Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RLXi Owners

wedge88

I just bought a 06 RLXi and had a question for other owners. I ski on a 68" ski and there is no way to get my ski in the center compartment with the cooler. I don't understand why malibu would do this as this is a approved ski boat so wouldn't they figure most people are using this compartment? Any tips for getting the ski in? I can put my ski in the rear compartment but that is where I wanted to store boom and other accessories. I am not sure I could even get my wifes 65" in the floor locker. Has anyone cut out one of the cooler walls to give the full length of the compartment. Thanks

I've never tried to put my slalom ski in the floor ski locker since I always keep it in the rear trunk. I do keep some combo's down there for guests and they fit easily. I'm surprised a 68" ski won't fit.

I've never tried to put my slalom ski in the floor ski locker since I always keep it in the rear trunk. I do keep some combo's down there for guests and they fit easily. I'm surprised a 68" ski won't fit.

My parents SLXI is the same size and it fits 68" but mine has (2) doors and the back is a cooler with a wall that separates the ski compartment.

I put my boom in the in-floor ski locker, kids skis on top of the boom. The 68" ski fits, it's the bindings that dont clear the opening. you can cut out the cooler if you wish...nothing a couple mins with a sawzall can't fix.

I put my boom in the in-floor ski locker, kids skis on top of the boom. The 68" ski fits, it's the bindings that dont clear the opening. you can cut out the cooler if you wish...nothing a couple mins with a sawzall can't fix.

That is what I was thinking. I had the saw out yesterday and thought I better ask if someone else has done this or thought of it. I don't see it hurting anything. I would actually rather keep my ski in the rear but if my wife's ski does not fit or the boom, then the cooler is the gone.

Plus1.gif I never leave my ski in the boat if I am not boating I don't want the ski in hi temps. I keep paddles and anchors and other thins I don't use much down there.

I put the boom in the storage area behind the passenger seat. I've never tried putting the boom in the trunk. With that extra long bend that is required for the RLXi's I just figured it wouldn't fit and since I need to get to my ski a lot more often that the boom, the ski gets priority for the spot with the easier access.

Mike

Since the skis are the items most frequently used, they all stay in the trunk. I don't want to take any chances of a fin (or wing) cutting the upholstery. Thus, No skies are allowed in the boat - they are either in the trunk or on the platform. I do keep a pair of combos and kids skis in the center locker because they see very limited use, and I am the one who puts them in and takes them out. {So I'm a bit anal...}

That said, we live on a smaller lake and can leave the boom, skies, etc. that we aren't using at the moment in the dock locker. The boom is put on at the dock in shallow water and is never stored, or transported, in the boat.

Well the floor locker tends to collect water as it's the lowest point in the boat -- so anything down there remains moist and tends to get slimy on me -- so only a paddle and hook are what's in the floor locker.

I just use my ski in the a.m. and then leave it in the camp during family time so nothing happens to it. But I think one time I put the straight part of the boom in the trunk along with 2 slalom skis, and I have a 70 & a 68", flipped them on their side. The curved part of the boom fit either in the side pockets or under the back seat I can't remember which.

I will say this to give you something to think about. Check the sides of your rear trunk - don't know if your boat is different than my 2003 or not. On my 2003, the sides of the trunk are single wall -- as in the inside wall of the trunk is the same panel as the outside of the boat. While keeping my boom in the trunk -- and taking sharp turns, both in drenching the back seat passengers and just turning after the course for re-entry, the boom slides back & forth and acts exactly like a ram. While winterizing I noticed star cracks in the side of the boat fiberglass while I was waxing -- yup -- cracked the glass - I'm sure if I kept doing it without noticing there would have been a hole in the side with a boom sticking out of it. So now I took some plywood and cut them to fit in the sides of the rear trunk and put some color matched carpet onto it to act as a cushion. Both sections of the boom fit in the trunk and I have some boat bumpers, kids skis, and ski rope in there.

I just realized that I haven't even looked in the ski locker in the floor. My jump seat sits on top of it and I never really moved it. Hmmm.. I wonder what kind of yummy stuff is in there after last season. I have the boat in winter indoor storage. I might run down there and find out if there is standing water in there. That could be pretty nasty by now. I guess it is pretty cool out. This indoor storage is not heated. I had forgotten the locker was there because we never use it.

Long ago the center floor storage was called a ski locker. We used to get three skis in there.

Then bindings got large and stiff, and the lockers got smaller.

No way to get a ski with double boot bindings in there now.

A very desirable feature in the LXi is the rear ski locker. Right there where you need it, lift out ski and place it back from the platform; so no damage to upholstery or passengers by the ski as it is never "in" the boat. We put two slalom skis in the rear locker, on edge, along with gloves and ropes. Dry life jackets also fit there, but end up behind the drivers seat as they get used/wet.

That center floor storage? We use it for lunch (waterproof cooler). And for Trash. Unfortunately it is not dry, so ropes or anything else in there needs to be removed after each trip. The cooler next to it is nice; I wish they'd put like 3-4 coolers in a row, and replace the "ski storage" that can't store a ski. Imagine: one for lunch, one for snacks, one for drinks, etc.

I wouldn't cut out the cooler. In fact, if anyone figures out how to put more coolers in, let me know!

Edited by SKI LVR

Count me in for: "I don't use the floor ski locker because there is always water in it."

Since the boom is the most important accessory for me, it goes in the rear trunk. Funny how we prioritize.