Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-drive Engine Hatch won't function on '98 Sunsetter

Never had any problems with my hatch opening, until I let it sit for the past few months. I'm about to put the boat up for sale and was doing a little cleaning on it this weekend. As usual when you're about to sell something, things start breaking Cry.gif . Now the V-drive engine access hatch will not automatically open on my 1998 Sunsetter. When the switch is depressed, the lift motor makes the usual noise, but the hatch will not lift. I removed the hatch cover and unhooked the lift contraption to try to isolate the problem. With limited knowledge on something like this, I'm pretty much stumped. The motor is running, but it is no longer lifting. My local Malibu dealer is closed today or I would call and talk to them. Unfortunately the manual doesn't cover any technical problems like this. Anybody had a similar problem and can share their outcome?

Thanks!

The gears that turn the worm screw, which lists the hatch, have probably given out. This happened to mine a couple years ago.

The dealer will be able to get you a replacement.

A word of advise, pull the old one off and take it to the dealer. This way they will order the correct length. The first one I got was too long.

The gears that turn the worm screw, which lists the hatch, have probably given out. This happened to mine a couple years ago.

The dealer will be able to get you a replacement.

A word of advise, pull the old one off and take it to the dealer. This way they will order the correct length. The first one I got was too long.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to stop by the Malibu dealership tomorrow while I'm in Austin and ask them about it. Hope it's something so simple. It's time to get this '98 boat on the sales market since I bought an '05 Wakesetter back in November. It's been a long winter looking at two boats in my barn for the past 4 months. Plus my hubby has been griping about wanting to put up hay in that barn. :)