Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wedge ?

deltadisplaced

What is the oldest malibu you can put the wedge on and why?

what restrictions keep it from being put on something older?

The Wedge was introduced in 1998 so before that the transom area may not have been built up as much to handle the weight of a Wedge hanging off the back of the boat while on the trailer or while plowing through the water. I would not recommend installing one on a 1998 or older because no official testing was ever done. Also, you have to have at least an 11" gap between the exhaust to install it.

I have a 1989 sunsetter and was wondering if anyone had ever tried to put one on a boat similar to mine.

I know that there is probably a good reason why they don't offer one for my boat but the engineer in me wants to know why.

Like does it not fit? Will it not work with the hull? Is my boat considered weaker and if so what if i added backing plates?

If there is a good reason i will definately accept it but nobody has given a reason why it couldn't work other than implying that they have to be put on all fiberglass boats.

I have a 1989 sunsetter and was wondering if anyone had ever tried to put one on a boat similar to mine.

I know that there is probably a good reason why they don't offer one for my boat but the engineer in me wants to know why.

Like does it not fit? Will it not work with the hull? Is my boat considered weaker and if so what if i added backing plates?

If there is a good reason i will definately accept it but nobody has given a reason why it couldn't work other than implying that they have to be put on all fiberglass boats.

There are a couple factors that I found when I asked the question about my '88 Sunsetter a few years back:

1. The exhaust outlets in the transom are too close together to accept the Wedge bracket.

2. The angle of the transom results in the Wedge being at the wrong angle of attack relative to the hull.

3. The transom is not designed to support the added vertical load applied by the Wedge (although with structural reinforcement, this may be resolved).

4. You may have difficulty getting a Wedge assembly for a HIN which Malibu does not certify the Wedge for.