Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Boat Quality, Contruction, Warranty

ddeluca

I am on the market for a used big day boat like a 2007 Malibu 247 LSV and was wondering if anyone knows of any quality issues with Malibu boats since the Venture Capitalists bought out the Malibu Boats Company in 2007.

Looking for some good advice and contruction differences compared to Master Craft and Nautique bigger boats 22 -24 footers.

Thank you

Dave

As far as I can tell owning an '06 and an '08, there is no discernable quality difference. As far as I know, Malibu still runs Malibu always has... Top quality boats, award winning innovations...

the only thing that changed from 2006-2007 was internally things are a tighter ship in the accounting department.

Otherwise nothing is different

Quality wise vs. the other two I think Malibu does almost everything the same or even a bit better.

Go get a guided factory tour. It's pretty hands on

in the 23-24' market nothing can hold a performance candle to the 23/247 period. Plus we're more spacious, and well laid out

the only thing that changed from 2006-2007 was internally things are a tighter ship in the accounting department.

Quality wise vs. the other two I think Malibu does almost everything the same or even a bit better.

in the 23-24' market nothing can hold a performance candle to the 23/247 period. Plus we're more spacious, and well laid out

I just want to thank you all for your input.

I am flying down to the TN plan March 7th to test drive a boat and do a plant tour.

Quality, Performance, and Reliability are very important.

Question: Why did Malibu come in #3 behind Nautique and MasterCrafy in the JDPowers Ratings this year?

Do they know something that we do not?

regards,

Dave

...Question: Why did Malibu come in #3 behind Nautique and MasterCrafy in the JDPowers Ratings this year?...

Honestly? I believe that when a CC or MC owner gets their survey they are so "enthusiastic" about the whole "my brand is best" thing they aren't willing to admit the small faults that most boats come with. Their boat is "perfect" in every regard and well worth the extra money that it costs over the competition. I ski with a couple of guys like that.

My little sporty has just as good a slalom wake as the CC in our group, I paid about half what he did. I have literally had no problems, his has been back to the dealer several times...yet to talk with him, he would tell you that he has never had an ounce of trouble from his boat. :Doh: He's not honest with himself, why would he be honest with anyone else?

Edited by NorCaliBu

I can't really imagine the venture captialist would have any effect on construction at this point. That wouldn't happen unless they become unhappy with the bottom line of the company.

I've turned wrenches on all three brands. Shoot me a PM if there's anything specific you want to know.

#1 JD power is a scam. Malibu didn't sign up (Pay $30,000) this year to be polled, JD power still looks a Malibu to make the catergory look bigger, so they only sent out 100 questionairres to Malibu owners, smaller pool = a bad response has more weight.

#2 If you don't believe me, look at the "quality" category, We beat Mastercraft in that test

Edited by edgeski1

That is interesting edgeski1. After looking at the rankings, it looked like to me something fishy was going on. By the star count, it looked like Malibu should have been given at least the same overall stars as Mastercraft and certainly not two less.

I can't really imagine the venture captialist would have any effect on construction at this point. That wouldn't happen unless they become unhappy with the bottom line of the company.

Venture capitalist are never happy with the bottom line, and these people (i'm betting) will eventually ruin Malibu boats. It will take a few years. Can you say AMF Harley Davidson?

I just want to thank you all for your input.

I am flying down to the TN plan March 7th to test drive a boat and do a plant tour.

Quality, Performance, and Reliability are very important.

Question: Why did Malibu come in #3 behind Nautique and MasterCrafy in the JDPowers Ratings this year?

Do they know something that we do not?

regards,

Dave

How did you manage to get:

1- factory tour in march (i'm being told it's impossible until may)

2- Get a test drive... being told to talk to my local dealership (prensently under 200 feet of snow)

I've been trying to get that from Malibu form the last 3-4 weeks!

Edited by djkoma1

Getting a factory tour is easy, just ring the factory and set it up. Now if I recall correctly, you had been wanting to go to the factory to test drive all the boats, correct? That's not the same as a factory tour.

For what it's worth, I scheduled my tour in TN in conjunction with the building of my boat. I happened to be in CA for business and had some free time. I rang the factory and was touring in 2 hours later.

Getting a factory tour is easy, just ring the factory and set it up. Now if I recall correctly, you had been wanting to go to the factory to test drive all the boats, correct? That's not the same as a factory tour.

For what it's worth, I scheduled my tour in TN in conjunction with the building of my boat. I happened to be in CA for business and had some free time. I rang the factory and was touring in 2 hours later.

I am confirmed for the TN Factory Tour March 7th. My boat I am test driving is a 2007 247 LSV with 100 hours on the boat and Zero hours on the new engine. My local dealer found this boat on the factory inventory a month ago.

This boat was a factory trade up when a customer had 2 or 3 engine problems. Malibu swapped the boat and want to move it off their lot.

Indmar replaced the bad motor to the same "base engine" - 8.1 450 hp. I should be getting an entire new warrantee like a new boat. The boat, I am told is immaculate with no scratches or rips or tears.

What are your thoughts on buying this 2007 boat (from my local dealer off the factory) for a really good price or paying appox. $18K more for a 2008 model with similar options?

