Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Single or double axle trailer...

1FootDan

Single or double axle trailer... pro and cons  

345 members have voted

1. 1. If money was no object and weight not being an issue, what type of trailer would you buy?

• Single axle (with brakes)
    • Double Axle (withbrakes)
  2. 2. What experience do you have with trailers?

• Have had both single and double, I prefer single
    • Have had both single and double, I prefer double
    • I have had just single, I wish I had a double
    • I have had just double, I wish I had a single
    • I have had just single, I see no interest in going double
    • I have had just double, I see no interest in going single
    • I have never had a trailer, but I would buy a single
    • I have never had a trailer, but I would buy a double
    • What's a trailer?
  3. 3. Taking money (price/value) in consideration, but not weight of boat, what type of trailer would you buy?

• Single axle (with brakes)
    • Single axle (with brakes and spare)
    • Double axle (no brakes, no spare)
    • Double axle (with brakes, no spare)
    • Double axle (with brakes and spare)
    • Single axle (no brakes, no spare)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1FootDan

• mibarefooter

• BlastRlxi

• Bobby Light

We have a sinlge under the Skier and a tandom under the VLX. The Skier is only on the trailer in the winter for storage. The VLX gets pulled out of the lake and towed about 300 miles every few weekends in the summer. I would never dream of pulling those miles on a single axel if not for the sheer fact alone of a possible flat.

Both are hand pushed into different garages for storage and the single pushes way easier (the Skier weighs a lot less also).

Other than what most everyone else has mentioned, my personal opinion is singles are just plain ugly under a ski boat and truly hideous under a wakeboard boat.

a lot depends on the size of the boat and the size of the tow vehicle. Using a ranger/s10 or a small SUV that is maxed out by your boat? That extra axle will be a life saver when you are sitting next to a semi. Using a 3/4 or 1 ton? I don't even notice my boat behind the truck. If I only pulled it with the truck and I wasn't planning on reselling at somepoint I might have gone single. Also if I lived in a state where boat lifts were common place I might have considered it. But I planned on a 1/2 ton SUV pulling it and I knew resale would suck if on a single.

I've had blow outs with both singles and duals. My worst blowout was on a tandem. Both back tires blew and it fishtailed into both lanes next to me because there was no tung weight. Even if you loose both tires on a single the balance wouldn't change. The only blowout advantage is that you can limp along on duals, but I'd rather be prepared to deal with a flat where it happens.

Like most, if I trailered regularly or any real distance I'd be thinking about the tandem. But with an RLXi towed a couple times a year? Not worth it. And I'm certainly not going to buy a tandem for looks--not too many people can see it sitting in the storage shed.

Both back tires blew and it fishtailed into both lanes next to me because there was no tung weight. Even if you loose both tires on a single the balance wouldn't change. The only blowout advantage is that you can limp along on duals, but I'd rather be prepared to deal with a flat where it happens.

How do you have a blowout on both rear tires? What are the odds on that... sometihng wrong witht the trailer alignment? I've never even had 1 blow out, and you had two tires blow out at the same time? Dontknow.gif

Both back tires blew and it fishtailed into both lanes next to me because there was no tung weight. Even if you loose both tires on a single the balance wouldn't change. The only blowout advantage is that you can limp along on duals, but I'd rather be prepared to deal with a flat where it happens.

How do you have a blowout on both rear tires? What are the odds on that... sometihng wrong witht the trailer alignment? I've never even had 1 blow out, and you had two tires blow out at the same time? Dontknow.gif

One blew out, caused minor sway and an overheat of the other one. It was a rare event I admit. Says a lot for a heavy TV. 10000 lbs trailer, it was going sideways taking up 3 lanes as it swayed. My truck barely felt it and I never lost control. slowed and hit the electric brake switch and it was under control. Has all new tires and higher rated ones at that. Before it's asked, speed was 55, tires were all within ratings, just close to max. Something took it over the edge and caused the failure.

We have towed our boat all over Alberta and BC for the past 6 years and had no issues with the single axle until one trip to Idaho last summer. Broke a spring, later in the trip we blew the boat engine and on the way back from picking up the dead boat we blew a tire on the single axle behind the Motorhome. Great trip, hence the new VTX. Going up in boat size and weight there is no way I would own a tournament/wakeboard boat without the tandem.

Funny... I posted about getting a flat the other day, and today I got a flat. The tire is destroyed, but the wheel is fine and the tandem picked up the slack.

Double all the way, more stable when towing Thumbup.gif

I've had to make an "emergency" lane change towing a MC 190 on a single axle trailer, and once with my old Echelon on a tandem. The Echelon was a heavier boat than the MC. Let me tell you that I will never own a single axle trailer for anything that heavy. The sway from the single verses the sway of the tandem was huge. The tandem just follows the truck.

When I was looking at used boats, if they were on a single, I wouldn't even consider them unless they were such a great deal that I could replace the trailer.

Double all the way, more stable when towing Thumbup.gif

I've had to make an "emergency" lane change towing a MC 190 on a single axle trailer, and once with my old Echelon on a tandem. The Echelon was a heavier boat than the MC. Let me tell you that I will never own a single axle trailer for anything that heavy. The sway from the single verses the sway of the tandem was huge. The tandem just follows the truck.

When I was looking at used boats, if they were on a single, I wouldn't even consider them unless they were such a great deal that I could replace the trailer.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I started sking behind a CC and it was my bestfriends, we towed it about 30 miles to the lake and talk about unstable. If the boat was not on the trailer perfect it was even worse, wouldn't own a single axle unless I was towing from the dock to my house (less than a mile) and no freeways :)

If your doing alot of long trips with a heavy boat, go double. If your doing alot of long trips with a light boat, go single.

• 1 month later...

I towed with a tandem for 3 summers and my latest boat has a single. The SA tows amazingly well, and it's probably due in large part to having a torsion axle. The boat sits very low on the trailer (Ram-Lin wishbone-style) and is stable and smooth behind the truck. It may actually tow smoother than my leaf-spring tandem. It's a 5000# axle with large 6-bolt drums and 15" rims- so although it's an SA it's pretty heavy-duty as far as the axle, hubs, and tires go.

I understand the blowout argument completely but here are a few things I won't miss about my tandem, FWIW:

- The axles fighting each other and creaking/skidding during any sharp turn, especially backing into the driveway- it never felt "right".

- Maneuvering the boat into the garage, both by hand and with the car- I basically "thread the needle" getting the boat in my garage the exact way it needs to go.

- Maintaining 4 sets of bearings

- Maintaining 4 tires

So, I can't say that I'd 100% go for a tandem on my next boat- I'd seriously consider it but it wouldn't be a deal breaker either way. I do think tandems look awesome.

I towed with a tandem for 3 summers and my latest boat has a single. The SA tows amazingly well, and it's probably due in large part to having a torsion axle. The boat sits very low on the trailer (Ram-Lin wishbone-style) and is stable and smooth behind the truck. It may actually tow smoother than my leaf-spring tandem. It's a 5000# axle with large 6-bolt drums and 15" rims- so although it's an SA it's pretty heavy-duty as far as the axle, hubs, and tires go.

I understand the blowout argument completely but here are a few things I won't miss about my tandem, FWIW:

- The axles fighting each other and creaking/skidding during any sharp turn, especially backing into the driveway- it never felt "right".

- Maneuvering the boat into the garage, both by hand and with the car- I basically "thread the needle" getting the boat in my garage the exact way it needs to go.

- Maintaining 4 sets of bearings

- Maintaining 4 tires

So, I can't say that I'd 100% go for a tandem on my next boat- I'd seriously consider it but it wouldn't be a deal breaker either way. I do think tandems look awesome.

I tow my Bu a grand total of 2000 ft each year....1000ft to boat launch in spring and 1000ft back to cottage in fall. If I could rig up a dolly, I would push the thing around and sell the trailer. That being said, the dual axle trailer rides as smooth as silk. If I had to tow any distances on the highway I would go with the dual axle. Short trips to dump the boat in the local lake, I would go with the single.

