Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The ol' rear end is looking better

Sunsetter95

I thought that would get your attention Fingerwag.gif

Polished Wedge

The wedge looks great. Was that on the boat when you bought it or did you add it? 95 Sunsetter?

It looked like this when I bought the boat. It is original.

post-144-1205102547_thumb.jpg

Was that a re-polish or did you start from an unpolished stainless substrate?

Looks very good Thumbup.gif

The old Wedge and mounting plate is all aluminum.

I sanded the old finish off with 150, then 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and buff with rubbing compound followed by Mothers.

The spring release pins are stainless.

Edited by Sunsetter95
Looks great! I hope you anodized or clear powdercoated it for protection! :)

Not yet. I will probably leave it like this this year. Then next off season, I will polish it again and get some more of the scratches out ot the surface.

Are the strut arms not Nibral? I'm surprised that would polish to look like chrome. I've polished brass before and it has a shiny gold finish. It does look good, but I think you'll be disappointed how fast the shine degrades without a protective coating.

Are the strut arms not Nibral? I'm surprised that would polish to look like chrome. I've polished brass before and it has a shiny gold finish. It does look good, but I think you'll be disappointed how fast the shine degrades without a protective coating.

No, mine is not blended, it's all aluminum (OEM '95). Without doing any polishing through the summer, it will last about half way through. I thought of having the parts chromed. Maybe next off season.

I sanded the old finish off with 150, then 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, and buff with rubbing compound followed by Mothers.

That's all you did? just sanded the finish off?

That's all you did? just sanded the finish off?

Sand and buff. Upclose, you can still see some fine paper marks, but it still looks great. I ran out of elbow grease to get them all out.