Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How often do you change your Impeller?

How often do you change your Impeller?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Every So many Years

• Every Year
    • Every 2 Years
    • Every 3 Years
  2. 2. The Last Time my Impeller Failed I changed it....

• No damage to engine, but ruined my day
    • No Damage to engine, had a spare and saved the day! :)
    • Damage to engine & Ruined my season and my day :(
  3. 3. I have never replaced my impeller...

• Boat's still too new
    • Basically pressin my luck! Goin on 7+ years and still tickin' :)
    • What's a impeller?

Just another one of those curiousity questions... In my opinion, a impeller service is the #1 most over sought/most important service item on the list of things to do come spring time.

I know we're not all going to change it every year like the book says, because the book wants you to change every moving part on that engine!

So how often do you change your impeller out honestly?

I Just thought i would share with you all since it is that time of the year, I found this deal on the internet for a OEM Johnson 09-812b Impeller replacement for our Indmar engines

<a href="http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=276" target="_blank">http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=276</a>

I will only use OEM because once I purchased a Jabsco replacement impeller (a few bucks less exspensive) for my boat and the shaft came un-gluded from the impeller after 30 hours of use leaving me stranded, luckily I had a spare. So now i stick to OEM replacement parts and i've never had a problem since... stay with the Johnson Impeller if you can!

Summer is all most here! Yahoo.gif

Edited by 98mallybu

Cheers to that! I agree 100% inexspensive maint. compared to what could happen / ruin the day/weekend/vaca out on the water. Summer is short here in the NW so every day boating for me i want to be out on the water as long as i can.

A bunch of us here have been running a "globe" "run dry" impellors. They are not that much more than standard ones. I used one all last season with out any problems. It is supposed to be constructed with a superior material that will not burn up if run for short periods of time with a limited water flow, and is supposed to be more durable under normal use too. This has proved to be very valuable to me since I have to drive through a partially weedy section of lake to get into and out of my dock. On several occasions ground up weeds get stuck in the intake screen, enough to restrict water flow. This is easy to detect since we have to idle in the shallows for quite a bit to reach the main part of the lake and the engine temp starts to creep up. None the less, in that situation the impeller is starved for water flow. I have shredded a regular impeller due to restricted water flow, and I have seen a few others on our lake with an impeller that burned up. I have not had this happen with the globe impeller. I would change ANY impeller (globe or not) every season, and would always keep a spare on board!

The poll won't let me vote because the ruined impeller didn't ruin anything. I replaced it & we were skiing again 15 minutes later.

Always..... ALWAYS carry a spare with you.

I've used Johnson for years. Bought the Globe this year from the bu Crew.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Every 2 years. Never had a problem with one going out on us ever. Thinking I should change over to every year. Some good points small price to pay to be sure you stay on the water. Can I pick up a Globe impeller from my dealer or from Overton's?

You need more options on your poll. I change it when it breaks. It is only a 5 min job and easy to do on the water. Just make sure you carry a spare. I usually get about 3 years out of them. It never has much effect on my day.

/Steve

Edited by ibelieve
The poll won't let me vote because the ruined impeller didn't ruin anything. I replaced it & we were skiing again 15 minutes later.

Always..... ALWAYS carry a spare with you.

I've used Johnson for years. Bought the Globe this year from the bu Crew.

same here

I replace every year but had it fail after running 40 hours last year. I was thinking when it happened that these things fail by throwing blades so when I looked at it in the boat it looked ok so I thought something else had happened. After several hours of paddleing (not seriously but to indicate to someone else we needed a tow) and then waiting for the trailer to be brought to us. I finally thought, lets turn the engine over with the cover off the pump to see what's really happening here. We did, and saw that the durn thing had failed by the metal hub spinning free inside the rubber-vaned outer part. I pulled out the spare, whipped it in, dunked the boat back in the water and off we went. Ruined our morning ski on Lake Norris but that's about it!

Chadwick talk about proof that the run dry works. WOW Yahoo.gif

Where can you get the globe impellers and how much are they?

Here

I am running a Group Buy on the Run dry impeller. This links gives info on the group buy and other links to more data/info.

GLOBE impellers are made of elastomer compounds, developed for optimum performance and self lubricating for run-dry protection. Additionally, GLOBE impellers have greater resistance to sand and dirt abrasion.

Ran my first impeller for four years. Came out looking like new. Now it is my spare. On my outboard (a 1988), I finally changed it last year after 950 salt water hours. That too came out looking like new. I do run a temperature and pressure gauge on my outboards' cooling system for early warning, plus there is the idiot horn built into the throttle. Pressure and temp has never fluctuated from day one.

Edited by electricjohn

Here

I am running a Group Buy on the Run dry impeller. This links gives info on the group buy and other links to more data/info.

GLOBE impellers are made of elastomer compounds, developed for optimum performance and self lubricating for run-dry protection. Additionally, GLOBE impellers have greater resistance to sand and dirt abrasion.

