Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question #1001 about props

Chappy

OK, I am sure this has been asked 1000 times so this will be number 1001 so please bear with me. I just bought an 2008 VLX with a Monsoon 340 and I do not even know what the stock prop is. Right know top speed is 44 mph. I am interested in getting a little more holeshot umph. Can some one give me one or two simple recommedations from a prop standpoint? Thanks!

OK, I am sure this has been asked 1000 times so this will be number 1001 so please bear with me. I just bought an 2008 VLX with a Monsoon 340 and I do not even know what the stock prop is. Right know top speed is 44 mph. I am interested in getting a little more holeshot umph. Can some one give me one or two simple recommedations from a prop standpoint? Thanks!

What prop did it come with?

I have the same boat with the same engine on it's way and I'm swapping to an OJ XMP Edge. I know Acme is the OEM supplier for Malibu, but from what my dealer said, he's run a bunch of different Acme's and likes the OJ XMP better. The XMP Edge is also the prop most of the pro's run on their heavily weighted boats.

... looking around to figure out how I ended up on wakeworld :unsure:

Lots of great facts flying around here..

Guy #1 says he wants a different prop, but doesn't know what he has..

Guy #3 has the same boat (they dont' always ship with the same prop BTW) but hasn't even driven it yet... and says he is going to a new prop because that is what the pro's use (as if most people use their boats like the pro's do)

Anyway - I can't wait to see how this turns out.. Rockon.gif

Edited by SacRiverRat

Try using the search button on the top right and put in PROPS. Also this is first hand proof why people need to fill out how to prop your boat.

I pulled up an old thread and will give you this for light reading.

I've got the 1235 on my VTX and I want to re-prop. It is great for getting out of the hole, for surfing and even boarding, but I like to ski, and at 34 mph I'm turning over 4000 rpm - much to high for me. Anyone have some numbers for the 475 at 34 mph?

Yes, but with the Hammerhead. I'm not sure how much that would change things, but both jshap & I tested the 475 & baselined our boats with the 537 as a direct comparison. Here are the links to the posts:

My post

jshap's post

Overall, I was really impressed with the prop. It improved handling (less, if any cavitation - the 537 would cavitate badly on a hard turn when ballasted, & I could get the 475 to just a little), hole shot was fantastic & I only lost about .5 mph on the top end. Mine should be here at the end of the week. Biggrin.gif

Lots of great facts flying around here..

Guy #1 says he wants a different prop, but doesn't know what he has..

Guy #3 has the same boat (they dont' always ship with the same prop BTW) but hasn't even driven it yet... and says he is going to a new prop because that is what the pro's use (as if most people use their boats like the pro's do)

Anyway - I can't wait to see how this turns out.. Rockon.gif

Everyone loves a smartass Rockon.gif Thanks for the insight and support Whistling.gif

... looking around to figure out how I ended up on wakeworld :unsure: ...
Everyone loves a smartass Rockon.gif

:lol: hdchapman is only 12 posts in and he already has Troy pegged. ROFL.gif

Doesn't take a genius...... Whistling.gif

Doesn't take a genius...... Whistling.gif

Probably didn't take all 12 posts... Whistling.gifBiggrin.gif

For a good hull shot and better gas consumption I would use the 14.25 X 14.5 LC XMP EDGE 4-blade part# 475. This seems to match up well with the vlx with a monsoon. I get a new boat every year and have tested acmes, ojs, etc and this was the best prop I found for the vlx. Another option is to contact both acme and oj directly and see what they have to say. OJ offers the edge in various cups so if you go over your goals you may find the same 14.25s14.5 but with a different cup for your needs.

Edited by Wkerat

It has nothing to do with the fact the pro's run it, but they all run a lot of weight so if they're using it, there must be a good reason. I run a lot of weight and know I can increase fuel consumption and hole shot by switching props. I will be losing some top end speed, but I really don't care about that. I've also had stock and upgraded props on other boats with the same Indmar motors in them. I know what it takes to push the amount of weight I want to push and the stock prop would be struggling. Heck the upgraded prop is going to struggle Biggrin.gif

(taking a bow) Biggrin.gif glad to help bring out the facts..

Now Chapman, go checkout your prop (says right on the hub) probably ACME 537, but could be a ACME 357.. knowing what you've got, and what you don't like about it, could help us direct you to what you are looking for.

One guy's favorite prop may not be much different than what you've got, or not used in the same way you like to use your boat. I went to a "favorite prop" and it wasn't a big enough bump for me, so I've been through a couple.

