Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX VS X15

djkoma1

This forum discusses a lot on X2 Vs VTX but very little on VLX Vs X15 which I consider to be MC's equivalent of the VLX.

There is very Little info on the X15. Has anyone tried It? I'd like to hear your thoughts on that boat... and no need to further discuss the 10 K cash rebate.

Tks

Edited by djkoma1

Just buy the VLX, you won't be disappointed. That's my .02. Have you asked the Mastercraft forum what they think about the VLX?

do a search over the last year one of our members after owning a few VLX's purchased a X-15 and gave some great comparisons.

Seems similar to me, except the 15 is a much deeper boat on the insides, plus when I was looking they were 15K+ more....

Otherwise, seems pretty comparable. Don't know about the handling, etc, but the one 15 on my lake has some good riders behind it....

X-15 is a nice boat. I actually like the interior layout of this boat. MC made the sunpad smaller to allow for more "cabin area" room. I have also heard the wake is nice without putting as much ballast vs. the X2 and ver similiar to a VLX. About the only real downside to the boat is the fact it doesn't handle as well as the VLX and does cost a solid 10K more. I would also add the Zero Flex tower's board racks are great, but is not as solid as an illusion or titan 3.

FWIW, jcbatt and I have the same issue, our "local" Malibu dealer is nearly three hours away. Our local MC dealer is a few minutes from his house and thrity from mine. I've been shoping MC just for that reason (x2). Where is your dealer support? Which dealer offers better post sale service?

The X15 is a big boat. It looks like a VLX could fit inside an X15. When you compate apples to apples, the MC is more but not 15K. I do have a hard time with MC's tower - it's a chore to take it down. The MCs have a few neat features over Malibu and their trailers are top notch! I know some people add more wieght to the X15 to beef up the wake.

DSC02684.JPG

Edited by CTSunsetter

I don't think you can go wrong either way, both are great boats, the X15 is definitely sharp. I didn't price an X15, but I have a real hard time believing there's a 15k difference between it and a VLX. 15k is more like the difference between an Xstar and a VLX where I live. I would think the difference is more like 4-8k depending on dealer. I have never ridden behind an X15 so I can't compare wake, but the posts on other sites I've seen about the X15 were all good. If you can, I'd go ride behind both.

Edited by sp0tts
I don't think you can go wrong either way, both are great boats, the X15 is definitely sharp. I didn't price an X15, but I have a real hard time believing there's a 15k difference between it and a VLX. 15k is more like the difference between an Xstar and a VLX where I live. I would think the difference is more like 4-8k depending on dealer. I have never ridden behind an X15 so I can't compare wake, but the posts on other sites I've seen about the X15 were all good. If you can, I'd go ride behind both.

The difference is 3K around here...

I didn't realize there was so much difference in size!

thanks for the PIC

DSC02684.JPG

As you can see from this pictorial real-world use, the X15 is good for sky ski and tubing; whereas the Malibu is loaded for wakeboarding and surfing. . .

:lol:

FWIW, jcbatt and I have the same issue, our "local" Malibu dealer is nearly three hours away. Our local MC dealer is a few minutes from his house and thrity from mine. I've been shoping MC just for that reason (x2). Where is your dealer support? Which dealer offers better post sale service?

The X15 is a big boat. It looks like a VLX could fit inside an X15. When you compate apples to apples, the MC is more but not 15K. I do have a hard time with MC's tower - it's a chore to take it down. The MCs have a few neat features over Malibu and their trailers are top notch! I know some people add more wieght to the X15 to beef up the wake.

DSC02684.JPG

Get an Extreme trailer and that sentiment might change. :)

Does the malibu in the pic has loaded ballast? It looks like it's sitting very low in the water and we can't see the plateforme to confirm.

Edited by djkoma1

IMHO the VLX is not comparable to the X15. The VLX is a world class wakeboard boat and the X15 is not. This is not a slam on the X15, the 2 boats are just designed for different purposes. True they are both about the same size and shape but they were designed for different customers. Go to waterskimag.com for their independent comparison. They clearly don't consider the two boats to be comparable based on performance... for that you need to look at the X-Star.

I FINALLY decided to go for the VLX. Since I wanted to try before buying, my dealer agreed to add "conditional to test drive of a 2008 VLX in april 2008" on the contract.

Apparently the St-Lawrence river defreezes around early to mid april in certain areas which is early enough for the dealer to change specs in case I don't want the boat anymore (which i doubt).

The dealer is willing to travel at least 1.5 hours for me to test drive the boat.

I hate the industrial look of the MC boats. That dash is hidious, not bad looking boats other than that. I don't like the wall to wall fiberglass look either. I like the plush feeling you get while sitting in a Malibu. Malibu boats just feel more refined to me. I do like the MC vinyl though, and they do use quality materials I just don't like what they do with them. About the tower, if you need to put a cross brace on the tower I think it's time to rethink the design... God bless Malibu.

I have been shopping both myself. When asking about surfing behind them, the Mastercraft dealer indicated he has to add an additional fat sack on one side to get sufficient wake. His favorite model of which he owns himself is the X15, so he knows it very well.

The Mastercraft quality is very hard to beat, but I like the funcationality and the adjustability of the VLX much better.

Chock one more up for the VLX!