Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ADDING PERFECT PASS

tutone

Considering adding perfect pass to my 2005 Wakesetter XTI. Will have it done professionally. I know there are a couple different systems to choose from. We are looking at adding it to recreational slalom and wakeboard. Which perfect pass would suit my needs best? What should I expect to pay? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :):)

We've got the wakeboard pro, I think. It's the one with multiple presets for different speeds. In the two years that we've had it, we've never once used the presets. We always keep it on the same profile and just adjust the speed if we need to. So, don't let that feature swing you. I think we paid $1100 or so after installation, but I can't remember. We had that done at the same time as our tower.

We've got the wakeboard pro, I think. It's the one with multiple presets for different speeds. In the two years that we've had it, we've never once used the presets. We always keep it on the same profile and just adjust the speed if we need to. So, don't let that feature swing you. I think we paid $1100 or so after installation, but I can't remember. We had that done at the same time as our tower.

Thanks for your response. I am leaning toward the one with no presets. It would be easiest to use and the most economical.

Is this the one your referring to?

PP Cruise

If so, I'd like to hear if others have installed this and what they think of it.

I'd definitely choose this over a new cover for the boat.

thanks!

Don't get the cruise one. Get a wakeboard pro.

The cruise works like a car one, you can't set the speeed you want to engage at. You will never have the same speed ride to ride, and wiht the wakeboard pro, you will. It is WAY worth teh cost difference.

PP Cruise

If so, I'd like to hear if others have installed this and what they think of it.

thanks!

The cruise works like a car one, you can't set the speeed you want to engage at. You will never have the same speed ride to ride, and wiht the wakeboard pro, you will. It is WAY worth teh cost difference.

I didn't realize the cruise was sort of cheesy. I guess given the choice I would go with the Pro. The other thing to consider is that the perfect pass will take the place of one of your gauges. We had them take out the speedometer, since the perfect pass has a speedometer. I notice that the cruise doesn't have any kind of display. I guess you could drill a 2" hole somewhere in the dash to put it, but I think it looks cleaner like ours is done. We also got the Malibu face plate for the Pro.

However, if $400 is a big difference for you, then the cruise will probably suffice, it just won't be as friendly, especially when it comes to surfing. It's nice to have your surf wake dialed in so that you know to what tenth of a mph you should set your speed. The same could be said for wakeboarding, and certainly for slalom, I would think.

Sunscape Jeff,

I also have a 2001 sunscape lsv that I purchased last year. I was considering adding perfect pass for mostly wakeboarding and a little recreational slalom. However, I've read several posts that claim perfect pass does not work well for this style hull. Have you experienced any problems with your boat? And do you have the extension for the speed pickup on the bottom of the boat?

I'd appreciate any feedback you may have. I'd love to add perfect pass, but definately don't want to spend the money if I'll be disappointed.

Thanks

Sunscape Jeff,

I also have a 2001 sunscape lsv that I purchased last year. I was considering adding perfect pass for mostly wakeboarding and a little recreational slalom. However, I've read several posts that claim perfect pass does not work well for this style hull. Have you experienced any problems with your boat? And do you have the extension for the speed pickup on the bottom of the boat?

I'd appreciate any feedback you may have. I'd love to add perfect pass, but definately don't want to spend the money if I'll be disappointed.

Thanks

I've got an 02 sunscape 21 LSV and am considering adding PP to it very soon. I have not heard anything about PP not working on that hull? I would also be very interested in any info on this topic.

The 23' hulls are the problem, not the 21' hulls. Perfect Pass themselves warned us about it before we got it. We made sure to get the extension for it. It kind of looks like a canoe-shaped piece of brass, which extends the paddle wheel another inch or so into the water. It has to be placed at a certain spot on the hull for it to be effective. Mine is placed almost right beside the V-drive unit, IIRC. I would definitely make sure that whoever installs it understands this.

We have had problems, but mostly just when we have a ton of people or weight in the back of the boat, and when we're using the wedge. The old 23' hulls tend to have a little more bowrise, from what I understand. The problem manifests itself in an inability for the boat to keep a constant speed. For instance, if we have 8 or 9 people in the back, plus 800 lbs of ballast and the wedge, the boat won't hold speed at 18.5 mph. It will jump between 17 and 22 or so. If we run at 21.5, then we don't have any problems. What we've figured out is if we have that many people in the boat, and none of them will move to the front, we empty the back ballast, and/or we try to put more ballast up front. In fact, I'm looking at getting a triangle bow sac through the group buy, partially to solve this problem, but mostly to improve the surf wake.

Overall, though, the Perfect Pass has been great, and I couldn't imagine not having it. That's just one less thing for the driver to have to worry about while towing. I'd definitely recommend it.

I had the cruise model first and finally ended up biting the bullet and upgrading to the Wakeboard pro. The cruise works as expected, but it was such a pain in the butt for the driver. Now they have to be going exactly the right speed - hit the button, mess with the speed until it zero's in, etc. It sounds like a good deal, but if you change riders much, it is a royal pain (still better than driving by human though). You never really know where the speed is set (since there isn't any type of display) - which made it alot more work for the driver than it should have been.

So I would DEFINITELY spring for the wakeboard pro if you can handle the extra cost! Well worth the investment.

The PP cruise works on rpm though, so no need to drill the hull and install a paddle wheel. Not saying it is better, just saying...

The other downside is that you have to obtain the speed in order to set it. One thing that I like about the wakeboard pro, digital pro or even malibu cruise is the fact that you can preset before you take off. In my case, when a driver is not to used to driving an inboard ski boat, I find they have a tendancy to overshoot, especially at barefoot speeds. Preseting the speed limits the speed to a maximum so overshooting is not an issue. Before cruise control, only my wife and my barefooting partner could pull me on a back deep start, now any Wally can... almost. (Hey I still need some excuse for when I miss a start...)

PP Cruise

thanks!

I didn't realize the cruise was sort of cheesy. I guess given the choice I would go with the Pro. The other thing to consider is that the perfect pass will take the place of one of your gauges. We had them take out the speedometer, since the perfect pass has a speedometer. I notice that the cruise doesn't have any kind of display. I guess you could drill a 2" hole somewhere in the dash to put it, but I think it looks cleaner like ours is done. We also got the Malibu face plate for the Pro.

However, if $400 is a big difference for you, then the cruise will probably suffice, it just won't be as friendly, especially when it comes to surfing. It's nice to have your surf wake dialed in so that you know to what tenth of a mph you should set your speed. The same could be said for wakeboarding, and certainly for slalom, I would think.

Just finalized with dealer which system I will be getting.

He definetely recommended the wakeboard pro series. They will mount the display where my tach is now. I guess my 05 was sorta "roughed-in" for it. No hull drilling required. Should I disclose price? I'm not sure if that is frowned upon on this site.