Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

looking at used boat

ricnvic

I have a friend that is look at a 2005 v-ride and wants me to go look at it with him, any tips on what to look out for? any issues that anyone has seen while looking at used boats?

I just bought an 05 Vride a few months ago. I don't know of any ongoing issues with the boat. This is the tried & true VLX from like 01 - 04, just rebadged to get a few more years out of the molds.

So look at the obvious, interior condition, hows it run, shift in & out of gear, condition of the trailer, etc. Does it come with the rear ballast tanks (this was an option & you can easily see them in the rear storage compartments)?

Interesting comment made by someone in this forum..... take a look at the owner's garage. If it's in descent shape, he probably takes care of his toys.

Good luck. Bring your board/ski/foil & have some fun with it!

I just bought an 05 Vride a few months ago. I don't know of any ongoing issues with the boat. This is the tried & true VLX from like 01 - 04, just rebadged to get a few more years out of the molds.

So look at the obvious, interior condition, hows it run, shift in & out of gear, condition of the trailer, etc. Does it come with the rear ballast tanks (this was an option & you can easily see them in the rear storage compartments)?

Interesting comment made by someone in this forum..... take a look at the owner's garage. If it's in descent shape, he probably takes care of his toys.

not that i don't look after my stuff, but when I am selling something i always clean the garage. :)

not that i don't look after my stuff, but when I am selling something i always clean the garage. :)

I am laughing because I am cleaning my garage because the guy that test drove my old boat is coming to pick it up this weekend.

I just got back from looking at the boat, it had left and right rear and middle bast, perfect pass, extra ballest bags, decent stereo with ipod hook-up, spring loaded illusion tower, perfect pass. it's a 05 that they picked up in 06 and has 160 hrs. they want $37,000. I'm going to check nada and see what they are going for.

Good rule of thumb, on average perhaps. However, my garage is a freakin' mess, yet I keep my toys in immaculate condition. Dontknow.gif

I just got back from looking at the boat, it had left and right rear and middle bast, perfect pass, extra ballest bags, decent stereo with ipod hook-up, spring loaded illusion tower, perfect pass. it's a 05 that they picked up in 06 and has 160 hrs. they want $37,000. I'm going to check nada and see what they are going for.

Probably pretty fair price. I paid a bit more with a few more options & about 20 more hours. So it should book out pretty easily.

Probably pretty fair price. I paid a bit more with a few more options & about 20 more hours. So it should book out pretty easily.

Thanks bill, I thought that was a good price and I think my friend is going to buy it. he and his kids (kids mainly) have been wanting a ski boat as they have been learning to wakeboard behind his fishing boat and after we took the out wakeboard in my boat I think that sealed the deal. he has been looking at other boats but he has BU fever Rockon.gif

Good rule of thumb, on average perhaps. However, my garage is a freakin' mess, yet I keep my toys in immaculate condition. Dontknow.gif

Plus1.gif

Edit: - OOPS missed that you've already gone to see it... :Doh:

The clean garage and overall cosmetic appearance advice is pretty reliable, but you should still do some of the basics....

I don't have to clean my garage for anyone coming over, but it also doesn't look like Edwin's.

The Ride series are typically solid boats and it should give your friend many years of enjoyment. There have also been a few members on the forums that have had some pretty significant problems with brand new boats and you don't want your friend to get stuck with someone else's lemon.

If it's from a private seller, assume the seller is hiding a serious defect(s) & try to find them. If it's from a dealer, make sure you can get a major systems warranty for 30-60 days.

These are the things I have looked at when looking at boats:

Check everything electrical

Horn

Gauges

Acc Lights

Running lights

Stereo

Alternator/battery

Bilge pump

Bilge Blower

MLS works without leaks

Shower

Heater

Look under the dash for things that just look wrong.

Engine runs well

Oil level/color

Compression Test/check spark plugs - The guage costs $35 at any auto store.

Look all over for signs of damage/repair/leaks

Vents run correctly into and out of engine compartment & not pinched by other lines.

Steering smooth

Prop straight

Rudder aligned

Look along the boat edges and flat panels for deviations

Get under the boat & look at the bottom - Keel, strakes, thru-hulls.

Look around lifting rings & tower for signs of damage.

Trailer bearings OK

Trailer Brakes work - No more than 1/4 travel for drum, 1/2 for disc brakes.

Condition of trailer tires/Bunks

If all of the above looks OK - Sea trial/test drive.

Compare how it runs/handles against your boat.

Edited by weinrdog

Thanks bill, I thought that was a good price and I think my friend is going to buy it. he and his kids (kids mainly) have been wanting a ski boat as they have been learning to wakeboard behind his fishing boat and after we took the out wakeboard in my boat I think that sealed the deal. he has been looking at other boats but he has BU fever Rockon.gif

For $3k more, they could try to bid on this....

06 Wakesetter VLX with 12 hours

Now they would be in a boat they could use for a year or two an possibly flip??? Dontknow.gif

Edited by IceMelted

Now they would be in a boat they could use for a year or two an possibly flip??? Dontknow.gif

Interesting. So anyone in SoCal interested in taking a look?

Wonder what the deal is on that. What kind of company is National Liquidators? And only $40k for a 2 yr old VLX with 12 hrs?! A little bit unreal, isn't it?

Hey Icemelted, you have any luck selling your Vride? Seems like I recall it being a nice boat & really fair price before you put it in storage. Just was a bit far for me to go when I had 2 others within a 5 hr drive from my house.

Wonder what the deal is on that. What kind of company is National Liquidators? And only $40k for a 2 yr old VLX with 12 hrs?! A little bit unreal, isn't it?

Hey Icemelted, you have any luck selling your Vride? Seems like I recall it being a nice boat & really fair price before you put it in storage. Just was a bit far for me to go when I had 2 others within a 5 hr drive from my house.

Still have her, and the way the winter has been around here, she'll be in storage until JUNE Cry.gif

Still have her, and the way the winter has been around here, she'll be in storage until JUNE Cry.gif

Tell me more about your vRide....

Tell me more about your vRide....

05 V-ride less than 50 hours

Dark Blue & White, Indmar LCR 320 HP EFI Engine, Titan III Tower, Flip Bolster Drivers Seat, 3 Ballast Tanks, Wedge, Fiberglass Platform, Sony CD, Boat Cover, 2 Titan Board Racks. 46 hrs Fresh Water Only. S/A Boatmate Trailer with Swing Tongue. All Maintenance and Winterization Performed Professionaly, Boat Stored Inside for Winter. Washed, Wiped and Covered after Each use, Boat kept on Covered Hoist during season. This Boat is Clean Inside and Out.

Call Toll Free 877-891-4282, or 269-324-1941 with any questions, or for more pictures.

More Pic's at

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb282/M.../2005%20V-Ride/