Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wakeboard pre-season work out

hyperlitenerd

Hello everyone,

This year I'm making no excuses for my self, and I want to start working out at home to better my wakeboarding this season. What am I looking for are workouts or exercises that I can do at home.

As of right now I am doing push ups, pull ups, situps, and wall sits. After my first time out this season, my legs and core seemed to do ok. What my weak point was my arms for pulling the handle in on ts cut ins. If you have any good idea's or plans, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hyperlitenerd

• MalibuNation

• 68Slalom

• spaznoook

HLN -

I have a bench that has an upright with a pulley at the top and a "lat pulldown" bar. I take the bar off and put on a rope handle to do sets pulling weight down to my hip as I stand sideways. It also has a pulley low (for rows) that I can do the same only pulling up from the lower point, but does not seem to be as effective.

If you don't have access to a gym or the equipment, you could throw a rope over your chip-up bar and attach weights to the other side to get a similar resistance. (may just wear out the rope faster)

Another good exercise is the row for the upper back and/or pulling arms into your body as you lean over (with a straight back). Also, any of the weight exercises will also strengthen your hands which is great for skiing or wakeboarding. (or holding a Beer.gif while Surfing.gif)

I started preparing for the wakeboard season last year and noticed a reduction in how many times I "let go" or could not hold on to the handle on certain tricks. (also, helped with endurance early in the season)

FWIW,

Mook

HLN -

I have a bench that has an upright with a pulley at the top and a "lat pulldown" bar. I take the bar off and put on a rope handle to do sets pulling weight down to my hip as I stand sideways. It also has a pulley low (for rows) that I can do the same only pulling up from the lower point, but does not seem to be as effective.

If you don't have access to a gym or the equipment, you could throw a rope over your chip-up bar and attach weights to the other side to get a similar resistance. (may just wear out the rope faster)

Another good exercise is the row for the upper back and/or pulling arms into your body as you lean over (with a straight back). Also, any of the weight exercises will also strengthen your hands which is great for skiing or wakeboarding. (or holding a Beer.gif while Surfing.gif)

I started preparing for the wakeboard season last year and noticed a reduction in how many times I "let go" or could not hold on to the handle on certain tricks. (also, helped with endurance early in the season)

FWIW,

Mook

My chin up bar known as our rafters in the garage. I will see if I can make some sort of pulley system that I can use. Thanks!

This is what you need in Santa Clara

My hold up on a gym is that I don't have the foggiest clue on what I should be doing there, what works outs, what loads, reps etc. I don't like being the "noob"

that hemi grill is hilarious! what gas milage does it get - and does it run on biodeisel?

As for the home workout -- I came across this today on CNN. It all about building core strength and legs and you can do it from the comfort of your own couch or desk chair. I tried a few of the exercises and got some burn going...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitnes...tato/index.html

that hemi grill is hilarious! what gas milage does it get - and does it run on biodeisel?

As for the home workout -- I came across this today on CNN. It all about building core strength and legs and you can do it from the comfort of your own couch or desk chair. I tried a few of the exercises and got some burn going...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitnes...tato/index.html

Oh nice that is awesome, let's see how many (more) weird looks I can get at the office today Crazy.gif

Hello everyone,

This year I'm making no excuses for my self, and I want to start working out at home to better my wakeboarding this season. What am I looking for are workouts or exercises that I can do at home.

As of right now I am doing push ups, pull ups, situps, and wall sits. After my first time out this season, my legs and core seemed to do ok. What my weak point was my arms for pulling the handle in on ts cut ins. If you have any good idea's or plans, it would be greatly appreciated.

Have you every seen that device that is made specifically for building water skiing muscles? I’ve got it bookmarked on one of my bazillion PCs and have pics of it somewhere but can’t find it now. It’s a device that sits on the floor and it has an incline (let’s say 45 degrees) that you can increase or decrease the angle.

It kind of looks like this __\

It also has a ski rope and you grab the ski rope and with your feet you hop on this incline and lean back (holding on to the rope) and gives your grip/hands a good workout, along with your forearms, shoulders. They were selling for a couple hundred bucks and I wanted one, but instead jerry rigged something similar. It might have been made by a Malibu owner and I remember someone had one and gave it away and all the new owner had to do was pay for the shipping. Ring any bells?

If anyone is interested I can show you how I made mine for free.

Hello everyone,

Have you every seen that device that is made specifically for building water skiing muscles? I’ve got it bookmarked on one of my bazillion PCs and have pics of it somewhere but can’t find it now. It’s a device that sits on the floor and it has an incline (let’s say 45 degrees) that you can increase or decrease the angle.

It also has a ski rope and you grab the ski rope and with your feet you hop on this incline and lean back (holding on to the rope) and gives your grip/hands a good workout, along with your forearms, shoulders. They were selling for a couple hundred bucks and I wanted one, but instead jerry rigged something similar. It might have been made by a Malibu owner and I remember someone had one and gave it away and all the new owner had to do was pay for the shipping. Ring any bells?

That sound like something my dad's friend had back in the day when they were serious skiers. I would love to see the design!

Hello everyone,

That sound like something my dad's friend had back in the day when they were serious skiers. I would love to see the design!

It's a serious workout ... will see what I can do.

Have you been riding a bike, this is a good time to start? I just changed my workout at the gym to much more reps and cardio, high intense bike riding. Increase the resistance and just go as long as you can until your legs can't take it anymore, last year going into this year was my first time I could really focus on training for the summer since 2000. Season ends around Oct. for me. Lift hard, heavy for strength and more mass until around this time (March), change up workouts to much more reps and less sets focusing on burning more fat and getting your heart beat up. April until season starts, focus on upper/lower back and Quads, any workout for your lower and upper back will work the biceps and forearms

Have you been riding a bike, this is a good time to start? I just changed my workout at the gym to much more reps and cardio, high intense bike riding. Increase the resistance and just go as long as you can until your legs can't take it anymore, last year going into this year was my first time I could really focus on training for the summer since 2000. Season ends around Oct. for me. Lift hard, heavy for strength and more mass until around this time (March), change up workouts to much more reps and less sets focusing on burning more fat and getting your heart beat up. April until season starts, focus on upper/lower back and Quads, any workout for your lower and upper back will work the biceps and forearms

I've been thinking about ridding a bike, but since I've out grown my old one, the thought of actully having to buy one is slowing me down.

I've been thinking about ridding a bike, but since I've out grown my old one, the thought of actully having to buy one is slowing me down.

Not sure how long ago it was you bought one, but I have had the same size for almost 15 years now :) and only gained 15lbs since high school, not because of riding but just trying not to let myself get out of hand if you know what I mean. So you better get on one some way or another Whistling.gif