Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX vs. X2 Which would you buy

Willy

Why yes you can. I almost got a brand new X-2 for 52,000. 08, Or 07? Its just about your style/preference.

Edited by Aric's205V

Look around on the net for info on that $10k rebate. Apparently you have to do all your maintenance & record keeping by the book. Any discrepancy & it's money out the door.

Some people love it & others call it a scam.

In all seriousness...How financially sound is MasterCraft as a company? Anybody really know? That $10K rebate would be hard to collect if there were to be a bankruptcy...

And I am not saying MC is going BK...I'm just saying...It's something to consider.

$8K less is a nice chunk of change if you like both boats equally. :unsure: I guess being broke has it's advantages... :lol: ...I'm not faced with these tough decisions. No.gif

If you are looking for info on the rebate go look on the mc owners group web. I think you will find some disgruntled owners and a grand total of "1" happy owner. Just some reading I did recently. Very long thread, but interesting reading.

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

If it like the rebate I have seen at the MC dealer here, it is through a third party company that you have to do your financing thorugh as well as get the extended warranty.

I suggest going over to the Mastercraft site and seeing what they have to say about these rebates. The company Mastercraft does not back the $10.000 rebate, it's a 3rd party company. I think I've read on there, there are dealers that won't even offer this to customers because the likelihood of receiving your rebate is so slim. I read 1 success story on the MC site, and many many failures over the last few years. I'd definitely do your research on this if you really NEED the 10K.

I suggest going over to the Mastercraft site and seeing what they have to say about these rebates. The company Mastercraft does not back the $10.000 rebate, it's a 3rd party company. I think I've read on there, there are dealers that won't even offer this to customers because the likelihood of receiving your rebate is so slim. I read 1 success story on the MC site, and many many failures over the last few years. I'd definitely do your research on this if you really NEED the 10K.

I have heard nothing but bad stories about these too. Do your research, the answer will be clear.

A few other things to think about: if you hate the boat (for some reason) and want to sell it next year, or anytime within the next 3 years, what happens to the rebate?

And what can you make on 10 grand in three years if you invest it well? Tell me who's getting the good deal there, especially if they earn interest on your 10 grand for 3 yeras, then find a loop hole and never give it back, all while your paying top dollar to have the boat serviced their way and are spending hours keeping track of paper work and fulfilling crazy requirements!

Consider them to both be roughly the same price and buy which ever boat makes you the most happy. Dont bet on getting that 10 grand back, and if you do, then view it as an added bonus.

I think pretty much everyone on this site would buy the vtx over the x2.

If you prefer the malibu (ummmm power wedge) over the mc and are considering mc just because of the almost a sure thing promise of 10k at some future date, then get the wake hull vtx.

btw, will the wake hull make a big difference over the dc hull for surfing?

good luck with your decision.

RUN!!! That 10k rebate is exactly as everyone says. If you are not 100% PERFECT in the execution of that rebate, you will be excluded from it. It has been the subject of national newspapers and local news stories. When I say perfect, some say it must be POSTMARKED on a certain date. Others say 1 day late or 1 day early delivery to the rebate clearinghouse and you are Excluded.

I would watch your back.. I can't believe that Mastercraft or your dealer would get into bed with this... Or just get your dealer to commit to execute it perfectly on your behalf and if they screw up have a signed document stating they owe you the 10k...

Run.... Run... Run.... Even a Offshore racing boat isn't fast enough to get away from this one... (Plus if you take out a loan to pay for any of the boat... that is 10k worth of principal that you will be paying interest on for 3 years... sure, it isn't 10k worth of interest... but still...)

Willy,

I skied with a Maristar 200 (same hull as an X2) owner this past summer and he was disappointed with the slalom performance and barefoot performance of the Maristar 200 with the 350 hp. He felt the slalom wake was much worse (bigger and harder wake) than the Prostar 205 we skied that day; which I personally though was worse (bigger and harder) than the VTX with Cut Diamond Hull. Also the top speed was only 42 mph so footing was borderline. He is not much of a wakeboarder so he made no comment on the boat for wakeboarding or wake surfing. However, I know that Wakeboard Magazine put the VTX in a higher class for wakeboarding than the X2. Check out wakeboardingmag.com and waterskimag.com (same evaluation) and (see their boat reviews online). He did also test a 20 LSV this summer and said he wished he would have tested that before he bought the Maristar 200. After testing the LSV he also said the LSV handled more like a DD than the Maristar 200 (less banking in the turns). He did say that the bow design made it more usable than the 20 LSV.

I think it comes down to personal taste in boats. I am also surprised on the pricing of the X2 (even without the $10k Mail in Rebate) but I don't know if I can say that either boat is a "good deal"... I feel like I am crazy paying $60k for a boat... Hmmm $3,000/foot... Yep, I am insane. Crazy.gif

Look around on the net for info on that $10k rebate. Apparently you have to do all your maintenance & record keeping by the book. Any discrepancy & it's money out the door.

Some people love it & others call it a scam.

I can't believe MC is still pushing this Customer Rewards crap. The percentages of people that actually get their money is small. I would not take this 10K as real reason to buy the boat, don't forget the Opportunity Cost of capital and other variables.

