Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Height of a VLX sitting on Trailer

chrisallenhogs

Does anyone have a measument of the top of the VLX windsheild sitting on a tandem axle trailer? I have a shorter than normal garage and am hoping that I will be able to fit it in. If I can get the windsheild underneath the garage is plenty big enough to hold it. I have a 2008 vlx on order.

Does anyone have a measument of the top of the VLX windsheild sitting on a tandem axle trailer? I have a shorter than normal garage and am hoping that I will be able to fit it in. If I can get the windsheild underneath the garage is plenty big enough to hold it. I have a 2008 vlx on order.

What tower do you have and how short is the garage door ? 7 FT ? If you have the Illusion tower its not the windshield you have to worry about its the tow ball on the tower which sticks up a good foot above the windshield when folded down. I currently have my 06 VLX on a Extreme trailer in my garage with a 7ft door. I had to remove the tow ball and lower the jack stand all the way down and then push the boat in by hand. It scrapped by with half a centimeter to spare.

Nope, no quick release on the Illusion X tower, although the XS does have a removable rear hoop so you can pull it off somewhat easier.

It will also depend quite a bit on what trailer the boat is on, so you'll probably want to supply that info too.

I have the illusion X, Is there not a quick release where you can take that all the way down? do you have some picutres of how you do it?

You can take the upperhalf of the tower off but its not quick release and probably not worth the effort. You never stated how tall the door actually is ?

I am not sure what kind of trailer is getting ordered I will have to check that, also when I get home tonight I will measure the garage door. Stay posted thanks for the help.

Chris

ditto here.

I have a standard 7 ft garage. My '05 VLX sits on an extreme trailer with the stock wheels and I have to remove the ball from the tower to get to fit inside the garage.

The tower ball is aprox 6-8" above the windshield frame.

I have the illusion X, Is there not a quick release where you can take that all the way down? do you have some picutres of how you do it?

You can take the upperhalf of the tower off but its not quick release and probably not worth the effort. You never stated how tall the door actually is ?

We have an 06 LSV on a Extreme trailer with 17" wheels. It fit in the 7' garage with the upper section of the tower removed. We had some quick release butt connectors added to the speaker wire. Two guys and two bolts and then it fits and saves me $250 month in storage fees. I wouldn't recommend it if you had to remove it every time you go out but if it's a once a year winter storage thing it's not that big of a deal.

The trailer I will be getting is a dorsey tandem axle. Anyone know if it has a low profile. I checked on some Shed's today it looks like a locking garage shed will cost me about $4k. Anyone have any experience building these? Maybe I could do it cheaper.

Same as everyone else. Illiusion folded down, tounge down all the way, pushed in by hand and the ball removed BARELY fits in my 7' door..

I have a Ryan trailer with the 15" alloy wheel option.

I am new to this forum. I am thrilled to find such specific information and to realize that I am not the only person attempting to stuff a boat in the garage. Dontknow.gif

I just bought a new 2007 VLX (never been out of the showroom) with an Illusion X tower and it sits on a tandam axel Extreme trailer. I do not know the exact tire size, but the description says Aluminum Wheel upgrade with brakes, 235/60/R14 (on the Extreme web site it refers to this size as the "Low Profile Package").

I am picking it up next week. I live in Dallas near lake Grapevine. As I am new to the area I do not want to commit to a lake. All the lake storage options (wet and dry) require a 1 year committment. Just like a chick! :) Storage places off the lake have the same clearance problem as my garage. As it is a brand new boat, I do not like the idea of storing outside.

My garage has an 6' 10" clearance (it is a 7' door but there is a lip on the ground just inside the doorway that is about 1.5" high).

I did not think about unhitching and lowering the tongue and pushing the boat in by hand. I have been told that moving a boat like this with tandem axle trailer by hand is very difficult, and I have that lip to contend with.

Any suggestions? For you guys pushing the boat in by hand, how is that working out?

Phil, I talked to my guy at the boat place, it is pretty much not possible, you are going to miss it by 2 inches unless you take the wheels off and put it on movable jacks.

I did not think about unhitching and lowering the tongue and pushing the boat in by hand. I have been told that moving a boat like this with tandem axle trailer by hand is very difficult, and I have that lip to contend with.

