Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

clear transom protector

curtisco24

I bought some 3m from boatersworld I believe, had it on all last summer without issue. I will be installing an additional transom pad this year though.

I bought some 3m from boatersworld I believe, had it on all last summer without issue. I will be installing an additional transom pad this year though.

Not adequate amount of protection?

It was ok, kept the scuffs off the back but it didn't do anything to the sound a wakeboard makes when it slaps the back of the boat. I would cringe everytime I heard this. The stuff is actually pretty thick, probably 1/16" thick or so. For $60 for the transom pad I didn't figure I could go wrong, it was worth it for the sound alone.

It was ok, kept the scuffs off the back but it didn't do anything to the sound a wakeboard makes when it slaps the back of the boat. I would cringe everytime I heard this. The stuff is actually pretty thick, probably 1/16" thick or so. For $60 for the transom pad I didn't figure I could go wrong, it was worth it for the sound alone.

True dat.

True dat.

OK I'm curious , anybody got a picture of this clear pad installed on the bu?

Here's a couple a pic's of the 3M clear tape. I've had it on for 2 full years without any problems. It's kind of hard to see, it's clear, Biggrin.gif but you can make out the ends.

th_tp1.jpg

th_tp2.jpg

Edited by onamission
Here's a couple a pic's of the 3M clear tape. I've had it on for 2 full years without any problems. It's kind of hard to see, it's clear, Biggrin.gif but you can make out the ends.

th_tp1.jpg

th_tp2.jpg

Going for a tubing run....? Tease.gif

True dat.

OK I'm curious , anybody got a picture of this clear pad installed on the bu?

Picture of what, they're clear you can't even see it unless you're up close and looking for it.

Call or e-Mail 3M, done it for years on all my boats Transom , Trailer guides, "A" frame and croos mmbers on chassis. 2 different mil. thinner will work fine . There is a place that i bought my last 3M's Protective Film ,it was a guy that covered airplane wings shrouds, wheel covers and noses. This materia was the clearist of them all. and it flexes and mold to a round object...seriously ...aplly w/50/50 alcohol and water... squeege!!! Your boats and trailers look new wheather you drive them 600 miles a week or not. George Amodei

th_tp1.jpg

th_tp2.jpg

Going for a tubing run....? Tease.gif

Old school tournament, wood ski, 75 foot rope off the back through the course at 26MPH. Last time I was on a tube was 1982, back when use used a truck inner tube and taped down the valve stem so you wouldn't get torn up. Biggrin.gif

Edited by onamission

I got some of this clear stuff from Cabalas a few years ago, it's still on and has prevented a lot of scratches I'm sure.

Edited by bigD

We've got clear over the transom. Don't know brand but it's barely visible other than very slight discolouring and a few places at edges where grit has worked a few millimetres under it. Boat is 6 years old and no scuffs :-)

I'll definitely fit it to any future boat.

Has anyone ever removed this stuff from fiberglass after an extended install? Am thinking of putting it on the hot spots of the Bu' and on the nose/guide/tie point scuff area...just curious if it removed relatively easily if you needed to replace it or just remove it and shine for the sale of the boat, later on, for instance?

Has anyone ever removed this stuff from fiberglass after an extended install? Am thinking of putting it on the hot spots of the Bu' and on the nose/guide/tie point scuff area...just curious if it removed relatively easily if you needed to replace it or just remove it and shine for the sale of the boat, later on, for instance?

I can't see it doing anything to the gelcoat it goes on like window tint.

Me neither...but was just wondering.

I can't see it doing anything to the gelcoat it goes on like window tint.
This is what I installed a few years ago. I got it from here under "bulk film"

your link came up as "Malibu Boats Pro Wedge 2006"

Sorry amigos,

I fixed the hyper link. And, yes, I think a nice new Malibu boats Pro Wedge will protect the transom. It protects my transom from the sun fading my gelcoat during storage. (constant, outdoor, storage)