The X-2 is a comprimse boat at bet, better suited to wake baording. Takes lots of weight to sink it. For a famiy cruiser is pretty good, roomy for its length and has a decent ride. A bit over priced IMO. The customer rewards stuff is just above bogus, very fer people will qualify, too much fine print. Better off with the VTX and wake hull.

Edited by walnuthill

I am not a real big fan of these promotions that either have nothing to do with the product (i.e. TVs) or are very restricting and involve significant amounts of waiting.

I have seen these promotions tied in with other products before. I have seen the promotion company go "bankrupt" before the majority of the payments are due, and then they can not pay you! Seems like a lot of risk...

When we were looking at boats this winter the MC dealer offered us:

a) the $10K (it really wasn't a big deal according to them, you just have to follow the directions). Well, take one look at the directions and you will see how much of a disaster it can be. The salesman had been working there for a couple years and had seen 1 or 2 people come in to get their checks. 1 or 2 in 2 years of working at a major selling dealership is not a good success rate IMHO

B) we were offered a big plasma screen tv. I can't stand this, a TV has nothing to do with what I am buying...What am I going to do watch a blu-ray as I cruise down the lake?

c) $2K off up front...the most reasonable and the choice I would have taken...

all in all, we bought a Malibu

For 8000 grand less that's a tough call if it's for real. A good friend has an x-2 I had an 07 vtx and now an 08. Differences off the top of my head, x-2 is a better runabout cuts through rough water better, has nicer fit and finish imo (flame suit now on) I really like the extra bow space and the snap out carpet and floor drain to the sump. Power and performance are about the same but handling the VTX kills it, no tracking fins on an x2 it turns and tracks poorly. Solid tower on x2 but too high for a covered lift, you have to drop it everytime. VTX has a nicer boarding wake imo, power wedge is really nice, planes slower for beginners or kids, crest comes off the wake sooner. I still ski so my VTX is diamond hull x2 is not even close to as nice a ski wake. In simple terms I think the x2 is a really nice stern drive where they put a vdrive set up in for lack of better description, the VTX is a great all around water sports boat, they are very different boats.

Stick with what you know is a good product, if you loved your Malibu you will most certainly love the new one. The MC is an unknown quantity to you and 8000.00 in a delayed and suspect rebate is probably not worth it. Also, something you have probably already done, take the MC deal to your Malibu Dealer and see if they will knock some more money off. The economy is getting tight these days and recreational vehicle dealers are the first ones to start feeling it so they may be willing to deal some more.

Chad

IMHO even for even money I will pick the vtx every time.

Better handling

Better ski wake

Better boarding wake

more power

Better balast system

NO SPORK

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

Well, I was all set to get a new 2008 VTX (i sold my 07 VTX to go to the wake hull from the DC hull) and I stopped by the Mastercraft Dealer to look around and of course they want to convert me. The problem Is I can actually get an X2 with the same options as a VTX for $8,000.00 less. How is that you ask? They are offering a $10,000 mail in rebate that you get in three years no strings attached. I am so confused. I looked the boat over real well today and I like it. I just worry wether I can surf behind it or not (without adding sacks). In my VTX that wedge made all of the difference in the world. The Mastercraft with all of the usual goodies, Stereo, amp, sub, tower lights & speakers, heater, trailer, Bimini is just over $60k otd. I am at $58k on the VTX with the same equipment and the power wedge. I always thought the Disastercrafts were like 10-15k more and with the 10k rebate it sure looks inviting. BTW both dealers are "top notch".

Any thoughts?

So, 8000 less now, 10k rebate (maybe) so for three years, the MC is 2k more, plus interest on 10k and risk you may never see the 10k. Now, add in which boat YOU like to drive, tow, ski, wakeboard, surf, ride in, take people out in, see in your driveway, fill with gas, pay insurance on...

For us, MC had a stigma attached that ruled it out from day 1. Plus that didn't include the love it or hate it aesthetics choice of the forked bow.

Thanks everybody for the advise on the rebate. The "dealer" said it was no big deal so long as you send it in on time. Also you do not need to keep the boat to get it according to them. Either way the $8k works out to about $6,800 if you include lost interest and that is alot of money in an economy such as we have now. As I stated before I always thought the MC's were more money as well and I was shocked that even without the rebate that an 08 x2 was only 2k higher than the vtx and I didn't even have to beat them up. I originally thought the price on the vtx was fair at 58k w/monsoon, stereo w/amps, sub, two tower speakers, bimini, power wedge, heated seat, single axle and bow ballast but maybe I was wrong?. I should have kept my 07 yet I really felt the cut diamond was not the way to go unless you foot IMO.

Test, test, test both boats for your needs. Nothing can beat your own final decision based on your likes/dislikes.

Dealers should be more than willing to take you out on your boat of choice. Then ask around for hands on experience from friends, people on your lake, etc.

I'd make your final decision on the boat 'cause 10k is small when compared to the actual boat costs and total cost of ownership. Then I would proceed to see what kind of deal you can get. I know nothing about the rebate thing but does smell a bit, but if you have nothing to lose and the x2 is your clear choice, then go for it.

good luck and happy boating.