Any suggestions? For you guys pushing the boat in by hand, how is that working out?

As long as it is lined up right, no biggie. If you try and swing the tounge over very far while not rolling pretty good the wheels next to each other really want to fight the turn.

I am new to this forum. I am thrilled to find such specific information and to realize that I am not the only person attempting to stuff a boat in the garage. Dontknow.gif

I just bought a new 2007 VLX (never been out of the showroom) with an Illusion X tower and it sits on a tandam axel Extreme trailer. I do not know the exact tire size, but the description says Aluminum Wheel upgrade with brakes, 235/60/R14 (on the Extreme web site it refers to this size as the "Low Profile Package").

I am picking it up next week. I live in Dallas near lake Grapevine. As I am new to the area I do not want to commit to a lake. All the lake storage options (wet and dry) require a 1 year committment. Just like a chick! :) Storage places off the lake have the same clearance problem as my garage. As it is a brand new boat, I do not like the idea of storing outside.

My garage has an 6' 10" clearance (it is a 7' door but there is a lip on the ground just inside the doorway that is about 1.5" high).

If you can get the rear wheels onto the garage (above the lip) before you unhitch, then once on the garage slab it should roll with just a good shove and a bit of leverage, just be careful once you get it moving. You'll want a little ramp action to get the tongue support up over the garage lip. Fitting into a 7' door is amazing. This is my VTX going into an 8' tall x 9' wide. 4" width to spare. With swing racks, they stickup when swung in to reduce the width (they are on the top set of holes), so curious what everyone with 7' doors is doing about racks, do you all have double-wide (16') doors?

post-5194-1204181548_thumb.jpg

Thank you to all of your Malibu owners and crew for all of the replies. I am a first time boat owner and clearly I have gone in with the right crowd! :)

If you can get the rear wheels onto the garage (above the lip) before you unhitch, then once on the garage slab it should roll with just a good shove and a bit of leverage, just be careful once you get it moving. You'll want a little ramp action to get the tongue support up over the garage lip. Fitting into a 7' door is amazing. This is my VTX going into an 8' tall x 9' wide. 4" width to spare. With swing racks, they stickup when swung in to reduce the width (they are on the top set of holes), so curious what everyone with 7' doors is doing about racks, do you all have double-wide (16') doors?

Phil, I talked to my guy at the boat place, it is pretty much not possible, you are going to miss it by 2 inches unless you take the wheels off and put it on movable jacks.

Thank you to all of your Malibu owners and crew for all of the replies. I am a first time boat owner and clearly I have gone in with the right crowd!

I can't fit the boat in the 3rd stall, so it takes up the to car side. I have to take off my racks but I do it anyway as it's easy and less I have to clean with all the bugs.

Our door is a 7 footer and the 06 VLX is on a performance trailer. We flattened the tires for a 3-4 foot push to get the tower through then reinflated them (single axle trailer). Whistling.gif It scraped the top trim board, even with my elder daughter hanging on it. Racks are off.

But here's the latest thing for us. We keep the boat in all season. I did the match and determined selling the truck would provide enough fuel savings to offset the winter storage/winterization charges from the local Independent Marine. Truck will be gone tonight. Borrow a truck for the spring launch and make the phone call to reserve space for next winter. Couln't be happier with this development. Didn't have to build a shed or do a major garage renovation. Clap.gif

I have an '07 VLX sitting on an Extreme Trailer and like everyone else it barely fits under a 7' garage. My trailer was also lowered 1.5" and I have to remove the tow ball to make this work. My garage was originally 6'-11" tall so I had to do a little trimming to get 'er in.

I also had a width problem... My opening was 105" which made it pretty tight. I had to remove some stucco trim on both sides and now I'm at 107" which leaves me with about 1.5" clearance on either side. Pretty tight but well worth it!

I have the exact same headachesas all you with a 7 foot door and an 06 VLX riding on a Extreme trailer. I will be making the modifacations this spring when the snow is gone, i'm going to raise my garage header about 18" and fill the gap with a custom made garage panel, this will save me deflating tires, removing the racks and ball and having the wife in the boat pushing up on the door to make sure absolutely nothing hit's. Thumbup.gif