Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How often do you change your Impeller?

How often do you change your Impeller?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Every So many Years

• Every Year
    • Every 2 Years
    • Every 3 Years
  2. 2. The Last Time my Impeller Failed I changed it....

• No damage to engine, but ruined my day
    • No Damage to engine, had a spare and saved the day! :)
    • Damage to engine & Ruined my season and my day :(
  3. 3. I have never replaced my impeller...

• Boat's still too new
    • Basically pressin my luck! Goin on 7+ years and still tickin' :)
    • What's a impeller?

Does the impeller only go on one way, if so what way is that. Or is it wuniversal either end can be pushed on the shaft. Thanks. Boat has a monsoon engine.

This is just my opinion but if the impeller is still so tight in the housing that you can't pull it out then I wouldn't bother changing it. We might be on our second changed impeller in 7 years of boat ownership but I think we're still on the 1st change. We run about 60-100 hours per season. I take the cover off and look at the impeller as part of my fall maintenance but if it doesn't want to come out of the housing I'm not about to argue with it.

I keep a couple of spare impellers in the boat all the time and it is a trivial matter to change on the water.

Edited by bobofthenorth

I am averaging about 4 years on my impellers. Just changed mine for the second time in 9 years this past weekend. It was in surprisingly good shape albeit a bit stiff so I am glad I changed it. You can't tell how stiff it is by looking at it in the housing. I would imagine some people go through impellers faster in poor water quality areas.

How often do people change their globe run-dry impellers?

I've only had mine 1/8 a season.

I will say this. before I replaced my raw water pump, I had a brand new Johnson impeller in it. After only runnin the boat a dozen times, it had two grooves worn in it from the bad pump. I ran the Globe in the bad pump for about 15 hours and not a single groove. They seem to hold up better than rubber.

Does anyone know where I can find a step by step on "how to change my impeller"? I have an '05 Wakesetter VLX with an indmar 340. thanks for your help----woo hoo Malibu

Bill

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know where I can find a step by step on "how to change my impeller"? I have an '05 Wakesetter VLX with an indmar 340. thanks for your help----woo hoo Malibu

In the medium gray stripe of the header above you'll find a "search" button. Click on the "more search options". Search using the word "impeller" and select "Thread Title's Only" (otherwise you'll get a billion threads) there are several threads that discuss the "how-to".

In a nutshell...remove the cover, squirt some lube in, bump the engine to spread the lube, pull the old impeller out using 2 pr of needle nose pliers, shove the new one in, replace the cover, go ski. Thumbup.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

In the medium gray stripe of the header above you'll find a "search" button. Click on the "more search options". Search using the word "impeller" and select "Thread Title's Only" (otherwise you'll get a billion threads) there are several threads that discuss the "how-to".

In a nutshell...remove the cover, squirt some lube in, bump the engine to spread the lube, pull the old impeller out using 2 pr of needle nose pliers, shove the new one in, replace the cover, go ski. Thumbup.gif

He has a VLX. Tease2.gif

He has a VLX. Tease2.gif

:Doh: Oh. Well in that case, before attempting to change the impeller you better take about six months of yoga classes to be able to contort your body into the required positions. ROFL.gif Then have someone pound your head flat with a 2X4 to aid in standing on your head in the engine compartment for a half hour. ROFL.gif

• 3 months later...
The poll won't let me vote because the ruined impeller didn't ruin anything. I replaced it & we were skiing again 15 minutes later.

Always..... ALWAYS carry a spare with you.

I've used Johnson for years. Bought the Globe this year from the bu Crew.

I was wondering how you were able to change it that fast. When the engine on my V-drive it that hot I have to wait quite a while before I can safely get the impeller houseing cover off (between needing to lay on the engine and threading my hand right by the exhaust plenum).

• 3 weeks later...
The poll won't let me vote because the ruined impeller didn't ruin anything. I replaced it & we were skiing again 15 minutes later.

Always..... ALWAYS carry a spare with you.

I've used Johnson for years. Bought the Globe this year from the bu Crew.

I was wondering how you were able to change it that fast. When the engine on my V-drive it that hot I have to wait quite a while before I can safely get the impeller houseing cover off (between needing to lay on the engine and threading my hand right by the exhaust plenum).

I should have clarified that was on a Prostar. I didn't buy this boat (Vride) till last fall. At the time I wrote this, I'd only used the boat about 5 times. It was a royal PITA to change out the impeller on the Vride. Getting around the exhaust is tight & I'm sure would keep you from changing the impeller when it was hot.

On a side note..... I wonder of all the Globe impeller users, has anyone pulled theirs to see how it's holding up?

• 4 months later...

Put 125 hours on my Globe last season and pulled it in the fall. Still looked like new. I will put in another new on in for this season and save the first one for my spare. The year before my globe impeller was a Johnson stock impeller and it was missing half a vein after 1 season.

I change mine when I experience above normal engine temps. Since I don't really travel with the boat, and have a spare impeller ready, it's no big deal if it comes apart.

If the impeller is bad it will usually explode the first outing of the year.

• 2 months later...

Ours was changed out at 100hrs and will probably wait until the end of this year for a new one, unless it needs to be replaced and have a back up in the glove box. Most likely will take us well over 200hrs before the second replacement so it averages out ever 1 1/2 years or so.

It's been over 7 years for mine (including previous owner). Got a spare one on board if I need it. I sometimes wonder if they make 'em cheaper these days. Kind of like the razor blade market... they make a lot more money on replacements than if they sold one bullet proof one for more. Seems like a nice brass impeller would make more sense.

By the way... since I've never broken one, how do you know? Do you hear it first (I assume), or do you have to catch the temp gauge rising?

martinarcher
It's been over 7 years for mine (including previous owner). Got a spare one on board if I need it. I sometimes wonder if they make 'em cheaper these days. Kind of like the razor blade market... they make a lot more money on replacements than if they sold one bullet proof one for more. Seems like a nice brass impeller would make more sense.

By the way... since I've never broken one, how do you know? Do you hear it first (I assume), or do you have to catch the temp gauge rising?

Same here. Mines probably 5 years old and was installed byt he previous owner. I always keep an eye on the temp gauge and oil pressure and have a spare and gaskets in the glovebox. I figure I could change it on the water in an hour with the tools on the boat.

• 2 months later...
If you carry a spare what's the point of changing it every year? Throwing away $$$ in my opinion. I ran one for 400+ hours and finally took it out last year. Still looked OK with a few chips out of a couple veins, but kept the engine plenty cool. It did take a bit of a "set" from sitting in the housing for 5 years but now I remove it during winterization.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, spend the $$ on gas.

Ohh, you have never chased an overheating problem because a couple vanes got lodged in the cooling system. This is even more true if you have a heat exchanger were finding those suckers is a nightmare. I toss in a new one at every oil change so I don't interrupt my ability to spend money on gas.

• 2 weeks later...