Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Infant on Boat? Best practices?

chrisallenhogs

We ended up selling our sportster lx when my wife got pregnant. Didn't ride at all last year. Daughter will be 8 months march 2nd. Hopefully she will like the lake.

Anyone out there take the infant to the lake? What are some of the things you can do to make life a little easier for them and you?

Well, first off I guess congratulations are in order.

My children are now 3 and 1 years old. Both of my kids have been boating since they were about 3 months old. It's definitely not easy boating with kids that young, especially infants, but here's what we did with our kids.

1. plenty of pre-made bottles

2. plenty of baby food

3. plenty of diapers/wipes

4. extra change of clothes/bathing suit

5. bouncy seat with pull up shade. this was a must for us. We'd put the bouncy seat in the walk thru on the floor. She'd sleep while we skied and most of the other times while we were on the boat.

6. extra extra sunblock

7. bimini always in use.

8. extra towels. these will come in handy to stretch out over the windshield and hang from the tower/bmini for blocking the sun.

Boating with an infant brings new meaning to the word "teamwork" both parents must be extra careful and willing to share the duties or it will not be a fun experience for the one doing all the work and you'll not get the water time you're looking for.

Unless you have someone with you (in addition to the driver), you will not be hitting double ups or skiing in rough water. Other than that, it's no problem. My kids love the lake and boating. Getting on our boat for my 3 year old is as common as bath time. Once you get them out of diapers and comfortable with that life jacket on all day, you've pretty much got it whipped and are assured a lifetime of good times.

Enjoy the baby!

Malibusteve

Looks like 'BuSteve covered it pretty well. Some of it depends on how long you're planning on being out on the water.

Our son - who just turned 3, was out for the first time at 4 months and has been going ever since. We have modified our boating schedule a little to have cover/housing for mid afternoon & nap time, but that's not always necessary. It was for us as we had an insomniac and everyone would suffer for a day or so if he didn't get a decent nap.

Extra adults/teenagers is pretty much a necessity for everyone to enjoy themselves. That allows you to take turns during the fussy times.

We used one of the portable car seats/carriers. We would put his life vest on him & set him back in the seat. We owned an I/O at the time, so the seating configuration allowed it to fit easily.

He loves going out on the boat now & had a blast seeing all the new boats at the boat show with me this year. We've averaged about 50 hours/year since he's been born and I hope that goes up.

OH - and CONGRATULATIONS! Thumbup.gif

Edited by weinrdog

Great tips! My first is turning 6 months next week. I just started putting an infant jacket on him for short screaming periods at the house to get him used to it for the spring. I figured I'd rather get him used to the jacket now, rather than waiting for the actual boat ride.

Baby.gif

Edited by jjackkrash

MalibuSteve hit all the major points -

The most important thing, IMO, is to get them used to wearing a life jacket as soon as possible. I think most of them have big issues with that big bulky thing. My husband's sister in law had our nephe on our boat several times when he was a baby & she always pulled the whiny voice "but he's so uncomfortablllleee.." And then she would either take the thing off, leave one arm in (wth good is that?!) or just leave the whole thing unzipped/unsnapped, etc. Of course, he quickly learned that if he cried, she'd take it off, and at 2.5 years old, he hates the thing.

We have 5 kids from 4-9 and they all are on the boat all summer. The last one was initially a pain in the butt & had a hard time getting used to the life jacket thing. But we left it on & after the 1st couple of times of being fussy & then falling asleep, she was fine. Then she started crawling herself up under the bow cushions to sleep. Honestly, I think it's easier to get them used to boating if it's just something that's always been there.

If it's just you & the wife alone with the baby, things may get a little hard initially, but you'll get it figured out. Don't just assume you won't get out on the lake, or you won't. You can do it, get the baby used to being outside & wearing that life jacket. :)

Both of my daughters always fell asleep when the boat was in motion. Of course someone was holding them as they were 6 weeks and 6 months old when we vacationed with each of them their first time. Now they are my drivers and started that task when they were 12. They are on the base of that pyramid in my avitar. Makes a skiing dad proud. [edit] They are both in college now.

Edited by electricjohn

I like the idea of them wearing it around the house, never thought of that, but sounds like a great idea. My 8 month old is going to hate me now, going for a stroller ride in Feb. with a life jacket on. The nieghbors will probably think I'm nuts until summer comes around and they are jealous that the little one loves going to the lake as much as his parents. How young is to you to surf??? Innocent.gifBostonChristmasPix002.jpg

Edited by malik

I think everybody has hit on the major points. We have a two year old and this will be his third summer on the water. I never thought of having my son wear his life jacket in the house. That's a great idea.

With a little team work and honoring your childs nap schedule everyone should have a great day on the water.

Congrats on the little one.

We have had 4 kids grow up with our boats. As soon as the weather is nice and/or they were big enough to be in a life vest we were boating. It is just part of growing up. Stuff'm in the life vest, lay them in the car seat, fire up the engine and go for a cruise, within 30 seconds they were happy or asleep. After the first time it was routine for all.

When you want to have some adult water sports it is wise to bring another couple. It just makes your spouses time behind the boat more comfortable. They will not get back on the boat and ask were you watching the kid.....you were driving, looking ahead, to the sides, watching them, keeping everything safe.....whoops got to check the kid, what was that I just thought I saw in the water ahead......it is just easier with more eyes.

