Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help in folding up bimini

When I bought my '05 Wakesetter back in November, the seller did not have a clue how to fold-up the bimini on the boat. So - we removed it for the drive to its new home. I put the bimini back on the boat this weekend to try to figure out how to fold it down. I feel kinda silly that I can't figure this thing out. The bimini is attached to the Illusion tower by two metal rods in the front. It also has an extension that zips onto the back of the bimini. I have attached some pics of it. Can anyone help me? I called the bimini manufacturer and he wasn't any help. I'm hauling the boat to the stereo shop tomorrow so if I can't figure it out by this afternoon, then I'll just remove the entire bimini again.

Thanks!

post-1625-1204572534_thumb.jpg

post-1625-1204572654_thumb.jpg

post-1625-1204572841_thumb.jpg

The bimini will not fold and stow with the extension zipped in place. It's either all off or all on. If you remove the extension and put the regular loop back on, then it will stow in a boot up against the tower, but that is a little trick as well. Anyway, if I were you, I'd just take the whole thing off for now. Actually, looking at the pics, it doesn't look like a metcraft bimini or a towerbimini for that matter. Who is the manufacturer?

The bimini will not fold and stow with the extension zipped in place. It's either all off or all on. If you remove the extension and put the regular loop back on, then it will stow in a boot up against the tower, but that is a little trick as well. Anyway, if I were you, I'd just take the whole thing off for now. Actually, looking at the pics, it doesn't look like a metcraft bimini or a towerbimini for that matter. Who is the manufacturer?

The bimini was made by a Dallas, TX company called Dallas Canvas and Boat Tops. I talked to the new owner of the place and emailed him pictures, but I haven't heard back from him. I guess I'll just remove the bimini tonight so I can haul it to the stereo shop tomorrow. I just wanted to have the bimini attached so the stereo guys didn't install my speakers and have them interfer with the bimini. Thanks for your input. BTW - what is the regular loop that you spoke about that you said I need to put back on? I don't have anything else that came with the bimini except the storage bag.

The bimini was made by a Dallas, TX company called Dallas Canvas and Boat Tops. I talked to the new owner of the place and emailed him pictures, but I haven't heard back from him. I guess I'll just remove the bimini tonight so I can haul it to the stereo shop tomorrow. I just wanted to have the bimini attached so the stereo guys didn't install my speakers and have them interfer with the bimini. Thanks for your input. BTW - what is the regular loop that you spoke about that you said I need to put back on? I don't have anything else that came with the bimini except the storage bag.

The standard bimini ends at the zipper. You have an aftermarket extension that was added to the original bimini. There should be a metal bow that fits in there if you were to detach the extension at the zipper. It would run from the tower, around the back of the bimini and back to the tower. It's like what you have now, except it is shorter so it would give you the option to take off the extension if you wanted. Oh man, it is so hard to explain in words, but that's the general idea.

How far is it? How fast will you have to drive to get there. You've probably already drove with it up @ 45-50 MPH on the water.

Hey Ronnie. Umm...I hate to say this, but I have yet to drive this boat. :unsure: Other than driving it across the marina and loading it on the trailer, the boat has sat in my driveway since I got it home last November. Shoot - I haven't even taken a picture of the boat until this morning when I snapped the photos of the bimini. The stereo shop is in Georgetown - about 1 hour away. Do you think I can drive it that far with the bimini up? I hadn't thought about that - always assumed the bimini should be lowered for travel. Is that too risky?

If it was me and I couldn't fold it I would take it off and take it with me to the stereo shop if you think they need it. Do you have room to take it like that? Did you get a boot to put it in if it's folded? It looks like it would fold similar to the factory from the pictures. If you want I can call and try to walk you through it.

The standard bimini ends at the zipper. You have an aftermarket extension that was added to the original bimini. There should be a metal bow that fits in there if you were to detach the extension at the zipper. It would run from the tower, around the back of the bimini and back to the tower. It's like what you have now, except it is shorter so it would give you the option to take off the extension if you wanted. Oh man, it is so hard to explain in words, but that's the general idea.

Your words make perfect sense. Maybe there is a bar like that under one of the seats that I've just not noticed. I'll take a look for it. If not, I'll contact the bimini mfg and see about getting one. The extension is nice, but don't think I will use it very often. I tend to hang on the water with sun worshippers! :blush: