Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do you like your 2007 247 LSV - 8.1 450HP

ddeluca

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some sound advice and appreciate everyone steering me in the right direction. This will be my first Malibu. I own a 1985 Century Resorter for the past 15 years and it's been good to me.

I.m now in the market buy a used 247 LSV with a 8.1 450 hp from the TN Factory (it does not have a lot of options) and I wanted to hear what others are saying about their same boat and would you buy the boat again or would you go for a 2008? I have a family of 4 with additional 4+ friends coming out with us all the time.

1. What do you like about the boat in handling, instruments, contruction,mechanical.

2. How is parking the 247 into the dock and backing up?

3. What are some warrantee issues you had to deal with? Advise?

4. Would you change your prop from the 13 1/2 X 16 to a 14 1/4 X 14 1/2 for less vibration? I also the heard the holeshot from 0mph is awesome.

5. Would you change anything?

6. If I need some options added...If you had $3K what options would be the best to add? Board Racks, Heater, Shower H/C, Tower Speakers + Amp, Sub + Amp, Lights, Bimini?

7. What are good amp and Tower speakers to buy. I heard WetSounds are awesome...

8. What are good Board Racks? I heard Titan swivel are functionally great.

9. Is filling the ballast full all around 4 tanks the best wake to have or using the wedge?

10. When using the wedge do we have to lift it out if some one falls and we come around to pull the waker again?

Feel free to answer a couple and list the # with your input or give your opinion on your 247 LSV.

Thanks again,

Dave

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some sound advice and appreciate everyone steering me in the right direction. This will be my first Malibu. I own a 1985 Century Resorter for the past 15 years and it's been good to me.

I.m now in the market buy a used 247 LSV with a 8.1 450 hp from the TN Factory (it does not have a lot of options) and I wanted to hear what others are saying about their same boat and would you buy the boat again or would you go for a 2008? I have a family of 4 with additional 4+ friends coming out with us all the time.

1. What do you like about the boat in handling, instruments, contruction,mechanical.

4. Would you change your prop from the 13 1/2 X 16 to a 14 1/4 X 14 1/2 for less vibration? I also the heard the holeshot from 0mph is awesome.

6. If I need some options added...If you had $3K what options would be the best to add? Board Racks, Heater, Shower H/C, Tower Speakers + Amp, Sub + Amp, Lights, Bimini?

7. What are good amp and Tower speakers to buy. I heard WetSounds are awesome...

9. Is filling the ballast full all around 4 tanks the best wake to have or using the wedge?

10. When using the wedge do we have to lift it out if some one falls and we come around to pull the waker again?

Feel free to answer a couple and list the # with your input or give your opinion on your 247 LSV.

Thanks again,

Dave

Drool

Dave

The 247 is a very big boat to handle around a dock. I would take a 27' IO anyday over this in terms of docking.

Inboard boats don't really back up so well, they pull to the right.

As with any boat you should test drive it and maybe a 23 LSV to compare.

-Chris

Hi everyone,

Thanks again,

Dave

I am on a 247 almost as much as my VLX, so I will comment.

1. The same as any BU, love it

3. Just requires a slight more room when docking, do not notice when backing up.

5. Not offhand

6. Board Racks, Bimini, Stereo

7. NVS rocks, Wetsounds are nice, but NVS is the top. I like PPI and Zapco.

8. I like the Metcraft Swivel

9. Combination of people, full ballast, and wedge for some. It is all about wake shape, size preference.

10. Power Wedge only way to go.

Enjoy, awesome ride

Thanks again,

Dave

You can have both ballast and the wedge at the same time.

-Chris

I have the 8.1 in my 23 LSV and made the prop swap you are asking about:

I bought my OJ 14.25 X 14.5 during DGoose's group buy (Thank you again for making easy to spend my money) and could not be happier. That OJ prop will give you a hole shot you can't believe and it didn't take away from the top end either. The guys at OJ are great to deal with and they will take the prop back if you don't like it. Trust me you will not be sending it back.

On your second point, I didn't notice any vibration on either prop.

-Dave

The 247 is sweet, but for only 8 people on average the 23 LSV would also be a good choice.

#6 You need to find which ones are most important to you. The stereo is cool but it’s easy to wrap up 3k in just that. Board racks are necessary so start there imho. Shower is great if you plan on washing up while on a houseboat or dry camping or cold winter runs. Lights are cool but the least practical imho when you’ve got a budget and the other items such as board racks are needed.

#7 You get a lot of opinions on this between Bullets, NVS, and Wet Sounds. Listen to each and determine for yourself. Of course the style and design characteristics is also personal choice.

#8I’d get Titan Spinners sweet racks and superior craftsmanship.

#9 Most people I know prefer the full ballast and wedge down, others may prefer the wake w/o the wedge.

#10 No need to raise the wedge when picking up a rider. I’d recommend raising the wedge if you’re going to look for better water and I do leave the ballast full unless it’s a long distance.

The 247 is sweet, but for only 8 people on average the 23 LSV would also be a good choice.

#6 You need to find which ones are most important to you. The stereo is cool but it’s easy to wrap up 3k in just that. Board racks are necessary so start there imho. Shower is great if you plan on washing up while on a houseboat or dry camping or cold winter runs. Lights are cool but the least practical imho when you’ve got a budget and the other items such as board racks are needed.

#7 You get a lot of opinions on this between Bullets, NVS, and Wet Sounds. Listen to each and determine for yourself. Of course the style and design characteristics is also personal choice.