Steve's covered it. My little master destroyer sleeps better in the boat while it's on plane w/ the music on better than any other time including sleeping at night... :) Make sure to keep reapplying the sunscreen and use a uv suit that covers the body.

I keep hearing stories of people who sold their boat when a baby came along. Makes me sad...

We have a 2yr old and 4 month old.

Bought the boat when wife was 7 mo preg with the first.

1st was on the boat at 9 days, 2nd was on at 10 days I think.

We now have about 250hrs on the boat.

I know I'll probably get a lot of flak for this.... but it is pretty hard to find a life jacket that fits an infant.

For the newborns, we strap them in the carseat - (that floats) and catch some sets. As soon as they fit into a life jacket - on it goes....

I keep hearing stories of people who sold their boat when a baby came along. Makes me sad...

We have a 2yr old and 4 month old.

Bought the boat when wife was 7 mo preg with the first.

1st was on the boat at 9 days, 2nd was on at 10 days I think.

We now have about 250hrs on the boat.

I know I'll probably get a lot of flak for this.... but it is pretty hard to find a life jacket that fits an infant.

For the newborns, we strap them in the carseat - (that floats) and catch some sets. As soon as they fit into a life jacket - on it goes....

You should catch some flack for no infant jacket. Fingerwag.gif

That said, I bought our boat when my wife was 6 months pregnant after being without for over ten years--the CFO wasn't happy at first when I brought the idea up, but rational discussion (and other concessions) turned her around. I don't pretend to know much about being a Dad, but I know for a fact that my boy is going to grow up on the water.

Cheers.gif

By the time my oldest was born we were on our second boat, an out board run about. Oldest was born in March and we were on the water by the end of May. My daughter was born in July and first boat ride was first week in August.

We used infant life jackets and car seats. Both kids fell asleep almost imediatly. As has been said, sunblock, shade, extra bottles and baby supplies. We also brought along one or two of the neighbor hood teenagers, they were a big help and always glad to go along and help with the baby in exchange for some ski or toobing time.

Son is now 18, daughter is 15 1/2. The started skiing at 4 and 5 and never looked back.

We average about 100 hrs / year on our boat plus another 100 to 150 hrs / year with the club.

Edited by walnuthill

Try Overtons for an infant swimsiut with flotation built in. IIRC they are not USCG approved. But we never found anything better than that for an infant.

After the car seat, (and she could sit up by herself) I made a couple of 3 point seat belts for Caitlin in our boat out of fastex from REI. (crotch strap and a belt) I attached them to the under side of the solid backed seats (next to driver and the rear seat ) with screws on the bottom side. It was mostly to keep the little wiggle-worm in place while under way...

Sun screen

lots of bottles/water

bimini up

they'll sleep like...well... a baby.

Good luck!

Patrick

Too bad they didn't have towers when my kids were growing up. They lived for the jolly jumper. To them life jackets were something that was worn when ever around water. Now I have 2 lifeguards and one tow tug skipper. They all like the water.

Best advice on the life jacket is wear it. It saves lives.

And yes they always fell asleep on the boat no matter how rough or noisy.

I like the idea of them wearing it around the house, never thought of that, but sounds like a great idea. My 8 month old is going to hate me now, going for a stroller ride in Feb. with a life jacket on. The nieghbors will probably think I'm nuts until summer comes around and they are jealous that the little one loves going to the lake as much as his parents. How young is to you to surf??? Innocent.gifBostonChristmasPix002.jpg

Trent,

Thats a great picture of Boston!! I have a feeling he'll be floating on the surfboard when we're parked during Memorial Day. I can't wait to see him again. Have a great day!!

Jamie

Try Overtons for an infant swimsiut with flotation built in. IIRC they are not USCG approved. But we never found anything better than that for an infant.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/de...1009&r=view

Is this what you are talking about? Has anyone tried this? If they work I will for sure be getting one.

That style of infant vest is definitely the way to go. We have both that style of vest, and the traditional "zip in the middle of the chest" style vests and the "bungee-rear" style is always more effective with the under 18-month-olds. It doesn't ride up under their chin as much, and just seems to allow them a little better freedom of movement. It is available at both Overton's, which was already linked and at Bart's:

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=42327

I whole-heartedly agree with the suggestion to get the babies wearing the life vests at home to get them used to it as well. Enjoy, and don't ever sell your boat because of a baby- there is no better family activity than boating. It gets your family captive together with no choice but to interact with each other and be physically active.

I got my kids to wear a life jacket by take them to the YMCA pool. One is 4 and the other is 2 years old. They didn't like them at first, but I always told them that Dora the Explorer always wears a life jacket around water. Now they don't mind wearing them. So hopefully I'm set when I finally get a boat, for the mean time I'm teaching them to swim.

Another tip is if you as an adult wears one while in the boat, you will set an example for the kids. See Mommy and Daddy wears one.

Can't you just throw the kids into a barefoot suit, tie em to a rope and HIT IT!!!!!!!!! Just kidding of course.

My sister used those vests from Barts/Overton's for her kids. She swore by them.

J