Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New v drive owner

apwrx

I sold my 97 Reinell bow rider and got an 01 wakesetter vlx.I love it so far.

It has 320 hrs,I have 2 issues 1. water seems to not drain from the ski locker to the bilge.2. There is a stream of water shooting out around the drive shaft ,packing adjustment i assume.My question , Is it worth replacing with a dripless type packing?or can i tighten the nut and it will be good for the year.Also any hints on getting the water out of the ski locker?

thanks in advance

Adam

malibu.jpg

1. Very common issue, there is a through hole that may be plugged up with junk or a plug

2. Just tighten it up until it leaks at 1 drop every 5 seconds in gear at idle. The thin nut is just a jam nut, the big nut is the one with the packing.

Very sharp looking boat BTW, once you drive an inboard you can't go back to an IO

-Chris

1. Very common issue, there is a through hole that may be plugged up with junk or a plug

2. Just tighten it up until it leaks at 1 drop every 5 seconds in gear at idle. The thin nut is just a jam nut, the big nut is the one with the packing.

Very sharp looking boat BTW, once you drive an inboard you can't go back to an IO

-Chris

#1 fixed. thank you#2 I will take care next time iam out. I assume it doesnt drip when the motor is off. correct?

As far as i/o vs inboard there is definately no going back,One test drive and i was sold i can't beleive how stable these boats are.I also feel much safer on the water especially with a 9 and 4 yr old.Now I cant wait for a pull behind it.

Adam

Nice boat! Was that the one for sale in Oregon last week?

Thanks, I imagine so I bought it from Royal Marine in Portland.They were fantastic to deal with.

The shaft packing will drip even if you are not running. One drop every 5 to 10 sec is good. The packing my need to be replaced if it is warn out. Not hard to do and its cheep. If your dealer is not close order from skidim.com very good people. Will help with questions also. Thumbup.gif

The shaft packing will drip even if you are not running. One drop every 5 to 10 sec is good. The packing my need to be replaced if it is warn out. Not hard to do and its cheep. If your dealer is not close order from skidim.com very good people. Will help with questions also. Thumbup.gif

Huh, well i may just go with the dripless setup as i leave it in the water for a few nights during the summer.

I'll search for dripless info as iam sure its been discussed once or twice.

Adam

Huh, well i may just go with the dripless setup as i leave it in the water for a few nights during the summer.

I'll search for dripless info as iam sure its been discussed once or twice.

Adam

Be careful if you are going to leave it moored in the water. My '01 SS VLX had a fast drip rate around the shaft packing and I kept the boat moored. I made the mistake of leaving the heater blower on one time and of course the battery ran down, which then didn't allow the bilge pump to run. I happened to stop by to check on the boat and found the water up to the level of the carpet. I had to run and get a new battery to drop into the boat and then later got the packing nut adjusted.

Should not drip with the boat sitting at a mooring, well atleast not at a rate that would cause issues. The proper adjustment is 1 drip every 5 seconds with the boat at idle but IN gear (shaft spinning). If it drips every 5 seconds without the shaft spinning it is way to loose.

Random thought for anyone, in a DD has the shaft spinning at (approx) 650 RPM's at idle in gear (1:1 ratio), however in a V-drive this is more like 400 RPM's on the shaft due to the 1.5:1 gear ratio. Think that makes a difference?

-Chris