Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Decision Between 2 Boats! Help!

Bobby Dazzla

Hey guys hopefully I can get some response here from people that have had experince with both boats and guide me. Basically I have 2 boats that I am going to choose between. Listed below

Boat 1

2002 Malibu Wakesetter LXi

250 hours, perfect pass, wedge, bimini, no stereo or aftermaket ballest or board rack.

Also has 3 month dealer warranty.

Boat 2

2001 Malibu wakesetter VLX

750 hours, wedge, bimini, board racks, big stereo lots of aftermarket ballast about 800

Both are in about the same conditon. Boat 1 has MUCH lower hours and warranty but boat 2 has all the goodies already loaded in plus the better V drive layout.

What do you guys think? Both are approx the same price by the way. Would also like to keep resale in mind and we are just starting out so a massive wake is not really that essential.

Look forward to your responses!

Steve

PS soon to be a BU owner! =)

It depends on what you want to do? Wakeboard only, ski and wake, etc. We need more information about things like: number of people you plan on taking in the boat, main uses, etc.

If you are using the boat 75% or more wake, then vlx provided its in good shape. If you still like to run the course, then the lxi.

Provided the vlx was properly maintained and taken care of, I'd go with the vlx - hands down. I think the resale market for the vlx is way stronger the the lxi.

Sorry guys I should have stated, boat will be used mainly for wakeboarding and the odd bit of tubing. Also in regards to how many people we would normally be taking about 5-6 but it could be more or less. Im leaning towards the VLX. Also does anyone know of the 01 VLX hull was differnt in aus? I am sure I have read somewhere that its still the ski hull as we produced that boat here? Im not 100% sure though.

Thankyou so far for your replies!

While I love to tell ya that the SLXI is a better boarding boat, I can't, though I know where you can get a killer '00 SLXI... :) The SLXI will produce a good beginner to entry-level intermediate level wake and for a DD it does have the best storage. The VLX produces the top wakes and does have more storage and w/ 5-6 people out every time the SLXI certainly can handle it (10 people max) it's not quite as comfortable in terms of space of that of the VLX. The SLXI is probably the better deal but I'd say test drive each of them and take a wakeboard run behind it, then you'll know for sure which wake is best for your needs. Since I own both boats the SLXI is a better crossover boat, but the VLX is clearly a better boat for advanced wakeboarding/surfing.

That VLX that he's looking at is on the Diamond hull, more specifically the old SV23 diamond. It would give the SLXI a run for its money on crossover capability IMO. Maybe not quite as good on the slalom side, but there are always tradeoffs to this decision & it's going to be worlds better than the current VLX.

That VLX that he's looking at is on the Diamond hull, more specifically the old SV23 diamond. It would give the SLXI a run for its money on crossover capability IMO. Maybe not quite as good on the slalom side, but there are always tradeoffs to this decision & it's going to be worlds better than the current VLX.

If it is a Wakesetter VLX, then it is not on the diamond hull, but it is a Sunsetter VLX, then it is on the diamond hull for 2001.

Thanx for all your replies guys! Can you still get a decent sized wake from the diamond hull loaded up with ballast? There has been another boat thrown in to the mix for the same price, 2001 Sunsetter VLX 186 hours, 325hp EFI, perefect pass, wedege, boat cover, cd player etc. This looks like a better buy and it will still have the same hull as the 01 wakesetter VLX from aus correct? (diamond hull)

Thanks again!

Thanx for all your replies guys! Can you still get a decent sized wake from the diamond hull loaded up with ballast? There has been another boat thrown in to the mix for the same price, 2001 Sunsetter VLX 186 hours, 325hp EFI, perefect pass, wedege, boat cover, cd player etc. This looks like a better buy and it will still have the same hull as the 01 wakesetter VLX from aus correct? (diamond hull)

Thanks again!

The diamond hull version only needs addtional weight and it'll be close to the nondiamond hull wakesetters, the '01 seems like a better deal especially if you plan on keeping it for awhile.

Here are some threads about diamond hulls on WW.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...921/479797.html

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...921/283444.html

From what I have read the diamond hull can produce a good wake. Your decision on which hull really depends on how much wake you want. From what I understand the diamond hull falls off when you start putting serious weight in the boa. (more than 2k of ballast).

There are also pics in that first post of what a diamond hull is.

Sounds crazy, but people from AUS are buying bu's the in the US and importing them since the US dollar is pretty weak. You may have a lot more choices for the same/lower cost.

-Chris

My vote would be for the VLX, by far the bad boy in the line up.... unless your planning sking the course... then i would say Response LXI

good luck!

What VLX guys? The wakesetter or the sunsetter? Considering they both have the diamond hull here in aus for those years? I wish they had the wake hull but they dont... will I still be able to get a decent wake with wedge and some ballast?

yeah all aus built setters pre 05 used a diamond hull.. that said, you should still be able to get a plenty good enough wake for anyone less then pro.

Remember before the wake hull came to aus, all the boarders thought the setter was pretty damn good...

Its kinda like having a porche, then going up to a ferrari, and saying the porche was crap.. it wasnt crap, just youve found something better

Hehe Yes exilr8 I think thats exactly what it is. Didnt they always used to use the response for comps back in the day before wakesetters? And they had the dimaond hull didnt they?

As I said this is my first boat and im only just starting in the wake department anyway!

Down the track a brand new VLX will be on the cards if all goes well! =)

Thanx for the replies guys!