Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Open Bow Ideas

DIE2SURF

I'm looking for some ideas for better use of my walk-over open bow area. The OB has a basic 2-person bench seat, and most of the time there isn't anyone using it (turns into an unorganized storage spot). My kids like to use it, but the bench seat is not real user friendly. I was thinking about creating one larger triangular seat to fill the entire spot for the kids to lounge in a little easier. (borrowed the pic from another member). Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

post-5643-1204848185_thumb.jpg

I'm looking for some ideas for better use of my walk-over open bow area. The OB has a basic 2-person bench seat, and most of the time there isn't anyone using it (turns into an unorganized storage spot). My kids like to use it, but the bench seat is not real user friendly. I was thinking about creating one larger triangular seat to fill the entire spot for the kids to lounge in a little easier. (borrowed the pic from another member). Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

That pic was from last June, my dog loved to ride in the front of my RLX. :)

I had some thought about doing the same thing you are. I had a local vinyl shop quote wrapping a triangle seat for the front. I think they quoted me around $300-400. I was going to make the seat base out of fiberglass and send it over for them to install the foam and vinyl. I was all set to do this, then my wife decided that she wanted to sell the boat.

I'm thinking some sort of jell-o wrestling pit. I also think it would be cool if you completely covered it to make more of a sun deck than a play pen. if you hinged it half way then it would create a lot of usable storage. But then you would not be able to sit up there while the boat is in motion, maybe less kid friendly depending how old they are...

That pic was from last June, my dog loved to ride in the front of my RLX. :)

I had some thought about doing the same thing you are. I had a local vinyl shop quote wrapping a triangle seat for the front. I think they quoted me around $300-400. I was going to make the seat base out of fiberglass and send it over for them to install the foam and vinyl. I was all set to do this, then my wife decided that she wanted to sell the boat.

Ya, I figured the $ would be around that amount. Not bad. I like jell-o idea too.

How 'bout re-tooling a hot water transom shower up there, add a couple fatsac pumps and you could have a hell of a hot tub. Is that helpful?

Biggrin.gif

I'm thinking some sort of jell-o wrestling pit.

Jell-o would be a great ballast option. But I'm not sure it would be terribly easy to see past the naked wrestlers. Drool.gif

Dang, was that out loud????

As an owner of virtually the same hull configuration ('98 RLX).... and also having small kids at times....

.... I think the triangle playpen is a bit of a safety concern. Not a lot of verticle distance between the seat level and the gunnel. Wouldn't take too much horsing around for a kid to take a tumble over the edge. At least with the current seat design, they're seated back near the windshield.... and not near the front edge.

As an owner of virtually the same hull configuration ('98 RLX).... and also having small kids at times....

.... I think the triangle playpen is a bit of a safety concern. Not a lot of verticle distance between the seat level and the gunnel. Wouldn't take too much horsing around for a kid to take a tumble over the edge. At least with the current seat design, they're seated back near the windshield.... and not near the front edge.

Ya Doug...i was thinking that too. that's why i was hoping someone might have a good idea on another way to make it better. i guess my other option is to buy a bigger boat. oh well.

Thanks everyone.

My '98 RLX came with a bow tonneau cover. Was a standard Malibu part. Domes along the gunnel and base of windshield. When installed, looks like a closed bow. Also, when installed, all the clutter (if I ever had clutter) would be out of sight.

From your picture, looks like you don't have the domes along the gunnel.

Might solve one of your isses.....but still leave the option of using the open bow.

If boat wasn't under feet of snow and 150 miles away, I would take a digital and post.... but May is a long time away.