#9 Most people I know prefer the full ballast and wedge down, others may prefer the wake w/o the wedge.

#10 No need to raise the wedge when picking up a rider. I’d recommend raising the wedge if you’re going to look for better water and I do leave the ballast full unless it’s a long distance.

Thank you for you Honest Opinion. It helps greatly.

Titan Spinners just came out with the second version of there racks. What is the difference and is it worth getting the new ones or buying at a deal the old ones used?

I bought my OJ 14.25 X 14.5 during DGoose's group buy (Thank you again for making easy to spend my money) and could not be happier. That OJ prop will give you a hole shot you can't believe and it didn't take away from the top end either. The guys at OJ are great to deal with and they will take the prop back if you don't like it. Trust me you will not be sending it back.

-Dave

What is you WOT speed now?

The vibration, from what I read, is from going fast straight and then taking a tight turn. The taller prop rides closer to the hull, thus it has some cavitation or vibration feeling in the steering or hull. may not be really a concern at this point.

I will definitely look into that prop. Do you think it will work as good on the 2007 247 LSV??

Hi everyone,

Thanks again,

Dave

I am on a 247 almost as much as my VLX, so I will comment.

1. The same as any BU, love it

3. Just requires a slight more room when docking, do not notice when backing up.

5. Not offhand

6. Board Racks, Bimini, Stereo

7. NVS rocks, Wetsounds are nice, but NVS is the top. I like PPI and Zapco.

8. I like the Metcraft Swivel

9. Combination of people, full ballast, and wedge for some. It is all about wake shape, size preference.

10. Power Wedge only way to go.

Enjoy, awesome ride

Thank you for your input.. Where would I get a look at the NVS speakers? Where is good place to buy them ? GB anywere?

As for the Metcraft Swivel and Titan Swivel is there any difference and do both have the Malibu insigna on them?

Thank you for your input.. Where would I get a look at the NVS speakers? Where is good place to buy them ? GB anywere?

As for the Metcraft Swivel and Titan Swivel is there any difference and do both have the Malibu insigna on them?

I got my NVS direct from NVS, Duane is great guy. http://www.nvs1.net/index.html

I got my NVS direct from NVS, Duane is great guy. http://www.nvs1.net/index.html

Which ones did you get ? any pics? I have an Illusion x tower. Would these bolt on to the tower flat side or will I have to use the round pole to mount these?

Thanks,

Dave

Which ones did you get ? any pics? I have an Illusion x tower. Would these bolt on to the tower flat side or will I have to use the round pole to mount these?

Thanks,

Dave

I had them on my 05 VLX.

nvscrop.jpg

nvs1crop.jpg

Edited by auto

Thanks,

Dave

I had them on my 05 VLX.

nvscrop.jpg

nvs1crop.jpg

Holy Cow.. They are huge. What size are they and model #. They look like 10" speakers.

I see that PolkAudio makes them.. What does NVS stand for.

Do disconnect them to deter them from being stolen?

Options: Depends on your climate.

Board racks, with swivel! wish I had it. Maybe get one set for wakeboards, another hybrid that can handle wakesurfers. The heater is AWESOME for warming up under a towel. Shower is ok, really only good for the early part of the season or late. 4 tower lights, 2 rear 2 forward are helpful, and good for wakesurfing at dusk (safe?). docking lights are useless. Speakers are a lot of fun, but can get expensive quick. IMO don't annoy your neighbors either with too many powerful tower speakers either.

i'd also buy 3 x 700 lb ballast bags. the bigger the boat, the more weight needed to sink it.

-Dave

What is you WOT speed now?

The vibration, from what I read, is from going fast straight and then taking a tight turn. The taller prop rides closer to the hull, thus it has some cavitation or vibration feeling in the steering or hull. may not be really a concern at this point.

I will definitely look into that prop. Do you think it will work as good on the 2007 247 LSV??

With an empty boat and only a couple of peope 50-51mph on my GPS., so I do think is will work equally well on your rig. If you call OJ ask for Eric, he is the one that put me on to this prop.

I am not having any issues with vibration.

-Dave

Titan Spinners just came out with the second version of there racks. What is the difference and is it worth getting the new ones or buying at a deal the old ones used?

I believe that Titan now makes a version for the bottom & top of the Illusion tower with their spinners, so you can get 4 racks on the tower instead of just 2 as they had it set up before (someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that one). And I agree with Malibudude, nobody out there is currently doing the spinner with the overall attention to detail & fit/finish that Titan is doing.

Options....since you're in the north I'd go with as many heat options as possible - shower, heater & heated driver's seat. Then go with board racks, with that crew you'll need 4. If it were me, I'd do all of that with the $3k budget (which should cover it), then worry about the stereo later.

#6 You need to find which ones are most important to you. The stereo is cool but it's easy to wrap up 3k in just that. Board racks are necessary so start there imho. Shower is great if you plan on washing up while on a houseboat or dry camping or cold winter runs. Lights are cool but the least practical imho when you've got a budget and the other items such as board racks are needed.

#8I'd get Titan Spinners sweet racks and superior craftsmanship.

#10 No need to raise the wedge when picking up a rider. I'd recommend raising the wedge if you're going to look for better water and I do leave the ballast full unless it's a long distance.

I've got the Metcraft racks and while they work well, the crafsmanship isn't up to Titan's period. If cost wasn't an issue I'd get the Titan's but the Metcraft's work just fine, and then use the extra $$ elsewhere.