Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how many bolts attach the illusion x to the boat?

atropine

I have a 2004 LSV with an illusion x tower. I noticed the other day that there is a small gap between the bottom of the tower and the gunwale of the boat; the gap is about 2 mm tall and starts at about the middle of the base of the tower leg and runs all the way to the back of the tower leg. I don't know how the tower is bolted to the boat. Is it just one bolt per leg? 2? If it is 2 bolts per leg, I wonder if there is a bolt that has fallen out on the back end... The tower seems to be pretty solidly attached; I couldn't really make it rattle or rock much...

Yes, there are 3 bolts. I believe there are two relatively close to the front, then they have space where you run the wires down through the tower. Then there is one in the back.

I have an 06 VLX w/ illusion and have tightened the base of the tower to the boat in the past. Just slide your hand up and feel around for the bolts. I think I used a 3/4" socket and an extension to tighten mine. It's a tight fit and you can't really get a full turn but you can tighten it in incraments, one click at a time. I only remember finding two bolts but there could be a third.

Yes, there are 3 bolts. I believe there are two relatively close to the front, then they have space where you run the wires down through the tower. Then there is one in the back.

Correct. 3 bolts on EACH LEG. 2 forward, a gap for wires, and one at the back of each tower leg. I installed an illusion tower after market, but it was my understanding that there is no mat or spacer between the tower and the gunnel. The tower had better sit flat on your gunnel's, or else you have a real problem! The way the legs are beveled, i suppose it could appear as though there was a small gap between the tower leg and the fiberglass.

I'd get under there with a socket (a torque wrench would be ideal) and make sure all 6 bolts are nice and snug.

OK, so I found that the rear bolt had indeed fallen out and was sitting on the floor of the boat back behind the built-in cooler seat. Now, the problem I see is getting up to the bottom side of the gunnel to reinsert it. I didn't have time today, but I am going to remove the 6.5" speaker on that side and try to reach my hand up in there to reinsert the bolt. Hopefully I can then get a socket with an extension in through that hole and get it tight. If I can't reach through the speaker hole, it lookw like I will have to remove the whole black plastic insert on that side of the boat (the piece that holds the speaker, the cupholders, etc.). Anyone know how to do this? I looked briefly but couldn't really see how that black plastic thing was installed or how to remove it...

I was able to remove the side speaker and reach up in there far enough to get the bolt started, then use a socket with a swivel and extension to tighten it down. All is well now. I'm still curious as to how that black plastic piece comes out, though....