Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can I surf with this setup?

Malibusteve

I want to wakesurf with my boat, but only with the factory ballast and wedge. Is this doable? with one of the longer boards perhaps?

2007 VTX with wake hull

All factory ballasts

power wedge

I've surfed behind a 21' Maristar V-Drive with no ballast, obviously no wedge, and just a driver and observer. Surfing.gif You should be fine.

Edited by NorCaliBu

My bro can surf behind our direct drive wakesetter with ballast and wedge on problem. Just need to know how to pump a little.

I want to wakesurf with my boat, but only with the factory ballast and wedge. Is this doable? with one of the longer boards perhaps?

2007 VTX with wake hull

All factory ballasts

power wedge

my friend has the same boat than you and we have no problem surfing with the smallest board inland surfer makes.

2007 VTX with wake hull

All factory ballasts

power wedge

Wedge with the needle (guage) in the 12:00 or slightly towards 1:00, ballast full on surf side and middle tank full. If you have the front tank leave it empty. Speed approx. 10mph. I used to be able to surf with three people and the surfer no problem. (and that was with the cut diamond hull). With a light load i did notice that the starboard side was a little better. Most likely from the drivers weight. Surfed on a tsunami all last summer that way.

PS you need at least 10ft. of water depth as well. If you PM me i will send you some pics. I can't figure out how to post pics here.

I've watched people surf behind X-2's with factory 4 ballasts no problem. The X-2 is a heavier boat, but the wedge will make up for that, and then some.

shouldn't be a problem. easy on the wedge, i recommend buying some 700 lb ers, don't load the opposite stern tank of the side you want to surf, and get everyone one one side. driver to port with long arms even helps ;-)

I have the VTX with Cut Diamond hull, floating wedge, and 3 tanks (no bow tank). With just the driver and spotter, we have surfed a lot. My BIL is over 200 lbs and a novice, but can still go roap-less with no problem behind that boat.

Here's a couple pix of the VTX with 6 (I think - don't remember for sure) people on board. It's no 247, but it's definately surfable.

post-135-1204578402_thumb.jpg

thanks for all the input and photos (rothwell). i want to buy a board that will be easy to surf for me, my wife and other non watersport oriented people. kind of a multi skill level easy board to ride. since I'll be the main one riding here are my specs.

5ft. 9in.

180lbs.

any board suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
thanks for all the input and photos (rothwell). i want to buy a board that will be easy to surf for me, my wife and other non watersport oriented people. kind of a multi skill level easy board to ride. since I'll be the main one riding here are my specs.

5ft. 9in.

180lbs.

any board suggestions?

I started out with a landlock but found it to be a bit large for my size. It was actually a little harder to get up on for me but I have been a watersport guy for 35 years. I ended up with a Tsunami (fits in a regular rack too)and I weigh 175#. I did end up selling my Landlock (doesn't fit anywhere, pita, on a VTX) to a friend of mine who is about 210# and he loves it.