shapes out nicely at 17-18 mph. We had boarders prefer our boat to many others with lots of ballast. It is only 90" wide which I think really helps the wake shape, compared to the wide 100" or more beasts common now.

If I can be of further help, let me know.

good wakeboard wake with weight, good slalom wake. However, several known issues: interior threads, fuel pump, rides like a log wagon, multiple stress cracks, junk towers, expensive repair parts, lots of needed ballast. If he can deal with these, go for it. However, I would advise waiting on a malibu.

Shameless plug alert!

I know where a great SLXI is forsale... Whistling.gif

BUMP for Justin, go Malibu or ask someone on the MC forums :)

He really doesn't want a MC for a crossover boat Whistling.gif

Shameless plug alert!

I know where a great SLXI is forsale... Whistling.gif

BUMP for Justin, go Malibu or ask someone on the MC forums :)

He really doesn't want a MC for a crossover boat Whistling.gif

Thanks for the replies - I passed them on.

Justin - do you want to run the boat to Nashville so he can take a test drive? He might like it.

He truely does want a Malibu - but this may be a good deal and easy for him to get back into boating.