Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

yet another question

RedOwl

I know I've posted a lot lately with somewhat simple questions, but you have been so helpful and I just want to be sure we're getting exactly what we need.

My new question is this:

Is the Sunscape 247 LSV too big for some lakes? My wife and I will spend the majority of our boating time on a 3,200 acre lake that ranges in depth from 4 ft to 40 feet.

It is relatively busy on the weekends but the waves are never out of control.

We really like the space of the 247 but want to make sure it isn't "too much boat"

Thanks again.

Edited by RedOwl

I don't think it's too much for the lake. I have a 21' boat on a 700 acre lake & it's fine.

It might be too much for a boat slip, a garage, a parking stall, or your truck. I'd definitely verify it fits wherever you want to store or park it.

It shouldn't be a problem. We typically boat on a 2700 Acre lake in 22 & 23 ft boats without problem.

We're also out on a 350 acre lake in the 22 ft boat without issue.

It's more dependent on the number of people than the size of the lake - provided you're not on a tiny private lake (7-20 acres or so).

I think that you are right on target. With the maneuverability of the 247 it makes getting anywhere a breeze. You could go to a 23, but I think that you will be fine in the 247. Gives that extra room and on the lake you will not know the difference from the outside.

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

The 247 is huge. I love the way they look... and trust me, I specifically went out & moved my husbands markers so that our new boat parking pad would fit a 247 eventually. :blush:

But realistically, I don't think we'll get one anytime soon. It throws a huge (and for me unmanageable) wake - plus I'm starting to enjoy the skiing lately and so that may mean sticking with my diamond hull 23lsv for a while longer. Plus, I'm not a driver, so that means the husband would have to maneuver that puppy by himself. :unsure: But I do enjoy the roominess of the 247, especially with my herd of children. ;)

If you have that many people consistently on your boat, then the 247 may be the way to go. Although I can fit 8-10 pretty comfortably in my boat as well. Obviously at this point you've gone & looked at them both, go with your gut and get what you like/feel you need.

Good luck!

The 8-13 people save me money on ballast.

Cheers.gif

If half of the people you have going will be out boarding/surfing etc. you'll be having some really long days out on the lake. But the more people you have the funner it is as long as they help pay for gas Thumbup.gif

I may be a bit partial here, but I love the size of the 247. I have had 15 people aboard and even then there was room to move around. I have gotten spoiled by the extra room and not sure I could manage with a VLX, a 23' LSV maybe.

I would be a little nervous in 4' of water tho, especially if I was loaded down for surfing. :unsure:

I may be a bit partial here, but I love the size of the 247. I have had 15 people aboard and even then there was room to move around. I have gotten spoiled by the extra room and not sure I could manage with a VLX, a 23' LSV maybe.

I would be a little nervous in 4' of water tho, especially if I was loaded down for surfing. :unsure:

If I could slalom ski behind a 247 it wouldn't be a second thought Thumbup.gif

I'd like to see you try... :)

If you are talking about Mendota, you'll like the extra size on the weekend and if there is alot of wind. I was out on a very windy day and the waves were coming over the bow. I have a 23' wakesetter XTI. With that size, you might have a problem getting to "Gilligans Island" if you have'nt driven the channel. Hope this helps.

Chillie, We'd be hitting up Kegonsa, Waubesa, Monona & Mendota.

Where is Gilligan's island? Can I get there with a 247 if I'm careful and learn the waters, or is it out of the question?

I rode in a 247 in some bigger water and it was extremely comfortable in the chop!

Edited by forrestgump1203

I'd like to see you try... :)

Hey now, I resemble that comment.

I enjoy slaloming behind mine!!! It is definitely not a response, but with an excellent shape and 34-36mph, it is a very reasonable wake. I can cut full out and still keep the ski in the water. If fact, if I was my in shape, younger self, I bet I could run the course if the boat would fit through the gates.

Now for the reasonable part of me, I know it will not be a true slalom skiers dream, but if you want to slalom recreationally, it is not a bad boat.

Rockon.gifRockon.gifRockon.gif

It is just south of the Belt-line. Coming from Monona, going under the bridge south, it is a couple hundred yards after that. You can see it from the Belt-line on a warm Sat. Going through the channel can be tricky, stay as close to the middle as possible, you should be ok. If you are going through the locks from Mendota, mind your manners with the guys working it... they are no nonsense. For some reason they don't seem to find things as funny as we do after being on the water all day. If you need anything else, let me know.

Chillie I know exactly where you're talking about! I hope I can get a 247 out there. It looks like there is a lot of fun to be had for people who venture over there.

Any "wisconsin boating" advice you have is welcomed!