Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GPS for the boat?

bmontini

Well.. I can't search for GPS as it is under 4 characters Whistling.gif ... so I will have to post a new thread..

I am looking for a GPS unit to put into the boat for the upcoming season. I know my lake pretty well, but with the drought in Georgia, we may have to venture out of our familiar lakes and find some new butter...

I am looking for a unit that is not the best and biggest, but a lighter version.. I am looking at possibly the Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx, or the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx

The main reason I am looking at Garmin, is because I found what might be some great maps for these units (Garmin Us Inland Lakes) as we only boat on lakes in Georgia/Alabama/Tennessee... I don't know if anyone else has good/great lake maps like this... Thoughts?

I was also looking at the Garming nuvi 200 but I see that it has "limited" compatibility with with the nuvi 200. (Not quite sure how limited) but it has such a larger screen.

I came across the nuvi and the GPSMAP76CS (refurb) for under $200 and that sounds like a great deal...

ANY INPUT WOULD BE HELPFUL!!! Don't be shy!!!

Also on a bit of a tangent... If I were to install a GPS/Fishfinder module, would it likely interfere with my built in Depthfinder from Malibu?? Just curious.. I love seeing the depth chart trail on the fishfinder... but I can't bring myself to drill holes in my new BU for mouting, transducer mounting, etc...

THANKS in ADVANCE!!

Well.. I can't search for GPS as it is under 4 characters Whistling.gif ... so I will have to post a new thread...

...Or change your search criteria. :Doh: A search for the word "Garmin" netted the following...

GPS Thread # 1

GPS Thread # 2

GPS Thread # 3

GPS Thread # 4

GPS Thread # 5

GPS Thread # 6

GPS THread # 7

GPS Thread # 8

:Doh: Good Grief...Crazy.gif

GPS Thread # 9,654,375,964,832

There were others but this will get you the idea. :lol:

Edited by NorCaliBu

I have the Garmin Streetpilot 550c in my truck. It's great for finding addresses & streets before you actually get to them. But I'm not sure it works off the streets very well.

I also have the Garmin Etrex Legend HCX. I have handlebar mounts on the ATV, enduro & mt bike for it. In addition to streets, it also leaves a breadcrumb trail, shows water depth & elevation. Definitely a better fit for off the streets.

The software in each unit is made for different purposes. ie; finding addresses or making sure you not going to run aground.

Plus the chassis & mounts for each unit is made for each situation, ie; handlebar mounts or seeing streets at a glance while your driving.

I have a 76Map that I use in the boat. The outdoor type gps will work better in the boat. I have a street pilot 550 it is great in the car and for routing, but doesn't have as many display varibles as the gps 76. The units you mentioned are good. They are the new version of my unit. I wanted the larger hand held unit because I wanted the larger display. IT had a bigger display than the E-Trex units. I also us it on my motorcycle as a speedo and odometer. You can also load topo maps. Mine only has 8mb. Wish it took a memory card or had larger memory. I can't load all the areas that I rome n Missouri.

I have a buddy who works for Garmin who just got me a Nuvi 660. Couple thoughts he had:

This is the newest Garmin and he loves it: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161&pID=11019

He is using a 400 model right now and says it just blows away all the prior handhelds. The 76 series should see some record blow out prices as the Colorado series develops more models.

For more marine use, this one: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=233

Also for bang for the buck, check out the 60 series: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=310&locale=en_US

On a nuvi - you would want at least the 200W which is the wide screen version. They are great for car, and I will use mine in my boat to check the speedo, but for marine use you may want something else.