Would that include getting a little toooo close to shore and sucking up a bit of sand?....not that I have seen this happen Whistling.gif

I had 1 vane broke off my oem impeller last fall when I winterized. It was new at the start of the season and had 160 hours on it. It was never run dry. I have gone 3 or 4 years on I.O. boats and never had a problem. I think with these impellers up at engine level instead of in the lower unit as in th I.O. that they actually do run dry for the short time it takes to suck water up to pump. Is this thinking correct? I am switching to Globe this year thanks to the group buy.

Here

Would that include getting a little toooo close to shore and sucking up a bit of sand?....not that I have seen this happen Whistling.gif

Standard impellers do NOT like sand, rock and weeds and hope to NEVER see first hand if the globe can stand up too this kind of suction. :Doh:

I had never heard of globe before... I wrote globe and Indmar a e-mail because i'm really interested in what they have to say... I'm worried that this is too new of a product and it has not been through it's long term testing yet...

The engine Warranty does not cover over heating so i'm sticking to a proven product (for now)

I added a few more options to the poll so it's a little bit more "fair game" for everybody...

They have been working with the military for yrs on this product and many of manufactures. I'm sure globe will tell you how great they are and Inmar is going to say "stay with OEM. I for one was in your same boots about a yr ago when I started to research. But after talking to the Globe and a few vendors that do testing I have found them to be a product that is going to start changing the way we think about impellers.

I change mine if it needs it or if the temp is looking funny. I have also found that if the boat is on plane it will force enough water in to keep it near or at running temp. With that statement let me also say this has been my observation on three boats. 99 Centurion V drive A 99 SSlxi and 06 Rlxi. If you sit until the temp is cool enough to start and get to plain with the temp in a operation range the boats maintained or even cooled when on plane running around 28 to 30 MPH. Also I keep a very close watch at the temp when this has happened. I also had a boat I was skiing with show overheating not bad just ten to fifteen deg. over operating temp. We opened it up and the impeller looked fine but it had taken shape and was not pumping up to snuff I pulled it reversed it and it ran fine well the new one was being shipped two days later.

I have a spar and am ready if my boat has a problem. Biggrin.gif

I change mine if it needs it or if the temp is looking funny. I have also found that if the boat is on plane it will force enough water in to keep it near or at running temp. With that statement let me also say this has been my observation on three boats. 99 Centurion V drive A 99 SSlxi and 06 Rlxi. If you sit until the temp is cool enough to start and get to plain with the temp in a operation range the boats maintained or even cooled when on plane running around 28 to 30 MPH. Also I keep a very close watch at the temp when this has happened. I also had a boat I was skiing with show overheating not bad just ten to fifteen deg. over operating temp. We opened it up and the impeller looked fine but it had taken shape and was not pumping up to snuff I pulled it reversed it and it ran fine well the new one was being shipped two days later.

I have a spar and am ready if my boat has a problem. Biggrin.gif

This is true, I had to do this in a friends boat once that didn't carry a spare impeller with him. If you remove the old impeller and get the boat to about 10-20 MPH there is enough water forcing into the intake so you can drive the boat to the trailer/dock and keep the boat in operating temp range..

What would Mcguyver do?

This is true, I had to do this in a friends boat once that didn't carry a spare impeller with him. If you remove the old impeller and get the boat to about 10-20 MPH there is enough water forcing into the intake so you can drive the boat to the trailer/dock and keep the boat in operating temp range..

What would Mcguyver do?

he would make an impeller out of Duct Tape Rockon.gif

all right, for the 3 gents or ladies that don't know what a impeller is....... did you learn what it is/does or should we help out?

If you carry a spare what's the point of changing it every year? Throwing away $$$ in my opinion. I ran one for 400+ hours and finally took it out last year. Still looked OK with a few chips out of a couple veins, but kept the engine plenty cool. It did take a bit of a "set" from sitting in the housing for 5 years but now I remove it during winterization.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, spend the $$ on gas.

If you carry a spare what's the point of changing it every year? Throwing away $$$ in my opinion. I ran one for 400+ hours and finally took it out last year. Still looked OK with a few chips out of a couple veins, but kept the engine plenty cool. It did take a bit of a "set" from sitting in the housing for 5 years but now I remove it during winterization.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, spend the $$ on gas.

i completly disagree with you 110%... it's such easy inexspensive maint. you would be dumb not to do it knowing what could happen...

lets see, over heat... hmmmm, what could it do... Blown seals and gaskets, blown piston rings, warped exhaust or intake manifolds (exspecially hammerheads that have aluminum manifolds and pistons), melted fittings or hoses, failed mufflers... a lot of things that can leave your boat dead in the water...

Would you risk that pain in the a$s for a $35 part? Every other year or every 100 hours is 100% worth every minute i spend changing my impeller... The last thing i want to do is be changing my impeller during a vacation because it failed... i would rather just do it and have the piece of mind that i did what i could to take care of my boat and hopefully it return the favor to me...