Edited by DNA'er

i think the smaller boats, sporty's, reponse, skiers, etc. can certainly be hauled with a single axle. many of those boats are less than 2,700 lbs. the larger wakesetters, (3,500 lbs.+) on the other hand, certainly benefit with a tandem. tandems are so much smoother at speed and can really handle side winds, sketchy ramps (like steep ones with oddly spaced pre-cast concrete ties), railroad crossings (not that I hit them fast), etc. etc. etc. if the sidewalls of your tires are starting to fade and crack you may want to replace them. new tires aren't very expensive and will go a long way for piece of mind.

i have a tandem on my sunsetter (2,800 lbs.) and I woudn't want a single.

having a blowout on a boat trailer isn't really that big of a deal. believe me, it really sucks to have a blowout (or mulitple) on a cattle trailer in North Dakota from December through March Mad.gif . it changes your perspective when the auction lot closes at a looming time, the bolts are rusted tight, the animals in the trailer are moving and there is a -30 wind chill Surprised.gif! at least with the boat, the weather is typically nice and there might be another person to help you muscle through it. Thumbup.gif

i think the smaller boats, sporty's, reponse, skiers, etc. can certainly be hauled with a single axle. many of those boats are less than 2,700 lbs. the larger wakesetters, (3,500 lbs.+) on the other hand, certainly benefit with a tandem. tandems are so much smoother at speed and can really handle side winds, sketchy ramps (like steep ones with oddly spaced pre-cast concrete ties), railroad crossings (not that I hit them fast), etc. etc. etc. if the sidewalls of your tires are starting to fade and crack you may want to replace them. new tires aren't very expensive and will go a long way for piece of mind.

i have a tandem on my sunsetter (2,800 lbs.) and I woudn't want a single.

having a blowout on a boat trailer isn't really that big of a deal. believe me, it really sucks to have a blowout (or mulitple) on a cattle trailer in North Dakota from December through March Mad.gif . it changes your perspective when the auction lot closes at a looming time, the bolts are rusted tight, the animals in the trailer are moving and there is a -30 wind chill Surprised.gif! at least with the boat, the weather is typically nice and there might be another person to help you muscle through it. Thumbup.gif

Burr !!!!!

I guess I will no longer complain about the blowout I had on the comapny trailer with the forklift on it, in mud up to the axle @ midnite in December, 17 degrees outside. :)

Edited by LS-One
I can't think of any down side to a tandem, I guess if you need to push your boat around by hand it would be a little harder but why the heck would you want to do that,park it right the first time.

One other thing to think about is that tandem trailers look much better.

With the high cost of fuel, a single would give you better fuel economy. I have had both and as long as I know the axle bearings and tires are in good shape I have no worries about pulling a single axle

Burr !!!!!

I guess I will no longer complain about the blowout I had on the comapny trailer with the forklift on it, in mud up to the axle @ midnite in December, 17 degrees outside. :)

changing a tire in soft ground is especially aggravating... Mad.gif

• 4 weeks later...
I can't think of any down side to a tandem, I guess if you need to push your boat around by hand it would be a little harder but why the heck would you want to do that,park it right the first time.

One other thing to think about is that tandem trailers look much better.

With the high cost of fuel, a single would give you better fuel economy. I have had both and as long as I know the axle bearings and tires are in good shape I have no worries about pulling a single axle

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

I've had both single and tandem axle trailers. My current trailer is an SMP tandem with brakes on both axles. I appear to be in the minority - I would recommend a single in many applications.

The tandem tracks straighter down the freeway, especially in crosswinds, and I do appreciate that when going for long hauls to Norris or Cumberland. But the added costs of a tandem vs single I think are overkill on most boats in the 20-21 ft range. When you get up to the bigger VLX/Wakesetters, a tandem is a must-have. But for boats like my Echelon LX (I just weighed the whole thing and it totalled 3,460 lbs boat/motor/trailer with full fuel) I think a single is better. Tandem does make for a nicer looking rig, however - they look good! :-)

With a tandem, you have twice the tires to replace every few years. Same goes for brake maintenance and repairs. And the smaller 20 footers will fit nicely in most garages - except you CANNOT pivot a tandem trailer by hand. That is the biggest downfall in my mind to a tandem trailer. If you keep proper inflation on the tires, keep them out of the sun or at least protected with something like 303, grease the bearings several times a year, and use actual trailer tires vs. some cheap automotive tire, you are not going to have a blowout unless you hit something.

Anyone want to trade an SMP tandem for an SMP or Boatmate single for an Echelon LX? :-) I could get her in my garage with a single axle pivot!

-- Mike

I don't use my trailer enough to run tandems. I don't want to buy tires every five years when I would only have 1000 miles on them. I have had three blowouts and the trailer has remained extremely stable each time so no worries.