Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Rental

Jazz

This is not necessarily a Malibu boat topic, although we do own one. I have the chance to rent our boat for a week in June and I keep going back and forth on the issue. I did it last year, but it was a friend who was very experienced who was doing a waterski clinic so risk was low and the guy had integrity. This time I don't know the guy but he has boating experience and he knows the lake. He wants it for family use at the lake this summer. I checked our insurance and we're ok - damage deposit, ok- we're not using the boat for that week, ok. I'm still undecided.

Can I get some feedback on your thoughts/experiences with this topic. Any help would be appreciated.

Man that's a touchy situation. The short answer would be; it depends on the person. I would trust the guys in my ski group no hands down (mostly because they both own RLX exactly like mine, and know the boat inside and out). Now "renting" my boat to someone I don't know would be another story. I think for me to be comfortable I'd have to spend some time with the guy in my boat. You say this guy has boating experience, however is it inboard or I/O experience. If he's been tooling around in 130hp I/O, I'd be hesitant to give him the keys to my 320+ hp rocketship.... Dontknow.gif

I don't think I could ever rent my boat out. I don't care if it is someone who is experienced, accidents happen. Plus you never know who they will let drive or if they have to much fun Beer.gif with their friends. My brother wanted to borrow my boat and go out with friends before he got his boat and I didn't let him take it because I knew he wanted to ski and the others were inexperienced at driving. I guess what I am trying to say is too much can happen if you aren't there to supervise and it is hard to live with regret.

PS Remember how some people treat rental cars.

I personally would not rent my boat to some one that I do not know. Especially, the types of boats we are talking about. On second thought, I am not sure I would 'rent' my boat to most of the people I do know. I have a very short list of people that I would trust with my boat...There is just too much that could go wrong...

Our neighbor borrowed his boat to a "friend" last year. The friend trashed the boat, engine and all...He refused to pay for the damages, and our neighbor had to salvage it for used parts...We still are not sure what happened to the boat, other than it didn't run nearly as well as it did when it left the house and the hull was damaged, interior pretty well trashed...It was crazy...

Can I get some feedback on your thoughts/experiences with this topic. Any help would be appreciated.

.02-

I would never consider it, ever. If I had a good enough friend that I 100% totally trusted, like some of the guys I have known for 40 years, I would consider just letting them borrow it after the newness wears off, say 10 years from now Whistling.gif , but renting to someone you don't know, never, ever. 50/50 you end up with problems way worse than the $$ you get is worth.

does the damage deposit cover expenses related to motor or transmission damage?

do you really want an insurance claim that may cause your rates to rise?

what if the guy is a wally and ends up pissing off your friends and neighbors while abusing your boat?

so, i guess my vote is, heck yea, what could go wrong!!

I guess that settles it then. Its a matter of risk/reward. Not worth it. Thanks for the input. Now if that darn snow would hurry up and melt....

No way I'd ever rent my boat....ever.

Plus1.gif And I just have a little Sporty.

I guess that settles it then. Its a matter of risk/reward. Not worth it. Thanks for the input. Now if that darn snow would hurry up and melt....

Smart man. Yes.gif The reward just isn't worth the risk. No.gif

I wouldn't do it. I have a good friend that I have let borrow my boat. He lives around the corner from me on the lake and has a Malibu RLX just like mine but a year older. He had boat problems (needed a new computer) last summer and he had open access to my boat. He is my ski buddy and I know he would give me the same access to his boat.

I wouldn't rent it to someone I don't know and trust and if I knew and trusted someone enough I would likely just let them use it as long as they put gas in it.

• 4 weeks later...

The only people I let use our "new" '00 Response without us in it is our own immediate family adult kids. This is our third boat in 10 years with a 'moveup' in each case, we want this to be our last, I would rather it sit in our shop all summer under cover than to get a few dollars in the pocketbook and even have the remotest chance that "Oops we had a slight problem." Our hard earned toys are too hard earned.

Yup gotta agree with everyone else. I look at the people (friends) we have taken with us in our boat and their kids eating getting stuff all over. I would have to know the person well and know how they treated other people's stuff...we aren't all the same. Some people have no consideration for others. What happens when they rip a seat with a ski fin? etc etc

On the other hand....I am so neurotic I would be a great person to rent to.... Yahoo.gif

I would check the boat insurance policy very carefully for words similar to "For hire" "livery" or other phrases. While I know your boat is not a taxi, taking money from someone to use your item adds additional risk. If you just let someone borrow your boat, there shouldn't be an issue with the coverages(unless the policy specifically excludes persons other than the named insured and insureds by definition) because they are a permissive user. It's the rental fee which makes things challenging.

This is a stretch, but you may also look for any conditions/exclusions regarding business use of the boat. Taking money for the use of your item may, I admit it is a stretch, may be considered some type of monetary gain from a business pursuit. The Ins. Co. doesn't know if you do it everyday or just the one time something happened.

While this is not a boat issue, here is something which occurs everyday. A 17 year old kid is delivering pizza with a vehicle. Johnny works once a week. The policy application specifically asks if the vehicle is used in the pursuit of business. Let's say at the time of application, the vehicle was not being used for delivery. Now, 6 months later, little Johnny bounces his car off another vehicle while driving pies with the big, lit pizza sign on the roof. The vehicle is being used in the pursuit of business and there is no coverage under the policy (depending on specific wording) for liability and/or collision.

I think renting the boat puts you in a very precarious situation which could easily put you in a bind, regardless of what an Insurance Agent says. Remember, the agents are sales people and often have zero clue about the policy coverages. Would you ask your new car sales person how to remove the cam shaft? Sure, they can sell the product, but many do not know how it works.

I wouldn't do it. I have a good friend that I have let borrow my boat. He lives around the corner from me on the lake and has a Malibu RLX just like mine but a year older. He had boat problems (needed a new computer) last summer and he had open access to my boat. He is my ski buddy and I know he would give me the same access to his boat.

I wouldn't rent it to someone I don't know and trust and if I knew and trusted someone enough I would likely just let them use it as long as they put gas in it.

Plus1.gif I can think of two people that might get out in my boat without me. My brother and my ski partner no others. The one thin I haven't seen asked is how much do you get how good is the return. I still think no. Definition for rent: Use it like it it not yours!

No.gif

I've had 2 friends offer to go in on a boat with me halfway and couldn't even come to grips with that. Too anal I guess and if something goes wrong with my boat, I can deal with it being my fault or a true accident, anything else I would regret.

No.gif

I can deal with it being my fault or a true accident, anything else I would regret.

Plus1.gif No way would I rent it out. NOT worth IMO

Edited by BB LSV

There is only one person that can take my boat with out me, My wife because its hers too. No body else is making the payments for us.

There is only one person that can take my boat with out me, My wife because its hers too. No body else is making the payments for us.

My wife might be helping to make the payments, but take it out alone... not a good idea. As far as renting my boat...not in a million years. There are times when friends will be on the boat as passengers and they do things that make me cringe. I could only imagine what someone would do who was renting it. Given this topic has now gone to two pages and not one person has said they would rent the boat, I hope you got the feedback you were looking for. Make us all feel batter and put up a reply that you have made up your mind NOT to rent it. :)