Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Warranty on vinyl?

Bobby Light

No matter what I do I can't get the dirt off the rear trunks. I've tried absolutely everything not sure if this is a common issue or if I'm just to anal. The rest of the cushions look good, I just don't think the rears look as good as they should and don't clean up like the rest do. Any ideas? I'll post some pics in the next day or so.

No matter what I do I can't get the dirt off the rear trunks. I've tried absolutely everything not sure if this is a common issue or if I'm just to anal. The rest of the cushions look good, I just don't think the rears look as good as they should and don't clean up like the rest do. Any ideas? I'll post some pics in the next day or so.

Did you try the magic eraser? It will clean just about anything off the vinyl... And it is safe to use.

Yeah, the warranty is three years. I just had three seats reskined.

Edited by woody

Did you try the magic eraser? It will clean just about anything off the vinyl... And it is safe to use.

I've tried the magic eraser, medium bristle brush. I've tried about everything besides bleach.

I've tried the magic eraser, medium bristle brush. I've tried about everything besides bleach.

We'll you could all of a sudden have some of the stitching come apart on the cushions that you want replaced, but you didn't here that from me Whistling.gif I don't even know who wrote this :unsure:

• 1 month later...

My dealer (sort of) and I have been going round and round with Malibu for (can you believe this) nearly 6 years to have them replace my seat skins that are ripping out!!! I have an email from them back in 2001 (my boat is a 2000) stating that they know of the problem and will replace the vinyl on those cushions that are tearing. Each season, we started the process again - send photos, call Malibu and wait - no word. Put the boat up and start again.

Malibu has been completely unresponsive to all requests, and photos and calls from my dealer (Darryl Moore Ski World).

Now a big part of this was a complete drop of the ball on the part of the dealer, but I would think that Malibu would want to take care of an issue that is discussed frequently on the web, in almost every place there is a Malibu Owners discussion.

In fact, the dealer finally went ahead and had their local vinyl guy replace the skins and now of course wants me to pay part of the cost, because once again, Malibu has refused to cover the repairs!!

My advice to anyone having vinyl issues is to get it done at the first sign of any problems. Malibu has shown me that they are NOT as good as their word when it comes to Customer Service and ensuring the quality of the product they sell.

06VLX............I have the same problem. I even tried (gasp!) bleach and a pressure washer. That did no better than scrubbing with a bristle brush and detergent. I was not worried about damage since replacement is the next step. Still, the dirt is there.

Food for thought.......I had one of my bow seat backs recovered with new vinyl recently. Original vinyl from Malibu and labor at a local shop was half the cost of a new skin from the dealer.

IIRC in '05 they did have an issue w/ the glue they used showing through. Not sure if this is the case or not but it tended to be dark gray to almost black and splotchy. Usually exposure to the sun would help.

IIRC in '05 they did have an issue w/ the glue they used showing through. Not sure if this is the case or not but it tended to be dark gray to almost black and splotchy. Usually exposure to the sun would help.

I had this problem on the observers seat back and it was replaced under warranty. The stain was sort of a yellowish color, though.

• 1 year later...

I had this problem on the observers seat back and it was replaced under warranty. The stain was sort of a yellowish color, though.

PLEASE TELL ME MORE!!! I have this issue on all the dark grey vinyl on my boat. Dealer told me to scrub. I knew it was something different. Can i call Malibu or do i have to call the Dealer first? I'm trying to sell the boat so we can buy a house but this is def going to cause issues.

I tried telling the dealer last year. I will have owned the boat for 4 years in two months. I mean every dark grey area, front, sun deck etc.

PLEASE HELP!!

the only place i get dirt on my sunpad is where the perko locks are, it get like a the outline of a square of dirt, mine comes right off. i just get a bucket of water a chamois and run it for about 3 mins and its gone

Try Malco Leather and Plastic Cleaner(says for vinyl in the instructions also). By far the best vinyl cleaner I've used. Spray it on, let it sit for a couple minutes. Then go at it with a scrub brush. Then wipe off all the dirt with a terry cloth rag. Then, keep another terry rag in a bucket of water so you can clean any remaining residue off. Finish it off with the vinyl protectant of your choice. Done.

Try Malco Leather and Plastic Cleaner(says for vinyl in the instructions also). By far the best vinyl cleaner I've used. Spray it on, let it sit for a couple minutes. Then go at it with a scrub brush. Then wipe off all the dirt with a terry cloth rag. Then, keep another terry rag in a bucket of water so you can clean any remaining residue off. Finish it off with the vinyl protectant of your choice. Done.

No lie - this $hit is amazing

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there. saw your old post, and wondering if you ever found anything that worked? We have the same issue. Thanks so much-

Hey there. saw your old post, and wondering if you ever found anything that worked? We have the same issue. Thanks so much-

Wow talk about a blast from the past, this is some old stuff. I don't even have that boat any more but I did fix the problem. I used vinyl cleaner and sprayed on and let sit until almost dry. Then sprayed again and hit it very aggresively with a medium bristle brush wiping away quickly when I was done. Pretty much solved the issue I was having. I wasn't letting any of the vinyl cleaner do it's work before I wiped away.