Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New exhaust options!

Intense

And look at his 'unique' exhaust routing fix...

Thats actually an after market fresh air exhaust system. Its suppose to be a good setup. Never heard or seen on in person thou. <a href="http://www.freshairexhaust.com/" target="_blank">http://www.freshairexhaust.com/</a>

Huh, I had no idea this was a product. Sure makes getting the Wedge up and down a pain-in-the-butt.

Huh, I had no idea this was a product. Sure makes getting the Wedge up and down a pain-in-the-butt.

Ya, I was noticing that too! Looks like its down all the time!

Edited by mainekneeboarder

How can the wedge go up at all? The center tube looks like it might fit between the arms, but the locking holes for the wedge in the up position is above the exhaust, which completely straddles it. Trust me, you won't want the wedge permanently down.

There is something attached to the bottom of the swim platform that I would guess holds the wedge up against the bottom of the exhaust piping. I don't know if having the wedge part way up would be very good for it and it does look like a fairly flimsy set up.

I put one of these on my last boat 06 MB Sports B52 DD. The thing works great, had know problems. We did however change the the way it mounts, we took it off the swim plate form and moved it to the rear of the boat. MB'S have a over hang at the transum that makes that posible. But it does work as advertised. I agree that the malibu would be a chalange, In Cali we knowlonger have to worrie about it because of the new CAT rule.

There is something attached to the bottom of the swim platform that I would guess holds the wedge up against the bottom of the exhaust piping. I don't know if having the wedge part way up would be very good for it and it does look like a fairly flimsy set up.

Yeah, I saw that, but it looks like the wedge will only move about an inch or so before hitting the tubes since the pivot point for the wedge arms is higher than the exhaust.

Kent...you might want to check your post over before norcalibu shows up in here.

Edited by vette-ski

I'm sure they leave the wedge down all the time. There's been mention on WW that FAE is currently testing a new design to fit Malibus with a powerwedge and then manual wedge.

Looks like to me that thing on the bottom is to keep the PVC pipes with rubber hose fittings from flexing upwards due to force of water. It's basically a spacer.

Overall, looks pretty junky to me

I know Larry of Fresh Air Exhaust fairly well. He also makes Trickboardz. Really good guy.

FAE is primarily used by folks interested in Wakesurfing. Helps reduce CO in the back of the boat and near the rider by a large amount.

As was mentioned - Larry's working on a set up for the manual wedge... and I believe he has a couple of prototypes on some power wedge boats.

He's moved from the black to a polished chrome finish - looks really good.

Check out the FAE website for more info.

http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

I'm seriously considering a FAE for my Malibu with manual wedge once they're available. I have the silent tip exhaust and it's still noisy and I can smell the exhaust when wakesurfing.

Yes.gif Ours is a stinky boat too. We always (regardless of weather) have to run with the windshield open when surfing, it just builds up too much in the cabin otherwise. And even at that, it's still not great. I'd look into the new cat system for the Hammerhead, but I know that my dealer's just going to say "it'd be easier to just buy a new boat". :lol:

My buddy has one on his Tige and really likes it. I have the CAT Monsoon so I've never noticed fumes, but it really cut down on his. I didn't notice a large difference in sound though. I expected it to be more drastic, but it is a DD so you get some engine noise in the middle of the boat anyway. He has a HUGE roostertail with it in place. I know it's not supposed to change the wake, but it really did on his boat. He didn't care though because of his knuckle-dragging wakeboardness.

Plus1.gif to wanting the Fresh Air Exhaust. Can't wait until Larry gets it figured out for the manual wedge. It may be all hype, I don't know, but after talking to him he had me convinced. There were several times last year that I ended a full day of surfing with a headache.

Designing it so that the wedge would always be down, as pictured, would not be a workable solution, IMO.

I have heard that the down-turned exhaust tips help a little though. Considering that option.

Edited by sunscapeJeff

I talked to Larry today and he said he has the Power Wedge set up dialed. Forgot to ask him about the Chrome Option, but I think it is / will be available.

post-1409-1204778813_thumb.jpg

Sorry guys, but that is just the ugliest thing I have ever seen for an exhaust

Plus1.gif

Plus1.gifPlus1.gif

Just out of curiosity, why do they have to join together? If the SS turndowns sorta work, what's wrong with tips that have a little more of a turndown on them? Still might look bad, but at least it wouldn't interfere with the wedge.

Thumbup.gif Agreed. Sorry but the only thing that comes to mind is three words, Sanford and Son

Thumbup.gif Agreed. Sorry but the only thing that comes to mind is three words, Sanford and Son

I don't know if you guys get the Red & Green show. I think it is Canadian and he can do anything with Duct tape. Crazy.gif

I like my Bu clean and simple!

Plus1.gif

Plus1.gifPlus1.gif

Just out of curiosity, why do they have to join together? If the SS turndowns sorta work, what's wrong with tips that have a little more of a turndown on them? Still might look bad, but at least it wouldn't interfere with the wedge.

It joins together and plunges under the water behind the rudder in the propwash. I think that is the area where the water would be the most turbulent and broken up resulting in less wake and handling disturbance. It really works for exhaust elimination. I spent several minutes bodyboarding behind my friends boat with that and didn't smell exhaust at all. It is a functional, not an esthetic device.