Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Problems with cover, which is the best?

Water Boy

I have a 07 lsv and the cover I ended up getting is the one with the ratchet at the back by the swim platform that tightens the cover around the gunnels. Every time I put the cover on I put the two poles in there and the ski pylon up but water still catches in the cover by the back seats on one side and stretches the hell out of the cover. Plus I can't keep the dam thing from riding up on the sides and flapping loose when I pull it from place to place! Can you warrenty the cover, what can I do the thing was a $2,000 option or somthing...

I have a 07 lsv and the cover I ended up getting is the one with the ratchet at the back by the swim platform that tightens the cover around the gunnels. Every time I put the cover on I put the two poles in there and the ski pylon up but water still catches in the cover by the back seats on one side and stretches the hell out of the cover. Plus I can't keep the dam thing from riding up on the sides and flapping loose when I pull it from place to place! Can you warrenty the cover, what can I do the thing was a $2,000 option or somthing...

I had that cover on my 06 (dealer gave it to me from an 07)

Sounds like your poles are a touch too high... If the 2 poles are too high, you can't drop the sides enough to get them securely around the rub rail. I always ratcheted the crap out of mine to get it nice and tight. I never had any pooling problems though until it snowed in ATL which added weight onto the cover and then it melted and pooled.

In addition to the comment above about the poles being too high, which I agree with, I tighten mine up more by pulling the cover down BELOW the two eyelets in the back of the boat when ratcheting it down. This pulls it just tight enough to keep water from puddling in it. I used to have lots of problems until I started doing that and since then it's been much better.

Mike

I will be ordering a new Rankin cover pretty soon for towing this season. I would not use the factory cover for towing as it is not made for that. The Rankins fit very tight and should be pretty good for keeping water off. That said, I keep my boat in the garage and am picking a cover for towing only.

When I ordered my 2007 VLX, I ordered it with a custom snap on cover. I know some people aren't crazy about having snaps on their boat, but the usefulness far outweighs any downsides. It is a 2 section cover, so the bow can remain snapped while removing the rear section. It's great for those cooler days - leave it snapped, stick the kids under there with a heater and they stay nice and toasty. Putting the cover on and taking off is a piece of cake with one person. It's got a strap that goes over the tower, so there are no worries of the pole falling down. I tow with it on. No water pooling issues. I just couldn't be happier. I can't remember total cost, but somewhere around $1K.

It's probably not for everyone, but I'll never own another boat without a snap cover. This is my second boat with one, and it is just too convienent.

Here's some pics.

FrontCovered.jpg

CornerCovered.jpg

RearCovered.jpg

Bryan

When I picked up my 06 it came with the "new" cover. I ordered the one that covers the swim platform (which I believe was $350.) The dealer told me that Malibu claimed I could tow with the cover on. His next words were "But please don't do that."

For 2k the thing better put itself on.

To echo what has been said if it is a Malibu Factory Cover it will be either Great Lakes or Commercial Sewing. The Commercial Sewing claims to be towable but you are not supposed to have the poles in while towing and from my experience without poles in place you should have no problem with it riding up the sides. On my personal boat I do not use the poles that came with the cover because they are not adjustable and are too tall to allow the cover to fit properly. I had an adjustable pole from a previous cover that I put at a lower height and have had 0 problems with water pooling anywhere on the cover.

If the dealer had it built buy a local shop or ordered from a company like Rankin I would take it up with him to get everything fixed.

Got my cover from Cory two years ago, and I'm extremely satisfied. Easy to put on and take off. Good for towing, although I get a little bit of creep a couple of feet back from the bow once in a while 55 mph, but when I re-cinch everything at our first stop, it's fine. I store my boat on a lift during the season, and the cover has been great. Rain and dew beads easily and rolls off. Interior still breathes reasonably well, and I don't get the musty smell when I pull it off after letting the boat sit for a couple of weeks. Overall, I'm a big fan...probably the best investment I've made in an after-market product for the 'Bu.

Get a cover from Cory, I love mine and won't own another boat with out getting one from him. I put about a 5 inch block under the front crank thing(brain fart and can't think what its called, but the crank with the wheel on the bottom at the front of the trailer) and crank it all the way up so that is up pretty high in the front. doing that I don't need any poles with my cover and the water just rolls off the back.

Edited by malik

Plus1.gif

In addition to the comment above about the poles being too high, which I agree with, I tighten mine up more by pulling the cover down BELOW the two eyelets in the back of the boat when ratcheting it down. This pulls it just tight enough to keep water from puddling in it. I used to have lots of problems until I started doing that and since then it's been much better.

Mike

uk_exile, where did you get that cover?

It's one of the standard covers made by a local canvas company for the Malibu dealer. Most NZ bu's are sold with these covers. It's awesome protection from weather, road debris and has fleece where it touches any gel coat, reinforcing in all the right places etc but it is heavy to put on and remove.