Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding a panel for additional dash switches

vette-ski

I did a quick search, and nothing popped up. I've decided to undertake an automatic ballast system project and I know I don't have enough switches left in my dash (will need 3). What options are there out there? I definitely want a clean install that looks stock. Is there a Malibu add-on option? I know I've seen posts here and there that show a small panel on the lower right of the dash console, but usually it has a stereo remote on it. Will something like that fit in an '01, and can I get one with 3 switch cut-outs? Any help or pictures posted would be appreciated.

I saw a panel in that position the other day that was made out of Black, matt finish HDPE. That stuff is very easy to work with and machine with normal woodworking tools (saws, drils etc). They had cut the square holes out for the switches and mounted it in the Remote panel location. It looked factory.

I thought about doing something like that. And you're right, shouldn't be too difficult to DIY. Just thought I'd see if there was something cool already on the market.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bringing this back up to the top because I still haven't found anything and my local Malibu dealer says there is nothing OEM for this. That billet mount looks nice for the WS420.....I don't have any billet anywhere else in the boat, but I would consider it if there's just a switch panel out there somewhere.

it might look a little hokey, but if you look at the switches and how they are joined together, they do look good. the switches can then be snapped into any mount you wish to build.

the switches and mounting panels are pretty inexpensive at Waytek Wire, select the contura switches. If you order any, don't forget to get the plastic tool for getting the switches out of the mounting panel (i think they were .50). when i did the ballast system i used different colored wires, used their silicone filled butt connectors. Good service and decent pricing.

Edited by Cervelo
Just bringing this back up to the top because I still haven't found anything and my local Malibu dealer says there is nothing OEM for this. That billet mount looks nice for the WS420.....I don't have any billet anywhere else in the boat, but I would consider it if there's just a switch panel out there somewhere.

You could build the panel as Ronnie suggests, then take it to an upholstery shop to have it covered to match your interior. The billet mount gave me some ideas on that.

it might look a little hokey, but if you look at the switches and how they are joined together, they do look good. the switches can then be snapped into any mount you wish to build.

the switches and mounting panels are pretty inexpensive at Waytek Wire, select the contura switches. If you order any, don't forget to get the plastic tool for getting the switches out of the mounting panel (i think they were .50). when i did the ballast system i used different colored wires, used their silicone filled butt connectors. Good service and decent pricing.

Thanks for the info. I actually did find a product made by Blue Sea Systems for contura switch panels. You can get one for 3 switches, or go the modular approach and snap as many together as you want. But this is nothing more than decoration to close out the gaps around the switches (and hold them in place). I'd still need to come up with the "structure" to hold it all in place in the lower corner of the dash. I guess that's more what I'm after. If I make my own I guess all I need is a big chunck of black plastic (maybe 1/4" thick). That's what I'm looking for. I just thought I'd check here because I know I've seen many pics of these and thought for sure there was one out there I could buy (and might look nicer than I can make). Maybe the ones I've seen are all custom installs done by stereo shops.

These aren't cheap but they're Purtty...

Back in my Hot Rod days we used to build panels and paint them with Black Wrinkle Paint. It looked good and was very durable. I'm not sure if you can still buy it but it's something different that looks good.

My son has a laser engraver that we made some switch panels for his helicopter with. We just drew out the panel on the computer. The laser cut the holes and labeled each switch. It turned out really nice.

I have been thinking of doing something along the same lines, but I am looking to get rid of the round "twist" switches and upgrading to the carling switches. I have used Front Panel Express (www.frontpanelexpress.com) through work to get some plates made and have been very happy. You have to download there software which is a design program, draw a plate and layout the holes for your switches and even etch labels on them. Email them the file and they cut it and ship it. All you have to do its stuff it wiht the switches. Real impressed with the quality.