This is a really good deal especially when I can break the new engine in myself.

The options that are missing are no shower, heater, heated seat, no options at all on the illusion x tower. the trailer is also with the deal. I am getting approx 31% off MSRP.

My local dealer set up the tour for me.

That is interesting edgeski1. After looking at the rankings, it looked like to me something fishy was going on. By the star count, it looked like Malibu should have been given at least the same overall stars as Mastercraft and certainly not two less.

I looked into this more and Nautique and Mastercraft tied for 1st right. Malibu for 3rd place.

The total points for perfection was 1000. Nautique and MC had a total of 900 points. Malibu was 884. Talk about a close 3rd.. 16 points?

Also see the link - some interesting readting list 68% of new boat owners in this class brought their boat in for work at the dealer.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/rele...aspx?ID=2008020

JDPowersWakeboats2008.doc

Venture capitalist are never happy with the bottom line, and these people (i'm betting) will eventually ruin Malibu boats. It will take a few years. Can you say AMF Harley Davidson?

I really don't see this as happening! I had the pleasure of sitting down with Phil Estes for about 2 and a half hours at the Dallas Boat show about two weeks ago. He was a great guy and VERY interested in the public's view of Malibu. He was very open to suggestions from me as a Malibu owner (and future owner of a new VLX, hopefully soon), and a past employee at a Malibu dealer. He actually has a 247 himself. I never got the impression he wants to change things all that much, if at any from a manufacturing stand point. As we chatted, he listened, and actually took notes of what I thought worked and didn't work with the boats. He did the same with other people I saw him talk to. I think Malibu will continue to care about doing things the right way!

I think often times private equity and venture capital gets a bad wrap! Malibu is a profitable company to begin with. That is why they were purchased. Many people have the perception that VC go into every company they purchase and just start hacking things up. There are many many many P/E and VC deals that do not happen like this. From my conversations with Phil, this seems to be one of those deals. I talked pretty in depth with Phil because of my interest in P.E. I just finished my MBA in finance and I've been interviewing with P/E and VC companies. I think this deal is far different from the AMF/Harley deal. Harley sucked before the purchase and got worse from there. Malibu is profitable company and has been doing a lot of good and will continue to do good. PE bought the future growth and future cash flows. I don't think it is their intension to re-invent the wheel.

J

Edited by justhrowit
  • Like 1

Great post ddeluca. With the points that close, how does that equate to the 5 star overall ranking of CC and Mastercraft and the 3 stars for the Malibu's? Proves to me that this is completely a money based ranking.

CC and Mastercraft basically bought the ranking ....... so that ranking proves nothing other than you can have a soso product and buy yourself a 5 star rating.

Great post ddeluca. With the points that close, how does that equate to the 5 star overall ranking of CC and Mastercraft and the 3 stars for the Malibu's? Proves to me that this is completely a money based ranking.

I am confirmed for the TN Factory Tour March 7th. My boat I am test driving is a 2007 247 LSV with 100 hours on the boat and Zero hours on the new engine. My local dealer found this boat on the factory inventory a month ago.

This boat was a factory trade up when a customer had 2 or 3 engine problems. Malibu swapped the boat and want to move it off their lot.

Indmar replaced the bad motor to the same "base engine" - 8.1 450 hp. I should be getting an entire new warrantee like a new boat. The boat, I am told is immaculate with no scratches or rips or tears.

What are your thoughts on buying this 2007 boat (from my local dealer off the factory) for a really good price or paying appox. $18K more for a 2008 model with similar options?

This is a really good deal especially when I can break the new engine in myself.

The options that are missing are no shower, heater, heated seat, no options at all on the illusion x tower. the trailer is also with the deal. I am getting approx 31% off MSRP.

My local dealer set up the tour for me.

That sounds like close to a deal too good to pass up. Heater and shower should be easy enough and not too expensive to have added, heated seat also, not sure what that would ring upto, would be interesting to know if anyone has had an upholstery shop upgrade a seat to heated. New boats all options on tower, so no difference there. 18k buys alot of goodies.

• 5 years later...

Incorrect, it is.

2012 Malibu Owner's Manual

Page 165 (or page W3 if looking directly at the paper manual):

"This Malibu Boats Limited Warranty does not provide coverage to any

boat purchased from a dealer in another country, where the primary use of the boat will

require the boat to cross an international border."

Well I know lots of guys that buy used boats and still get warranty. I think it would be pretty weak if Malibu enforced this BS policy you found. Guess we just got good dealers up here in Canada that look after their customers.

2012 Malibu Owner's Manual

Page 165 (or page W3 if looking directly at the paper manual):

"This Malibu Boats Limited Warranty does not provide coverage to any

boat purchased from a dealer in another country, where the primary use of the boat will

require the boat to cross an international border."

Is this geared at new boats only perhaps?

warranty is available in Canada for sure. the wording Nitrousbird supplied very clearly states "from a dealer". I too know lots of people who have bought in the USA and got warranty up here.

Not to start this discussion all over again but it is likely the dealer where your buyer will want to get warranty work done (after the transfer of same) will charge a fee to register with that dealer (can be around ~$1,000).