Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GAS

fm4th

I just got a used Malibu 07 VLX and I'm wounding what type of gas do I put in it? **87-89-93** The boat has 60 Hour on it what is the next service thing I have to do???

Thank you for your time...

Here is a link that will help.

Monsoon 340, manual states 89 while many of us just use 87 w/o any issues. Using lower octane will not hurt the engine.

HH use 89

LS1 use 92

According to Indmar, the short of it is you can safely run 87 octane if the fuel is fresh and you plan on using it up in a very short time (for example over the weekend). The reason behind using 89 octane is that most boats sit for several days or weeks at a time and the fuel will degrade with a result of loss in octane.

I'd change all the fluids oil/tranny clean the air/spark arestor and change the fuel filer. Most of this should have been completed w/ the 20hr service as well. When I buy used I like to simply change all the fluids.

Monsoon 340, manual states 89 while many of us just use 87 w/o any issues. Using lower octane will not hurt the engine.

HH use 89

LS1 use 92

According to Indmar, the short of it is you can safely run 87 octane if the fuel is fresh and you plan on using it up in a very short time (for example over the weekend). The reason behind using 89 octane is that most boats sit for several days or weeks at a time and the fuel will degrade with a result of loss in octane.

I'd change all the fluids oil/tranny clean the air/spark arestor and change the fuel filer. Most of this should have been completed w/ the 20hr service as well. When I buy used I like to simply change all the fluids.

I just ordered an 08 23LSV with a Hammerhead. Does this mean if I keep the fuel fresh that I can use 87 octane as well?

This topic comes up every year. :Doh: Do you really think that Indmar would recommend 89 octane if there was no benefit? The manufacturer recommends 89 (except for the LS's), why not use it? Is $4 - $5 per tank that big of a deal? You can afford a $50-80K boat but not 10¢ a gallon more for better fuel? Crazy.gif

HH use 89

LS1 use 92

I just ordered an 08 23LSV with a Hammerhead. Does this mean if I keep the fuel fresh that I can use 87 octane as well?

With regards to the HH Indmar recommended to me that you use a 89, as it's a higher performance engine than the monsoon. So yes use the recommneded, with the monsoon I've used both 87 and 89 and no difference in gas consumption or power.

This topic comes up every year. :Doh: Do you really think that Indmar would recommend 89 octane if there was no benefit? The manufacturer recommends 89 (except for the LS's), why not use it? Is $4 - $5 per tank that big of a deal? You can afford a $50-80K boat but not 10¢ a gallon more for better fuel? Crazy.gif

Or figure if you go through 500 gallons in a season, the difference is ~$50. Fifty bucks for the YEAR sounds like a pretty good maintenance program/insurance policy to me. I use 89.

But, of course, I'm one of those guys who changes the impeller before it self-destructs. Crazy.gif

But, of course, I'm one of those guys who changes the impeller before it self-destructs. Crazy.gif

Me too. :) Or at least I try to, sometimes they go away unexpectedly. Cry.gif

Me too. :) Or at least I try to, sometimes they go away unexpectedly. Cry.gif

I've heard that if you almost sink your boat, it tends to cause undue pressure on the impeller. Tease2.gif

I've heard that if you almost sink your boat, it tends to cause undue pressure on the impeller. Tease2.gif

I don't know about that... :unsure: ...but I can tell you that it will kill a bilge pump. Yes.gif

:lol:Cry.gif:lol:

HH use 89

LS1 use 92

With regards to the HH Indmar recommended to me that you use a 89, as it's a higher performance engine than the monsoon. So yes use the recommneded, with the monsoon I've used both 87 and 89 and no difference in gas consumption or power.

I confused, the HH is not an LS1 based motor? I thought the only real difference was the bore/stroke in the HH vesus the monsoon. Monsoon 350ci HH 383ci? :unsure:

Oh yeah, and the gas station near my work just raised the price of gas to $3.80 for reg. and $4.56 for prem. I swear they are doing it to be the highest priced gas station around, they should be over $5.00 during the middle of summer Whistling.gif

Total B.S.

HH use 89

LS1 use 92

I confused, the HH is not an LS1 based motor? I thought the only real difference was the bore/stroke in the HH vesus the monsoon. Monsoon 350ci HH 383ci? :unsure:

Just quoting what came from Indmar, but yes that was my understanding as well.