Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FAT SAC HELP PLEASE!

txwakejunkie

My wife and I have just purchased our first boat, 2005 Malibu 23 LSV, and we could not be more excited! Yahoo.gif We are mostly into wakeboarding and would like to add some additional ballast to improve the stock ballast of the boat. I have been reading several forums on different setups for fat sacs and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for us. We had considered adding a 440Lb bag to each of the rear lockers, but did not know if that was the best setup for this particular boat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Dontknow.gif

Edited by txwakejunkie

Welcome.gif

I cannot help you with what bags will fit your boat since I have not added any to my boat (yet), however I will be purchasing some bags very soon (this week!)

I can however tell you, that there is a "malibu crew group buy" going on for ballast bags. It is hosted by one of the more popular online water-sports retialers, but it is only good for a few more days. You have to be a paid supporter of this site in order to get the discounts, but the discount is so good that you will save alot more than it cost to support this site for a year, and you will save on any other malibu crew discounts\ group buys you choose to use. If you look Greg (D-GOOSE) , he can help you with the group buy should you choose to do that.

Congrats on the new boat. I don't have a lot of experience with adding weight to the LSV as we just purchased ours in the Fall. I did put 2 - 300lb sacks in our rear compartment the last time out and the wake for wakeboarding was very good. I had about 5 other people in the boat, all in the back of the boat because of the cool weather, and I do think you may want to consider repropping the boat if you are planning on using the sacks all of the time. I had all four MLS tanks full and the floating wedge down and it was a little sluggish getting on plane. We really enjoyed the wake though. I am not sure what prop my LSV came with, it an 07 with the monsoon motor. I may look into repropping it this summer if we decide to ride with the additional weight a lot.

Congrats on the new boat. I don't have a lot of experience with adding weight to the LSV as we just purchased ours in the Fall. I did put 2 - 300lb sacks in our rear compartment the last time out and the wake for wakeboarding was very good. I had about 5 other people in the boat, all in the back of the boat because of the cool weather, and I do think you may want to consider repropping the boat if you are planning on using the sacks all of the time. I had all four MLS tanks full and the floating wedge down and it was a little sluggish getting on plane. We really enjoyed the wake though. I am not sure what prop my LSV came with, it an 07 with the monsoon motor. I may look into repropping it this summer if we decide to ride with the additional weight a lot.

Thanks to everyone for the information!

Whitlecj

So you did not need any weight in the front of the boat to keep the wake clean?

Thanks to everyone for the information!

Whitlecj

So you did not need any weight in the front of the boat to keep the wake clean?

If you are at all into surfing, I highly recomend the ENZO surf sac from FAT SAC. It is HUGE and is made to fit the rear lockers and extend all the way up under the seat of whatever side you put it on. I have 2 of them and we love it.

Joe

I have a 07 LSV and with the Wedge and the stock ballast I love the wake. Not sure what the 05 has for stock ballast but if it is the same as the 07, I suggest trying it out first, and playing with the Wedge. You can make that wake pretty steep by adjusting the wedge. I like the wedge all the way down. Get plenty of pop and most of my friends that are much better then me ride the same way and can pull any trick they have without need for a bigger wake.

I have a 07 LSV and with the Wedge and the stock ballast I love the wake. Not sure what the 05 has for stock ballast but if it is the same as the 07, I suggest trying it out first, and playing with the Wedge. You can make that wake pretty steep by adjusting the wedge. I like the wedge all the way down. Get plenty of pop and most of my friends that are much better then me ride the same way and can pull any trick they have without need for a bigger wake.

We have the MLS 4 tank System, and the manuel wedge. Our friends have a 06 VLX, how does it compare to a ballast+wedge wake, that is what we have been riding behind for a couple of years.

The thing about a 23 ft boat like the LSV, it just takes more weight to sink it down and get the wake...I would think the actual wake size/shape would be great on the LSV, but the shape and length may vary between models. Dontknow.gif

We have the MLS 4 tank System, and the manuel wedge. Our friends have a 06 VLX, how does it compare to a ballast+wedge wake, that is what we have been riding behind for a couple of years.
Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

twwakejunkie,

We did not have to put any additional weight in the front to get the wake clean. I believe we were riding at 75' back and between 22.5 and 23.5mph. We just had all four MLS tanks full and then a 300lb sack in each rear compartment.

I'm sorry, I didn't put 2+2 together. If you've never been behind your boat then I'd hold off on adding the ballast.

The LSV is designed to throw pro level wakes from the get go - no additional ballast needed. Really, I never wakeboard with more ballast than the stock ballast. I fill it all full and it blasts me into the flats. For ANY of our other riders we drop the amount of ballast or pull the Wedge. Unless you're really into Raleys and need serious height for spins, inverts, etc. I think the stock quad ballast system will do you up fine.

Now surfing is another issue. I plumbed my tanks for the express purpose of surfing and making it easy to to the switch from port to starboard.

If you have the bow tank, you'll not need any other weight for wakeboarding. It should set you up fine. Really, if you add much more weight to the nose you'll run a HIGH risk of putting the nose under quite often.

If you have been riding behind an '06 then you'll like the ride of the LSV. They are VERY similar. IIRC the '06 is the year they changed the hull on the VLX so it was longer and wider. I've ridden behind a few and have felt right at home with the wake.

Good luck.

I'm sorry, I didn't put 2+2 together. If you've never been behind your boat then I'd hold off on adding the ballast.

The LSV is designed to throw pro level wakes from the get go - no additional ballast needed. Really, I never wakeboard with more ballast than the stock ballast. I fill it all full and it blasts me into the flats. For ANY of our other riders we drop the amount of ballast or pull the Wedge. Unless you're really into Raleys and need serious height for spins, inverts, etc. I think the stock quad ballast system will do you up fine.

Now surfing is another issue. I plumbed my tanks for the express purpose of surfing and making it easy to to the switch from port to starboard.

If you have the bow tank, you'll not need any other weight for wakeboarding. It should set you up fine. Really, if you add much more weight to the nose you'll run a HIGH risk of putting the nose under quite often.

If you have been riding behind an '06 then you'll like the ride of the LSV. They are VERY similar. IIRC the '06 is the year they changed the hull on the VLX so it was longer and wider. I've ridden behind a few and have felt right at home with the wake.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the help, If the weather will stay consistant for more then an hour around here maybe we could go ride. We look forward to this year and we do plan to start surfing some time but for now we are still wakeboarders.

We would like to support the site, what are the steps to getting in contact with someone to do so?

Great Question:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....mp;page=support

There's a LINK at the top right of every page.

Glad you found The Crew. We'll help you spend all your disposable money, don't worry. :)

Ok. Done thank you for the replys. Im sure that after the purchase of the boat and all the toys we want to go with it there will be no money left to dispose of but if there is i will let you know! Thumbup.gif

Great Question:

<a href="http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....mp;page=support" target="_blank">http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....mp;page=support</a>

Glad you found The Crew. We'll help you spend all your disposable money, don't worry. :)

Ok. Done thank you for the replys. Im sure that after the purchase of the boat and all the toys we want to go with it there will be no money left to dispose of but if there is i will let you know! Thumbup.gif

You know there is a ProX Ballast Group Buy going on the rest of the week for Site Supporters only. Now you can get that money right back that you used to join the site...

Great Question:

<a href="http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....mp;page=support" target="_blank">http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....mp;page=support</a>

You know there is a ProX Ballast Group Buy going on the rest of the week for Site Supporters only. Now you can get that money right back that you used to join the site...

I read that on another post. I have sent DGOOSE a message to try to get it on it. Thanks