Welcome to the group -

geesh... Chapman, your not gettign any love here...

Here is the low down for you, this is why stock props are different...

Monsoon Gets the 13.5x16 Acme 537

Hammerhead Gets the 13.5x17.5 Acme 381

You want low end and torque? go to the high altitude prop 14.25x14.5 (i think)bad a** prop, throw as much weight in the boat as you want and you can't tell a diffference... you can still get 40MPH out of this prop... Great for surfing / wakeboarding, improves hole shot like none other!

You want low end and torque? go to the high altitude prop 14.25x14.5 (i think)bad a** prop, throw as much weight in the boat as you want and you can't tell a diffference... you can still get 40MPH out of this prop... Great for surfing / wakeboarding, improves hole shot like none other!

I wouldn't go that far. If you have a lot of extra weight in the boat you may struggle to get on plane with the stock prop or won't get there at all. With the upgraded prop will get you there, but if you have a lot of extra weight it might not be too quick. I've personally seen people add extra ballast with stock props and not be able to get on plane, then when they switch to a high altitude prop they get there (happens a lot in Xstars with the fly high system and 350MCX).

I'm going with the 14.25 X 14.5 LC XMP EDGE 4-blade part# 475 that wkerat mentioned.

How much weight are you going to be putting in the boat? I ask that because I have saced out my boat with 2300lbs -2500lbs plus 5 people one weekend and Yes a few of the crew was on the boat. I had the OJ 468 and that thing pulled it out of hole nicely and came up on plane with out a problem. Now when I had just a few people in the boat, I wound hit the rev limiter with out a problem. So this prop was not what I wanted, plus I don't run that kind of weight all the time. I just has some smart butt kids wanting to see what it would do. LOL

One other thing. If your running at high altitudes like Reno NV then your going to want the 468 prop over the 475.

As mentioned most of the people with the VLX will be super happy with the 475 OJ. Wait a week before buying I have some news coming out.

• 1 month later...

I can already see I'm going to appreciate the knowledge of the Bu' crew! When I say i'm a newbie, I mean I have been on a V-drive boat once, and pontoons and jet skis every other instence. I come from an athletic background, and watching the young and old "playing" on the wakes got to me...I caught the bug. 10-12 person capacity and its the premium wake boat on the market, sign me up. Your questions are ones I probably wouldn't even know to ask, and rookie mistakes can be very expensive! Again, thanks to all for asking and answering, and because of you (and months of research), I'm living the Malibu dream in Carolina. Thumbup.gif

Off the subject, what needs to happen before I can post pics?

I can already see I'm going to appreciate the knowledge of the Bu' crew! When I say i'm a newbie, I mean I have been on a V-drive boat once, and pontoons and jet skis every other instence. I come from an athletic background, and watching the young and old "playing" on the wakes got to me...I caught the bug. 10-12 person capacity and its the premium wake boat on the market, sign me up. Your questions are ones I probably wouldn't even know to ask, and rookie mistakes can be very expensive! Again, thanks to all for asking and answering, and because of you (and months of research), I'm living the Malibu dream in Carolina. Thumbup.gif

two choices, you can pony up $25.00 or $50.00 to become a "crewsupporter" or "crewchief" (this support helps keep the site alive (notice, no advertising). the other option is to post your pics on photobucket or the like and use the add photo button to insert the link to your pics (your pics will show up in your post).

two choices, you can pony up $25.00 or $50.00 to become a "crewsupporter" or "crewchief" (this support helps keep the site alive (notice, no advertising). the other option is to post your pics on photobucket or the like and use the add photo button to insert the link to your pics (your pics will show up in your post).

Thanks Cervelo. Eager to post boat and friend pics.

geesh... Chapman, your not gettign any love here...

Here is the low down for you, this is why stock props are different...

Monsoon Gets the 13.5x16 Acme 537

Hammerhead Gets the 13.5x17.5 Acme 381

Actually it really varies. Our Hammerhead came with a 537, I've known others with Hammerheads to get a 381, & I've known at least one other person with a Hammerhead that got an 817 (taller yet than a 381). My point? You've got to look at your prop to be sure, because you don't know what the factory will send with the boat. Fortunately I haven't heard of nearly as much deviation with the Monsoon, mainly because it really needs propped down.

My recommendation would be to go with an OJ 468 for the Monsoon, & an OJ 475 for the Hammerhead. Having driven the VLX with those matches, I believe that they're almost ideal in terms of overall performance. This was at sea level, & one thing that I did notice is that the performance edge that the Hammerhead had with the 475 on it vs. the 537 was negated with altitude.